Is finding a music teaching job particularly hard these days?

Discussion in 'Music Teachers' started by reddy84, Jan 13, 2011.

1. reddy84

reddy84 New Member

Jan 13, 2011

Hi everyone,
    I've been out of college for a year and a half now. I have my BM in Music Education, and have been on the job search ever since I graduated. I've had several long term subbing assignments, but no permanent jobs. I have been interviewed several times, but nothing has fallen into place. I'm feeling a little down and out, because I know several people in my field who got a job the moment they got out of college.

Is getting a music job hard these days, or is it just me? I live in the Northern VA area right outside of DC, just to give you some perspective.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

It's always been hard.

Most schools have one music teacher. My (Catholic) high school of 2500+ kids in grades 6-12 has a math department of 22 and a music department of 2. (Kids take math every day, every year. Our kids take chorus as 7th graders and as freshmen, and that's a couple of times a week, not daily.)

The economic situation isn't helping things, but Art and Music have always been tough markets.

4. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jan 14, 2011

Here in Ohio I know of 2 districts where the music teacher retired then was rehired by the district. I think that really sucks for those looking for a job! It's tough out there for all teachers...If you can't find a public school job, Catholic schools are always looking for music teachers. You may have to teach in more than one school to make any money however. Our music teacher has 3 schools...

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2011

I've certainly noticed fewer openings for music teachers in my district. Like Alice said, there just aren't that many music teachers at a school, even in great economic times, so your chances are already pretty limited.

I would certainly recommend that you have a K-12 music license so that you have the option to teach in elementary, middle, or high school. It's pretty likely that you'll have to teach at more than one school, at least based on what I've seen, so you should be prepared for that.

You might have some luck looking for jobs at specialized schools like magnets and charters that focus on music. Here in my city we have at least one magnet school that is all about music and performing arts, so they obviously employ a lot of music teachers.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2011

We have an exceptional music teacher who has been at our school for the 7 years since it opened. I can't see her making a move and would easily see her retiring from our school in 20 years. There seems to be very little movement with music teachers and most new positions only open up through retirements. However, a good music teacher (ours begins with band instruments in grade 5, she teaches in English and in French and runs 8 extra-curricular groups) are worth 10x their weight in gold. Look into private schools and schools that have specialized arts programs. You may also want to consider volunteering to run an extra-curricular group at a few local schools as a way to get your foot in the door.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 5, 2011

It is a tough market! We have 3000 students & 6 music teachers. That includes general music, band, & choir. My last district also had 6 teachers, but almost 1000 more students. I agree with above posters that suggested private schools. I taught for several years in Catholic Schools before I got into a public school. Good luck! :D

8. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Jun 20, 2011

It is not tough to find Music teaching jobs. There are many reliable online resources for finding music jobs.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 20, 2011

It is difficult in my district and in my city. In addition to what others have said about there just not being that many jobs to begin with, it's also an area that is generally the first cut when there are budget cuts.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2011

Where do you teach, Katie? In my area of the US, there is ONE music teacher per elementary school...sometimes shared between schools. Openings are few and far between and there could be HUNDREDS of applicants for one opening.

11. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jun 24, 2011

Ironically found this post today. My brother is a superintendent. His district has 3 music teacher openings this year. There are only 8 music teachers in the district. 2 were new last year. He said he had 140 applicants for the 3 jobs.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2011

Bizarre, isn't it?

We've hired 3 new social studies teachers this summer-- THREE!!! One is moving, one is in hospice, and the third died in a car accident last summer.

My husband's school hired 2 math teachers-- two of theirs retired.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 24, 2011

My parish did originally have music teachers in each school, but in 2 elementary schools the music teacher left (one left teaching, one transferred with husband). They did not fill those positions. The only other elementary now, with a music teacher is my school. She teaches music, health, and PE. That's probably the only way she has been able to keep her position.

14. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

I have been out of school for two years now and am having the same problem. I have had a few interviews but those schools told me that they had a record number of applicants. It can be very discouraging!

