Is August the longest month ever?(financially speaking)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tiffharmon2001, Aug 29, 2009.

1. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

Oh my goodness! Is this month ever going to end??? :confused:I get paid on Tuesday (the 1st) but it seems like it's never going to get here! This month we have had so many extra expenses and I am just ready for September to be here. So far, our family took an overnight trip out of state, I've bought supplies for bulletin boards and the first week of school (thank you Dollar Tree!;)), had to buy my oldest a backpack, trapper, and school supplies for middle school (thank you grandma for getting the rest), had to pay gymnastics tuition for 3 kids, had to make a down payment on my middle schooler's trombone, purchased a school shirt for me to wear to the district pep rally, plus several more odds and ends. :(Still to come-we are going to the county fair tonight and my oldest daughter's open house and book fair is on Monday (why they didn't wait until Tuesday or Thursday is beyond me:|. They all get paid on Tuesday too).
    I just started a load a laundry and realized that I only have about 4 loads of detergent left :unsure: Guess whatever I can stuff into those four loads will be it until Tuesday. :eek:hmy: Ugh!
    Anyone else hate August?

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 29, 2009

January is the worst for me. We get paid when we leave school for Christmas vacation and not again until the end of January. It's usually like 6 weeks.
    I did use to hate all the extras to get kids ready to school. Mine are grown and I don't miss this time of the year at all!!

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 29, 2009

I am sooooo with you tiffharmon. I am holding on to a thread here waiting for Tuesday to come and with the two kids, one starting Middle School and getting my classroom ready I thought I was going to lose my mind. Just when I thought ok, good I'm going to make it... My cousin had her baby early (healthy)!!!! She wasn't due until after the first. I missed her baby shower because I was on a trip, so I can't go to the hospital empty handed!!!! WHY SO EARLY????? hee heee

5. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

December's my tough month, money-wise. Two birthdays, Christmas, and our real estate and personal property taxes due. On top of the usual bills. Yuck! But I do love the season!!

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 29, 2009

I'm barely holding on this month. I had to buy textbooks for school and took an expensive vacation. I get paid monday, and it can't come fast enough!

7. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 29, 2009

You guys have it easy. We don't get paid until Sept 15!:eek:

Thankfully my dp has a different union, and they get paid every 2 weeks for 11 months.. so we have that income coming in, but I sure miss mine!

8. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

Hooray for a healthy baby, but I know what you mean. It seems there is always one more thing that you weren't planning for.

9. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 29, 2009

I hear you! even though my school pays us over 12 months, August is wiping me out. Two kids (a junior and a senior) and all their back to school fees, getting stuff for the room, electric bill that went through the roof, and 3 birthday's. The middle of Sept cannot come soon enough!

10. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

If I don't work summer school I get paid from October-July. Therefore, I still have all of September to go. I had a savings account I don't understand what happened to it.

11. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2009

Ditto to all those struggling! My husband is also an electrician and his company can not get their money in order. We have his last paycheck from a week ago that still isn't good plus now we're waiting on his check from Friday to come in the mail. It stinks :( I actually got paid a few days early for some reason (typically get paid last working day of the month). I should have been paid on Monday but it's already in my account. Go figure! But I'm not complaining, I have all of our bills except 1 paid for the month. Now we just have to wait till his check is good too!

My worst month is definitely January as well. 6 weeks is a very very long time! It'll be better this year because I'll be on maternity leave-- less gas and no daycare to pay for :)

12. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 29, 2009

we've got about a hundred dollars to last us until Sept. 15th (when dh gets paid). All of our bills are paid so it's just food and grocery. I've been fortunate to build up a small stockpile pantry so I should be good with $50 for food the rest will go to gas.

I don't get paid until the 28th-oh happy day when that comes.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 29, 2009

August is more expensive for me but not the worst month. December and March are my expensive months. In March I have 3 family members and 2 friends with birthdays within a 15 day stretch. December is just hard because of the holidays and parties one feels obligated to attend.