Is getting a second master degree worth it, or should I just get additional courses?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CTSpaEngTeach, Mar 3, 2015.

1. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Mar 3, 2015

So here's the deal:
    I got my B.A. in 2013 (Spanish major, Linguistics minor), and right after that, I decided to get into teaching. Some people suggested a post-baccalaureate teaching endorsement, but I figured that a master degree would be a better idea. So I enrolled into an M.Ed. program (with a K-12 licensure), which I am really close to completing. Now, I am not an expert in all things teacher education, so I am trying to research and see what my options are.
    I have been thinking about trying to add credentials to my soon-to-be-conferred licensure in order to be more attractive to potential employees. My interests are Early Childhood Education and TESOL (or Bilingual Education), and I am searching for dual programs like ECE/Special Ed ECE or ECE/TESOL. My questions are:
    1-Should I try getting a second master in any of those disciplines, or should I simply get extra credits that would allow me to get additional endorsements?
    2-If I complete a second master degree that doesn't include any licensure, would that master be worthless when it's time to get an extra certification?
    (AM I making sense?)

I am quite confused with all the different options out there...

Thanks for any help!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2015

Go for extra credits/licensure at this point...whatever costs less...you want to be an attractive candidate without seeming 'expensive':2cents:

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2015

If not everyone in your state HAS to be authorized to teach English learners, getting that certification is likely to stand you in good stead: remarkably many states seem to be up to the gunwales in English learners. (With your linguistics minor, some of the coursework is likely to bore you; we'll hope it doesn't irritate you, too.)

5. Falconeddie1970

Falconeddie1970 Rookie

Mar 3, 2015

I would definitely go the route of adding additional endorsements, because getting my Master's degree hurt me due to the fact that they have to pay you more. Having a Master's in education made me, "budget unfriendly", according to the state of Alabama. I do not know if most states are like that, but I would look into it before committing to pursuing that degree.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 4, 2015

May I suggest waiting to add the endorsements until you are employed? At that point, the employer in many states will offer tuition reimbursement as a benefit, so you would be going to school on your employers dime. This is irrelevant if you have an unlimited supply of money that doesn't happen to include student loans.

7. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Mar 4, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion! :) I have heard about tuition reimbursement benefits, and I wonder if the district that I plan to work at offers that. I guess I have to go check the NYSED site. Thanks again!

8. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Mar 4, 2015

Interesting point that I had never considered before. Hmm. This is something that really needs to be pondered; thanks for letting me know...

9. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Mar 4, 2015

Thanks for the advice! That's something that I had never thought about!

10. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Mar 4, 2015

Thanks to you and everybody else for your responses. I really appreciate your help. I have a lot to think about. Wish me luck. :)

11. ArtTeacher01

ArtTeacher01 Rookie

Mar 4, 2015

You might look into whether in your state you 'have' to take classwork to add a certification. In many states, once you hold an initial teacher certification, you can add subject areas by taking a test. With your minor, you might be able to take a test and add certification...

Adam

12. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Mar 4, 2015

Thanks, Adam. There are so many things that I need to find out and figure out, and your (and everyone else's) advice really helps me organize my thoughts.
    My ultimate goal is teaching in NYC. It's just that sometimes the NYSED website feels almost labyrinthine. I'll have to figure it out and make some calls, I suppose.
    Thanks again!