Is asking about salary during an interview inappropriate

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by footballfan1989, Sep 28, 2015.

1. footballfan1989

footballfan1989 Rookie

Sep 28, 2015

I have an interview at a Catholic school and it isn't like a public school that has their salary schedule posted. I wanted to get opinions how it may look if I ask about salary. While it wouldn't be my only consideration but I would be leaving a job and I have a family to think about. I don't want to seem focused on money but it is a consideration.

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Sep 29, 2015

I wouldn't. Just wait and see if they offer you the job, they would tell you then.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2015

I would wait until they make an offer.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2015

I'm with the others to wait until an offer is made.

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2015

It may be lousy etiquette but I often ask BEFORE the interview and I haven't lost an interview because of it yet. However it may depen on the type of place and type of job. When I get called to set up an interview I say something like this: "Before setting up a time to meet, I want to make sure we're not wasting each other's time. I am very interested in your school/company (insert specific tidbit here) but I have certain needs regarding (salary/schedule/location) and would like to first determine if this is compatible."

I had to do this after I spent considerable amounts of time and energy preparing for and going to interviews only to later find out that it was a total waste of time due to technicalities that could have been cleared up earlier. I explain this briefly because I don't want to look too aggressive by asking these questions early on, but it's important to me and I have found most people understanding and respectful of that. It helps that I'm overqualified for most of the positions I'm applying for, so they're interested in talking to me anyway and also understanding when I say I am aiming for a specific salary range.

7. Boba

Boba Companion

Oct 10, 2015

Ask before or after, never during unless they bring it up. There's been private schools on Edjoin that don't list so I email and ask before I bother applying.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 11, 2015

I hadn't thought to ask beforehand. That being said, isn't this information usually available through the Department of Education?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2015

Salary is somewhat negotiable in my district in terms of starting step if one has experience, masters degree, etc. The NJ DOE doesn't set salary scales and while public info, salary/steps can be difficult to find for a specific district.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 11, 2015

In CA, it's VERY easy information to access usually (just Google "_____school district certificated salary schedule" and it comes up immediately), but not usually for private and charter schools. However, even in the public districts it's sometimes difficult to find out what step/column you would be in. Many districts do not give full credit for years of service somewhere else.

I wouldn't ask until I've received an offer. However, since private schools around here typically pay FAR less than a living wage, I think I might do what Boba mentioned and email before even applying.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 11, 2015

Another important thing to ask about is the benefits package. I pay a dollar or two a month for my health insurance (adding my husband would be a VERY different story, which is why I don't do it...), but in many districts, I would be paying $200 or $400 a month for just my benefits, or even more. That is a very significant expense and something that can greatly impact your salary!

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 11, 2015

I wouldn't bring up salary in an interview. If you interview and then get a job offer, then ask for how much. If it is too low, then I would negotiate. That is the appropriate time to discuss salary.