Is anyone seriously reconsidering...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TampaTeacher2Be, Feb 15, 2009.

1. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

...their decision to go into teaching?

I have been - quite considerably - for the past month or so. I am in the 2nd (of 5) semester of my grad program to get initial professional certification in ESE K-12, and I hold a temporary certificate in K-6, ESE k-12, and Math 6-12. I have been subbing since the beginning of the school year, and I have been on countless teaching interviews (the one I went on last week brought the total up to 14) and yet I have gotten nothing.

In the meantime I have had to take a retail job I am horribly overqualified for, because I was not making enough $ subbing, and I needed to have some income coming in, especially over the summer.

The thing is, I don't know what I would do if I decided to change course - the field I was in before I switched to teaching - the job market is even more grim.

A part of me wants to keep plugging forward and finish my degree.

But then I start thinking about what will happen when I finish - will I be relegated to being nothing but a sub for the rest of my career? Will I have busted my butt to get a Masters Degree so I can make $10 an hour? That part of me wonders if I should just got my losses and do something more technical/vocational.

I had originally planned to go to nursing school - I got into a nursing program and the program I am in now at the same time - but I chose teaching - in part because I had bought into the hype that teaching was an "in demand" field. Now I am wondering if I made a mistake - picked the wrong program.

Has anyone else had these thoughts? Fears? Anyone else considering or wondering if and whe to throw i the towel?

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 15, 2009

Finish your degree and check out nursing.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I have 2 years experience in teaching. I'm currently in a masters program. I've been searching for 2 years after getting both my previous jobs quickly. It's tough. I'm wondering if I will ever get my break in these districts around me. I'm making connections as best I can so I am hoping that is enough. I'm not sure what other field I'd go into if not teaching.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I agree with Teresa.

I think you should also look at what you want to get out of teaching. Obviously a steady paycheck is part of what you want and need, but what else? Do you think you'll love teaching? Does it feel like something you're being called to do, like a vocation? Or does it feel like a "safe" or "respectable" profession?

I was in a situation sort of like yours. I went straight to graduate school after getting my BA (this is the norm for my field). After getting my MAT, I had some problems getting my actual license from the state of Indiana. It was a big mess and took about a year to get resolved.

In that time, I wasn't able to teach anything anywhere, because I couldn't produce a valid license. I was a wreck and felt like I had wasted all that time. What was even worse was that I needed to be a teacher. I felt like it was in my DNA or something, and it physically hurt to not be able to do what I wanted to do.

I considered returning to school to get a nursing degree. That had always been my second choice, and I knew I'd like it, even though it wouldn't do for me what teaching would.

I took a position in an inpatient psychiatric hospital for children and adolescents. In the year that I worked there, I learned so many things about behaviors and consequences. For me it turned out to be a blessing, a really really huge blessing. I think the experience prepared me in countless ways for teaching in the environment I'm currently in.

I worked at the psych hospital for about a year. About 3/4 of the way through my stint there, I worked out the license problem and began applying for teaching jobs. I was very fortunate to be licensed in an unusual subject area for which there are more jobs than there are teachers. I didn't have any trouble finding a good position--but I was also willing to relocate anywhere. If you're willing to move and/or accept a teaching position which might not be ideal but could help you get your foot in the door with a district, it's very likely that you will also be successful in landing a position.

6. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 16, 2009

After all this job hunting, I'm most definitey getting a good idea of what I'm in for once I start looking for an actual teaching position in October of 2010. And, to be honest, it scares me. A lot.

My financial aid has already paid out to UoP and my disbursement check is in the mail. So for me, it'd be a waste of the money to just "give up" altogether. Whether I finish or not, I'm going to have to pay back my $20K loan later on. I'd rather pay back on something I'll use than not use so I'm going to press on with this. Eventually, I'll get in as a para somewhere and eventually I *will* be a real teacher. I'm going to put this in God's hands and have faith (lots of it). That's all I can do.

I admit, the job searching gets so depressing at times that I want to cry for awhile. It's when I cry that I wonder what am I doing. But then when I go to Huntington to do my tutoring and I see how much of a difference I make with kids who really need the help, I don't second guess why I'm enrolled in a TEP.

