Is anyone "that teacher"?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mathemagician, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

In my school we have one notorious math teacher. The kids hate her (from what they say), but the parents love her. She assigns no less than 30 hw problems a night, the kids spend the class period just copying tons of overheads, and she basically has a "no nonsense" approach to discipline where the kids barely ever talk with one another. The kids come out masters of the material, and some even admit afterwards to missing her, but while they're in her class, it's all horror stories.
    Might I add that she also gives most kids their "first B" or "first C" or "first F" whatever it may be.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

No, I've got a good reputation with admin, families and students. I have excellent classroom mgt, good test scores, rapport with colleagues and community...you don't have to be 'that teacher' to get positive results.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2012

I'm definitely more strict than other teachers, but the kids don't hate me. In fact, I don't think there's any teacher in our school that the kids hate.

5. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 14, 2012

No.. but somebody who I collaborate closely with is like that.

I love having her ALg 2 kids and my Alg 2 kids in my Pre Calc class.. I don't have to worry about reviewing much with them.

6. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

I had a teacher like that in high school, but the parents didn't like her either. She had complaint after complaint by students, parents, and other teachers. She wasn't there next year,so I'm guessing they didn't renew her contract.

7. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 14, 2012

Nope. Not that teacher. Know many. It isn't my style. I like the kids too much to have them sit down and shut up.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

I work with a teacher like that.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 14, 2012

I've been told I have a reputation for being one of the strictest teachers.

I also have kindergartners coming up to me who are planning on being in my class in fourth grade.

So not sure what to make of it.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

I definitely had "that teacher" a few times in high school. If it was a subject I naturally understood pretty well, I probably learned more material than any other class. If it was a subject I would need more help with, I was completely screwed because "that teacher" is only interested in students helping themselves. For example, my history class that was set up like this was fine- I do well with memorization, and although I hated the class (SO boring) I got a 4 on the AP exam and got out of taking history in college, which was really what was most important to me at the time anyway. I would rather have that than a teacher who was super "fun" but didn't prepare us for the test. On the other hand, I seemed to get "that teacher" for math practically every year, and I needed a lot of help with math. I didn't have a quality math teacher in HS until junior year, and what a difference it made! I can see that other students who were naturally good at math would have done well with the stricter teachers who were getting through all of the material at a quick pace, but I needed someone to work with me at my pace, and I have that last math teacher to thank for finally showing me that I CAN do math. So I guess it depends on what each individual student needs from the teacher :)

I think I'm pretty strict with my students, but I honestly think in elementary young looking teachers have an advantage because students assume you're nice no matter what. On the first day we were organizing our community supplies and I had them all collecting different things and doing different tasks- just normal organizational stuff, and I had at least 3 kids tell me I was "so nice" when I came to get stuff from them. When I left my last job and was telling my students about my replacement coming to meet them, literally every single group I had said, "Is she old??!!" with horrified looks on their faces. When I asked why it mattered, they said they didn't want someone "mean."

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

Or disadvantage---depending how you look at it!

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

No. For starters, I do not believe in daily homework.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 18, 2012

For history, I would probably agree for you as most of my daily history HW in school was just busy work. I think it is necessary to have daily (or almost daily) HW in a skills based course (such as math).

14. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 18, 2012

I don't necessarily assign written homework every day, but homework is definitely valuable in a history class. My homework is designed either to give students the foundation for the following day's lesson or to reinforce what students learned in a previous lesson. For example, in my AP class, students need to read/take notes on each section before coming to class. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to discuss the material. In my other classes, homework usually relates to what we learned in class that day. For example, if we spend time in class reading and discussing FDR's Pearl Harbor speech, for homework I might have students write letters either supporting or opposing the US's declaration of war. Also, a "standing" homework assignment in my class is for students to review their notes. I always tell them that they should be doing that every night, even if there is no written homework, so they are not cramming when it comes time for tests.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

ICAM. That's one of the many reasons I do not like teaching skills based courses - outside of the fact that I MUCH prefer teaching content/ideas than skills.

When I hear "Process Charts," I run.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

I have never taught at a school in my current district where each child has a book to take home. I get a class set of 25-30 each year and have to make copies. Students are only given math books to take home.

17. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 18, 2012

I'm not sure what is going to happen with our freshmen textbooks this year, myself. We have used the same books for over 10 years, and most of them are starting to show their age. We got 50 new books last year (new publisher and everything), and the two honors classes used those books while the rest of the students used the older ones for one last year. This year, we are getting another 60 books. That gives us 110 books for about 275 students. I'm not sure how that one is going to be worked out!

18. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 22, 2012

Yes, Ms V . Her class was right across the hall from the AP's office. She caught flack over tight fitting tops or something and poor management. They brought in an administrator, who asked to resign. She went alone without representation, and they walked all over her. She's gone now. :(

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

Sounds like a situation we've read here before on the forums...Kind of has a familiar ring to it...

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2012

I think the kids like me but also talk about how challenging my class is, which is exactly how I want to be described as a teacher. I am also often the teacher who might give them their first B or C, especially in my honors classes.

But I don't know if I would say I am THAT teacher.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

My kids are glad to see my name on their schedules.

And even happier if they get me a second time.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2012

Yesterday, a former student came to visit me when she dropped off her younger brother at my classroom.

She said, "I'm so jealous of my brother! He is in your class this year and gets to do all that fun stuff you did with us."

I'd like to think I have a good reputation with the parents, too, especially since I've had siblings/cousins/neighbors/friends of most students.

23. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Aug 29, 2012

I try to be "that" teacher every year. Never manage it.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

I'm 'that teacher' for my kids.