Is April different?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by SwimPenumbra, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SwimPenumbra

SwimPenumbra Rookie

Apr 7, 2011

Hello, Everyone.
    I am in California. I got sub work almost everyday in February and March; but, it seemed like I only got 3 days of a week in April. Is there a reason for this? Also, is it true that you should tell your district you wanna sub for all subjects, so you could get more phone calls?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2011

Actually, April is our month where we have the most teachers out with sick days, professional days, and personal days I think.

I would say that you could sub for all subjects that you feel comfortable teaching. I wouldn't put down to sub for a subject that you have no background in though.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2011

I'm in CA too, but it's hard for me to say how busy I'd be personally this month because I've been on a long-term assignment helping out a few of the SLPs in the district since December or longer.

Yes, do tell them you want to sub for EVERYTHING if you want to stay busy. It may be too late for this school year, but next school yr, you may want to sub for a 2nd or 3rd district to make sure you stay busy pretty much all week long.

Good luck!

5. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Apr 7, 2011

Here in PA we are just finishing standardized testing this week. I would imagine that next week it will start picking up like crazy.

6. bunches3614

bunches3614 Rookie

Apr 7, 2011

I'm in California and the district that I sub for is just finishing up their CST's. Our sub coordinator said it would pick up as soon as they are done. Which for us, is next week.

7. SwimPenumbra

SwimPenumbra Rookie

Apr 7, 2011

Thanks, Everyone.

I really appreciated the responses. Thank you, guys.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2011

Not in Cali, but in my N J district, we're out next week on spring break, off for Good Friday and we are busy preparing for upcoming standardized tests on the days we do have school. Throw in it's report card and parent conference time as well...you'd have to really be sick to take too much time off with all that going on.

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 8, 2011

Well, around here the various districts where I work have spring break, parent conferences and the begnning of testing in April. It's a mish-mash and I never know how it will turn out.

10. azure

azure Companion

Apr 8, 2011

If you want to be busy you should definitely put down that you'll sub for all subjects. You don't need to have any background in them. High school teachers don't expect you to actually teach things like foreign languages, physics, calculus, etc.