I've worked retial like yourself and hate it. I've also tried office work in the past and I was so horrible at it that the company sent me back to the temp agency telling them NOT to place me again because they felt I wasn't cut out for office work. Honestly, I don't know what I hated more — the retail jobs I had or the office work I did. :lol:

I'm like smalltowngal. I don't know what else I'd do besides teaching.

Honestly, given how "grim" the job market is as a whole. I wouldn't switch to ANYTHING else unless you knew were absolutely able to find work 10x better than you could in the education field and you liked it. The job market is way tooo messed up right now to make an error.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2009

That math 6-12 certification should be the best job security ever. My guess is that either there are no jobs at the moment (mid year) or that you're not marketing it successfully.

But even in the horrific NYC area job market, I've always had to turn down math jobs.

8. palla

palla Companion

Feb 16, 2009

Honestly, it isn't just teachers facing difficulties finding jobs. There was an article in The Chronicle talking about all college grads this year struggling to find work. Many new college grads are going home to live with mom and dad instead of heading to a new exciting career. Over 50% of employers aren't "really considering" new college grads since they can find experienced people willing to take the same job for the pay of a new college grad. That isn't how it usually works with teaching since contracts and unions make it pretty specific that experience earns more money, but in other sectors more experienced people are willing to work for less money than they made five years ago.

I am not trying to depress anyone. It is just a very difficult time to be job hunting right now, and I don't think changing your major will make it much easier to find a job. But if there is something you would rather do, then consider changing your major. Life is too short not to love the job you will do everyday for the next 30 years!

9. me25

me25 Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

Yes I have been reconsidering a new career path. After looking for five years for a teaching job and having to be a teaching asssitant for three years I finacially have to get a different job for next year in order to keep my house. I already have three jobs and still am not making the $ I need so I am currently trying to decide what else I would like to do. It is VERY hard though because I have always wanted to be a teacher and never really thought about what else I would like to do. Sort of refinding myself through this process.

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 16, 2009

There are times when I've reconsidered it. I have a degree in economics in addition to my master's in education. It burns so much because when I was in school the boom was in full swing. I got done and things were starting to slow down.

I hear many things through the rumor grapevine right now and the big one is that districts will be going through their rolls and getting rid of annual contract teachers with more than a certain number of years of experience. They can let you go at the end of the year and not give you a reason.

But at the end of the day, I desperately miss teaching. I have a garage filled with my materials. I have boxes of miscellaneous stuff that I need to go through but I can't bring myself to do it. I'm not working in education right now. I'm dreading the summer interview season because I'm about 99% positive I'll be asked why I didn't sub. The short answer is "I have to provide for my family and subbing doesn't cut it." The real answer "I'm tired of being used and abused. Of being dangled a carrot and chasing it like a dog."

I know that I have a leg-up on many people because I do have a variety of experiences but it's hard when every time you open the paper all you hear is about education being cut. When I think about quitting, I remember all the kids I taught last year. The struggles and the growth. Not just academically but emotionally as well. It was all worth it.

11. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Feb 16, 2009

There have been a few times I've questioned my decision to teach, especially with the recent budget issues here in our state, but it's what I've always wanted to do and frankly, I can't see myself in any other profession.

I've already spent the time and energy to get biology certified, I'm beginning a Master's program next week...as with all fields, the need for well qualified individuals in education will eventually tip back in our favor.

I'm fortunate that I currently have a full time job while I attend grad school and begin to look for a teaching position for next school year. Heck, even once I do land a position I think I'll still be worried year to year hoping that I get my contract renewed on an annual basis.

Teaching is definitely not the field for the meek or weak hearted...LOL...that's for darned sure!

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2009

I have seriously contemplated the fact that I might have to do something until things improve, but I definitely am not ready to give up on teaching yet. I have faith that someone bigger than all of us will get me where I am supposed to go.

13. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Feb 17, 2009

I would continue working toward certification. If you really want to go back to school to be a nurse after you graduate, get an entry level position at a hospital that has tuition benefits and work on your nursing degree. In my area, nurses with an education degree are in high demand. Then, if you keep both certifications, you can decide which path to take as the economy gets better. You have plenty of options!

14. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 17, 2009

Thank you so much to everyone for your responses!

I was feeling particularly frustrated when I posted this a few days ago, and throwing myself a big ol' pitty party. Luckily I am feeling a bit better now.

I am definitely going to stick out my program until I finish, if only for the fact that I don't want to waste the $$ I have already spent. And, I think (hope? pray?) That between the ESE and the MATH cert. I will be able to find something somewhere - eventually.

I think also at the end of the day, as many of you mentioned - classroom teaching is where my heart belongs. I just feel so fulfilled after completing a sub assignment (no matter how much of a nightmare the students were) and I really can't picture myself doing anything else at this stage of my life.

I guess I just get so frustrated when I go into these schools and see some of the horrendous "teaching" that goes on there - current teachers who sit at their desks the whole day, show movies, really could give a flip about engageing their students - whereas I think that, if given the opportunity, I could make an excellent teacher, and would work my butt off to make as much of a difference in the lives of these kids. I just need one administrator to take a chance on me.

15. Suburban Gal

Feb 17, 2009

TampaTeacher2Be, did you just start working on your Master's like me or are you already well into it?

16. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Feb 17, 2009

I am regretting going into education. I had all my pre-reqs and needed only one core-req for nursing school, but decided I really wanted to teach. Now there are no jobs and I am soooo wishing I made a different decision. I have contacted the school where I got my AA degree and may go into their nursing program. I know no one could have predicted how the economy was going to turn out, but it stinks not to have a job for this upcoming school year. :(

17. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Feb 17, 2009

Let me start off by saying, I love teaching. However, I wish I had gone into nursing. I debated between teaching and nursing. When I went to finish my degree my husband told me to go into nursing, but I was 2 years into a teaching degree and finished it instead. Nursing is in demand, not teaching. Everytime I see something saying how educators are in demand I scoff. It's not true.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2009

Seems like a lot of teachers thought about being nurses as well. Add me that list.

19. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Feb 17, 2009

I am so glad there are others like me. I find out tomorrow if I can get some sort of financial aid to cover the nursing program. I know it will be demanding,but in the long run I think I will be better off. If I have to wait until 2010 for a teaching job, I might as well finish with nursing and get a career that pays really well and is ALMOST recession proof. I have read that there were times when nurses couldn't find a job,but I think my chances are a lot better in the nursing field then the education. Wish me luck guys!

20. Suburban Gal

Feb 17, 2009

I most definitely agree.

If I could stomach nursing, I would do it. But I hate pain, blood, needles, and hospitals. :lol:

21. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Feb 17, 2009

True one does need a tough stomach. I don't know for sure if I will work in a hospital or a doctor's office. I have to get in first, keeping my fingers crossed. I should have done this years ago, but at the time education was booming and it seemed like the smartest choice. Being off with your children ect...

22. BioTeach

BioTeach Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

This is how i feel... Sometimes you've gotta fight for what you want. Be willing to bend (and move)... have you had someone critique your interviewing? I have gone so far as to call someone who didnt hire me and ask if they can give me any feedback on the interview -- ie what could I have done better? Was there something that I didnt do/say? Usually I am able to get GREAT feedback.

I currently work as a corporate trainer (usually the first to go in these economic times) and I have for 13 years. I have been on many interviews and learned from each of them. I have turned down jobs. I actually practice interviews by sending out resumes and interviewing every year. Keeps me in the swing of things. I have also noticed that when i am depressed/lacking confidence, i tend to do MUCH poorer on interviews.

Do some soul searching and find out if you really do want to teach. If you do, hang in there and keep your head up. If not, move on to something that is fulfilling for you!

Good luck!

23. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 18, 2009

BioTeach,

That is actually a very good idea. I interviewed for a job last week, and if I end up not being selected, I will definitely follow up with her and see if I can get some feedback.