15. TroubleClef

TroubleClef New Member

Sep 13, 2011

I just relocated to Phoenix, AZ. With music, it depends on 1.)What level you are teaching and B.) how devoted your city is to the arts. I attended college in Mississippi. Southern cities are very big on music, as marching band and choirs are very important to their culture, so there is ALWAYS a need for music teachers, assistant band directors, band directors, etc. Most schools have 3 music teachers. The city I attended undergrad in usually hired graduates from my university straight out of college. I was actually offered positions at 3 schools in 3 different cities (one urban, one rural, one private; however, my husband wanted to move out west to pursue his career.

Upon searching the AZ education job boards, I found 90 SCHOOLS that were hiring music teachers, 18 in Phoenix Alone! While many were charter schools, there were quite a few public, private and catholic schools who were in need of teachers. The k-8 market experiences a lot of turnover, because most of us instrumentalists want the big bad band director job and jump at the first opportunity. I teach k-6, and will be looking for a high school position myself next year.

My advice is to search various state education job boards, see which city has the biggest need, and send your resume with documentaion of your experience and good reccomendations. Be open to travel, as some parts of the country are just not really big on the arts, as many states have been experiencing budget cuts and moneies are allocated to the sciences and language arts first, fine arts second.

16. crystly448

crystly448 New Member

Oct 31, 2012

According to me, finding a music teacher is not a complex and hard process but it depends on the student's interest because most of the students takes the help of the online music classes that's why the demand of the music teacher in schools/colleges is going down.

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 31, 2012

I live near Phoenix, Arizona. We can't find enough good music teachers. When we hire one, they often don't stay many years. They often go to another school that pays more money and which is closer to where they live.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2013

Scarlet...that's not how it works in education. Read the thread...music education jobs are few and far between.... Salaries tend to be contracted.

19. Catie Monkeey

Catie Monkeey Rookie

Mar 14, 2014

Your post has me worried.

Hi, I saw your post and thought it helpful in my decision making. I hope you find work soon!

Newcomer

Australia
    Music Teacher
    Smile Australian teacher looking for work in the US.
    Hi, my name is Catie Monkeey and I am a Australian/US citizen currently living in Australia. I have been teaching both secondary (high school) and primary (middle school) music for 6 years and hold a Graduate Diploma of Education and a Bachelor of Music.

The reason I write this post is that I am wanting a new experience and I have decided to move to the US. I am unsure which state to move to and have a lot to consider. So far in my research I have found that there are different licences for each state and that Indiana appears to have similar teaching standards and curriculum. I am wondering if anyone could help in the decision making and help me with tips or advice for finding work. It would also be nice to meet like-minded people on this forum and would be happy to share the information I have gained from living and teaching in Australia.

Things I am looking for in a state:
    work!
    seasonal weather
    friendly people
    reasonable living costs and housing
    parklands, rivers, lakes etc.

I am willing to readjust my list as I am really wanting to try and find work. I have heard that teaching is a very competitive career in the US.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,
    Catie

20. VAmusiclessons

VAmusiclessons New Member

May 19, 2014

Have you tried to teach privately? I have been teaching since 2003, and it is always kids who wants to learn to play an instrument.

21. Gusto

Gusto Guest

Nov 11, 2015

I have been teaching for about 10 years and find that I agree with what the previous teacher has said. Teaching privately is a way to get cash (usually) and not have to deal with angencies or school taking there slice. If you are kid friendly then there are loads of opportunites, especially online and by using directories. Good luck :)

22. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2015

Music jobs are scarce and I can vouch that they have been that way for the last 7 years, at least in NJ and KS.

23. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

Oct 16, 2016

Try one mostly unexplored avenue. That is teaching music online. Now don't react if you have never heard about it before. It is quite doable. It spreads your field of work and hence more chances of getting work. Search the net and you will be surprised how much online music teachers are in demand. Happy searching!

24. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2016

It's hard for AZ to keep teachers PERIOD. If you really want to teach, you can move to AZ, and pretty much be handed a job! Then of course you build up your resume and can move to a more desirable location, if desired.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2016

Readingrules posted her comment 5 years ago. This is an old thread. Funny how some threads get resurrected!

26. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 16, 2016

Readingrules is me...I am a him. :)