Is anyoner else unhappy tonight/

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Jan 2, 2011.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jan 2, 2011

Is anyone else unhappy tonight?

Out of the 365 days per year, the Sunday before returning to class after winter break is always my most unhappy day of the year.
    With major holidays gone and the year only 40% complete, I know there will be nothing more than a couple three day weekends for almost the next six months(no spring break).
    No week has more of a "back to the grind" feel to it than the first week of January after the holidays.
    Subs who have this as merely a supplementary job can take more time off if they want, so I guess this wouldn't apply to them; but I need to return ASAP, even though I am not yet in the mood.

Is anyone else unhappy tonight, or are there some of you who are in a great mood because work is "finally" starting up again?

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 3, 2011

Personally, I'm looking forward to getting back in the classroom.

Am I unhappy tonight? No, but I am tired since I worked 3-11 at the hotel. And since I got a call from a coworker asking if I could sub for her tomorrow morning, I really SHOULD be in bed by now since I will have to be at school by 7:30am instead of just getting up at that time. :blush:

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2011

Hmmm, I wouldn't say unhappy. I am a bit stressed out (I have so many things I need to do tomorrow such as get my cat back from the pound- catnapping!!!! :(, apply for teaching jobs, get car fixed, etc). But, it's all about just taking it a day at a time. Before you know it, it'll be summer vacation. It does seem like a long haul, though. I know once I get back into the swing of things, I'll be in a much better mood. I'm just spoiled with the whole sleeping in thing. :p I have pretty bad insomia, so it's nice to be able to catch up on the sleep in the mornings.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2011

The good part of going back in January is that first graders in January become students. It's like a magic wand has been waved and they really buckle down.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2011

I LOVE vacation. And this time of year is hard, with such short days and such ugly weather.

But I wouldn't say I'm unhappy to be going back.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2011

Right now, not so happy (but that's because of the less than 4 hours sleep I'm running on). I am eager to see my students--I've been worried about a few of them. We'll ease in to things today (primarily because of how I'm feeling), then full-steam ahead tomorrow.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 3, 2011

Even though I didn't get everything accomplished over break, and I feel like I'll be starting off the new semester in a mad dash, I'm ready to get back into the classroom and get started.

I won't like getting up early, though!

If school was 10 to 5, I'd be set! :)

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 3, 2011

A friend of mine (also a teacher) and I had that exact same sentiment. If school started at 10 am, life would be perfect!:cool: (Well, that and if our salaries multiplied and we could find the cure to cancer and solve the world peace issue....:haha:)

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 3, 2011

I have to have routine. I love my school and my job, and I'm glad to get back to the kids. To me, the most depressing day of the year is the night before the state standardized tests. LOL

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 3, 2011

I'm not unhappy in general nor am I unhappy w/ the situation of being back to the ratrace. Sure, all good things come to an end, so I just roll w/ the punches. Honestly, no vacation/break's ever long enough.

However, I'm starting to get unhappy about the much bigger picture of my work situation. I am ready for big changes for this new year. I need to be accepted to a grad school or else, I feel like I'll be in a rut of either having to continue to sub (which I do NOT want) OR having a SLPA job, which I guess I'll do if I'm not yet accepted to grad school.

This school year's been lousy w/ sub jobs for me. I've only had a regular gig of 1 day/wk because when I was going through my SLPA program this past fall, I had to be available M-Th to work at this speech clinic, but that was only for the 1st 3 mos of the school year, so that knocked me out of getting long-term SLP jobs for the rest of the year since my district put in 2 other long-term SLP subs in my place.

12. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Jan 3, 2011

I was very unhappy yesterday. I actually took a sleeping pill because I was so anxious about going back. I have been so motivated this year and have been having a great year with my class. However, the week before break the administrative team really stressed me out about our upcoming state tests. They have changed the way they want us to do our reading program and have made us feel like we are a bunch of incompetent teachers.
    After going back today, I was glad to be there, because I really enjoy my class - well most of them.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jan 3, 2011

Coming back from the break is always hard...

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 3, 2011

I figure you can't get to the end of the year unless you start second semester, so bring it on...

15. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jan 3, 2011

Many varied responses here.

I was fortunate to begin with my easiest job of the year; a 12:30PM to 6:30PM job subbing for the after school tutoring program. All I had to do was rotate among four classes and help monitor them while college students tutored the students. It doesn't get any easier.

One way to ease the unhappy transition would be for winter break to start on a Thursday and end on a Wednesday.
    Even though the break would last 14 instead of 16 days, it would make returning more tolerable knowing you are only two days away from a reprieve. Then , on the following Monday, you have already adjusted somewhat to the work routine so it is not as bad.

This will never happen of course.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 4, 2011

It could...if January 1 was on a Tuesday, that would put Christmas Day on a Wednesday...the break might be from Friday the 20th to Wednesday the 2nd...

17. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jan 4, 2011

Winter breaks here in CA always start on Saturday.

The only time the first day back is not a Monday is when New Year's Day falls on a Sunday or Monday. In this case, we return to school on Tuesday.

The worst day for New Years is Saturday, which was the case this year. This gives us only one day off after the holiday and you return on Monday.

The best day for New Years is Tuesday. This gives us five days off after the holiday.

Wether it be as a student or a teacher, I never recall returning to school any later than a Tuesday.