Is anything quite as good as your first?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Jun 9, 2009.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

I must admit.. as my first full year comes to a close I am incredibly sad to see the year end. My class is sooo wonderful I am already anticipating tears as they leave for the last time. I really do love all my kids.. it has been an unbelievable year.

That being said, I am actually slightly anxious about the next year. Is this a typical feeling? I'm worried that I won't like my class as much as I like this current class! For lack of a better example, I feel like I have an adorable pet puppy and now I have to get rid of it and hope the next one will be just as cute.

I'm hoping this is a feeling I may experience every year... Am I crazy for thinking this way?

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2009

NOT REALLY!
    Your TOPIC cracked me up.:lol:
    You know what I'm thinking about!
    :D
    Rebel1

4. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

I have found that it just gets better every year.

5. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jun 9, 2009

lmao rebel, thats horrible

6. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 9, 2009

My first two years I taught Kindergarten, and I loved it. Then I decided to switch to a different district. On that I felt has a little more stability, and to do that I had to switch to 3rd grade. I was sooooo sad to see my 2nd yr. kindergaren class go. I loved them. I wasn't really into 3rd grade. I missed my K's all year long!!! I still do! I'm switching (in my same school) back to Kindergarten for next year, and I feel like it's going to be great! I can't wait for that age again, and I, like you, hope I have that feeling again next spring!!

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

Put me in the same camp as rebel :lol:

I am starting to dread the last day now... With no job on the horizon, and definitely no job at my current schools... it's going to be rough.

8. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

My second year kids were even better than my first, so it might get even better! Ya never know!

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 9, 2009

I am the exact opposite. While I am nervous for next year I am more ready to be done with this one and start over. First year here, too.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 9, 2009

My first year had ups and downs. Two classes of mine I REALLY adored, 1 so-so, and 1 that I dreaded for most of the year, but they got better. They'll always be special because they were my first class. Another teacher who taught my students too said that these year's students beat her first year of students--- so they honestly were a great group.

With next year's kids I can't hold it against them and I'm sure I'll find plenty to adore about them. I think its unfair for us to hold a grudge because one class isn't as good as another. There's already a few I know I'm going to but heads with and maybe they'll grow up a lot over the summer and it won't be so bad.

But yes I think how you're feeling is very normal--- when my kids left this year I only sorta started crying when one of my sweetest students ran up to me for a hug. I only really cried after I came home and started talking to my boyfriend about the day.

11. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

This is exactly how I felt when I was pregnant with my second child! And yes, I love her just as much!

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2009

If your first year was good, your next will be better.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2009

I think it gets much better. I was pretty together in my first year; but there are all sorts of nuances to teaching I did not even notice my first year that I now see and enjoy.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

I had a great first year, but I barely remember it. There is just a nice ruby glow around the memories as it being 'GOOD'. Same with my second year. The kids are awesome in the moment, but when you get your new 'babies', you focus 100% on them. And then they move on, and you get your NEW babies. It's great when they call or e-mail me, but I never find myself wishing I had them back to teach again.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2009

When I finished my first year-long long-term position it was hard to say good-bye. The kids were really special and we had a great year; I thought it would never get any better. A lot of those students went to high school with my son and many have just finished their first year of university. A couple of years later, I sobbed when saying good-bye to a very special grade 4/5 class; I was leaving the school. I thought that I would never feel that wasy about a class again. I went back for their grade 8 graduation a couple of years ago and they were thrilled to see me. 3 years ago, I was sad to have the year with my grade 5 students end. They were such a special group and we accomplished some amazing things. This year I am working with many of them in grade 8 and it will be hard to see them go on to high school. At this point, I wonder if I will ever feel this way about a group of kids again. I know that I will; not every year, but often.

16. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

NOW!
    With ;)"me kidding" out of my system, IT DOES get a lot better with practice! Your confidence will kick in and you will get that satisfaction KNOWING that YOU are in teaching because you LOVE IT and you WANT TO MAKE A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES of our FUTURE TEAM PLAYERS & LEADERS!
    Those are my reasons of why I am a teacher.:angel:
    Good luck and may you wake up in the morning and scream, "Hey! I am being active instead of just passive!"
    :cool:
    Rebel1

17. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

I loved my first class. However, looking back I always feel guilty because I realize how much I didn't know back then. I did my best and gave 110%, but there is so much you can only learn with time and experience.

18. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

I am right there with you. I feel so bad for my first class. I had no idea what I was doing. I always thought I would teach K, 1st, or 2nd. 5th never crossed my mind. I was so unprepared. Those poor kids.:unsure:

19. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Jun 10, 2009

I actually scrolled over the topic, thinking "Surely not..." :eek:

But back to your question, I just finished my 4th year and bawled like a baby on the last day, just like I did at the end of my 1st year. Can't say it's been that way every year or with every kid, but you will like your next class.

But you know what they say, "You'll always remember your first!" ;)

20. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

Same here. I teared up once I got home. I must have bored my husband enough to put him in tears as well, since that was all I talked about that night :)

21. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

Well that's good to know! I'm excited for next year but definitely sad to end this year.... but also equally glad that summer vacation is here :) :) :)

And yes... I did phrase the title that way on purpose ;) .. sometimes my threads go without notice and I really wanted to get your attention so I could read some worthy feedback! haha. Certainly worked lol.

But c'mon.. let's be professional now... haha

22. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 10, 2009

I really think it gets better year after year.

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2009

*giggling* a lot of these responses sounds like they could be referring to something else..... hee hee...

Oh, and no, my first year was the best year!

24. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

I think every year gets better and better. (Of course, there can always be a few awful or wonderful years mixed in!) Yes, I will always have that special place in my heart for my first year kids. On the other hand, the more experience you have as a teacher, the better you get, so you will probably start to enjoy it more. Also, as you get a better grasp for the content that you teach, you will have more time to really get to know your students as individuals. For example, my first year I found that I was just hanging on for dear life! I was so worried about meeting standards, learning the ropes, and just surviving that I felt that I never truly got to know the kids. Now that I know what I'm doing more, I have time to interact and learn about my students and I put the kids, rather than the content first.

So, in summary...there are many great years ahead of you and classes that you are sure to adore! Never fear.

25. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 10, 2009

Exactly. I just finished my first year and even though I think I did a pretty good job, I know those poor kids were my guinnea pigs. :whistle: