is anyone not hired yet preparing for the first day/classroom?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kpteacher, Aug 9, 2009.

1. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

Just wondering if you are preparing for the first day/classroom even though you have not been hired?

I have anxiety over the what-if I get hired, I have nothing together, but also do not have the income to go and purchase a lot of things.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

No. Things can change drastically depending on the grade level. Somethings can be building specific i.e. behavior plans. As an experienced teacher I have established routines & procedures that I teach my kids every year. So I suppose if I was a 1st year teacher I'd be thinking about such things as how to hand out papers, line up, pencils, supplies etc.

Does that make sense?

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

I have bought school supplies for a general class... folders, scissors, a plan book, etc. that i can take to ANY class...OR have the receipt to take them back.

But should the heavens part, and I land a job... for THIS year alone...I will rely HEAVILY on my new team members and atozteacherstuff (the forum for that particular grade) for ideas as to how to do my first week planning.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

mckenna, I am so rooting for you.

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

I've done a little planning and have a few things that I've picked up along the way. I am refusing to shop because I don't think I can bear returning the things I've purchased. Plus it was just something I had in mind that it would be like a reward to landing a job, if that makes any sense to you. School starts here on Monday and I'm in a bit of a funk but trying to hide it for the sake of my kids--we just moved and they don't know anyone so I'm trying to be upbeat for them. I know tomorrow will be hard for them going into 6th grade and 10th so why make it harder with my worries or sadness?

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 9, 2009

:hugs: That's the mark of a true mom. :thumb:

8. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

not really, because i have NO ida where i could be and its hard to prepare without knowing. i have a lot of stuff from teahing last year, some of it not appropriate for all grade levels but i guess if i get lucky and get a job i'll be busting my butt!

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 9, 2009

Feeling your pain. We moved too and I have a 10th grader starting in a new school. I worry just about daily about her transition. She had a ton of support back home - here - not so much. Oh well, I can only pray that we did not scar her for life. :(

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 9, 2009

That's the same age my brother and I were when we moved from TN to IL. Fortunately for me, I had marching band camp before school started to get to know some kids... but my brother didn't know ANYBODY.

They'll rebound faster than you might think. :)

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

SIDE-NOTE!
    This is one of the reasons I think band is so wonderful. Not just for when families move-but for transitioning between buildings and schools. You already have a group to fit in with! - OK..my inner band director had to say that!

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

Well, if we had to move (and we did) it was ok for my daughter because she would be going to another school anyway since she is a sixth grader. My son, however, going into the 10th grade it will be harder for. Luckily when I registered him for school last week, the JROTC instructors were there and took him under their wing. They were thrilled that he was on the marksmanship team at his previous school so they invited him to come in with the freshman to learn about their teams, etc. He was there until the afternoon then went back two more days for training. :) I think that did a lot to get him excited about going to school there. I could just hug the instructors! :)

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 9, 2009

The mushy part of me is going to mist up a little bit because those instructors probably don't realize how much it means to you and your family that they took the few minutes of kindness before school even started.

As far as the Op's question... the only thing I think you can really do at this point is to start a first year road map. What I mean by this is to list everything you would typically have to do in every school in order to have a successful first year. This is just an idea checklist. These are just general things. The idea is so that if you are really rushed and busy when you do get hired at the last minute, you know what you should be finding out, discussing and setting up for those first weeks. The specifics come later.

For example: Read the IEPs.

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

Yeah for teachers who do this...

and an extra yeah for male teachers who help out/mentor young men!

(I think the young men of this country NEED more positive role models who take an interest in THEM!)

my son needed that...and unforunately either they weren't around, or he didn't accept the few that did. Now? he is really sturggling in his young adult life

15. crazycakes

crazycakes Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I have not been hired but I do have a tentative plan for the first day and the first week. The hiring process has been delayed due to an overdue state budget. I realize that one cannot predict one's circumstances but I thought that when districts are given the go-ahead that interviewers would see my forethought and planning and recognize the excitement that I have for teaching and it also helps me not to stay to long at the "pity party" that is going on in my head;).

16. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

I haven't done anything. I have no money to buy anything and I just don't feel like doing anything else unless I know I'm going to have a job. This is just how I am though; I work best under pressure.

I do have a maternity leave position for the first few weeks of school and I'm meeting with the teacher tomorrow to go over some things but it really doesn't feel like 'my' classroom.

17. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

CutNGlue and McKenna, I felt so happy that these instructors would do that for my son. I called my hubby and mother in law right away after leaving him at the school. It is just so awesome to see. Ya know, I think I might email or send them a thank you note...didn't think of that until right now. My mind has been so full of job searching stuff I can barely think of anything else. McKenna, I am so sorry your son did not have that type of influence in his life. It does make all of the difference in the world but it isn't too late for him.

Well I think I'll start planning more for my first day of school. I had only written up a discipline plan and a welcome letter but now that I think of it, there is so much more to do. As a new teacher, however, I cannot think of everything. I feel quite thankful that my student teaching took place last fall so I do know how to start the first day of school.

18. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

It sort of reminds me of that old Beatles song,"I got no car and it's breaking my heart, but I found a driver and that's a start."
    (Replace car for classroom and driver for teacher)
    I have a portable classroom in my office from my days as a student teacher, LTS and summer school teacher.
    Have supplies, will travel.

19. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

Hey, when I first read the title of your post, I though you meant if you DON'T get a classroom. If you do get a classroom, the only thing to do is work w/coteachers, smile and work late every day til you get settled.

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

I have a garage full of stuff (many books!) for Kindergarten/1st grade. I have not bought anything this year, and have an unused teacher store gift card still. I would want to at least know what grade I would be teaching before I spend any money that I dont have! For now it looks like subbing for me, and if I'm offered a classroom, I'll scramble.
    My daughter starts Jr. High tomorrow and now my excitement is for her! :)

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

Oh.. you want to know about the stuff in my GARAGE???? MAN... THAT i have TONS of! I have a filled 4 drawer file cabinet of ideas. i have classroom posters and trim, I have a mailbox cubbie that I found a few YEARS ago at salvation army for $10. I have games and manipulatives, and a big set of unusual-cut scissors. I have a whole classroom library (some books have duplicates in Spanish). TONS of stuff... for a classroom... that MIGHT be in the future.

regarding the ROTC teachers... I know things are crazy now...but (as things calm down) what would be very nice is to send a letter to their principal (maybe even military officer) and a duplicate to them as to how they are already making a difference.

I know it's somewhat NOT equivilent...but people at the grocery store will tell me all the time that I did a good job for them. What REALLY matters are the ones that call or talk to the manager about the good service they experienced.

:) Happy for your son.

22. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

McKenna, you make a good point about emailing the P at my son's school about his JROTC instructors. :) Thanks!

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

Not preparing a thing. I have part of my garage just filled with my teaching supplies. It's been sitting there since 2008 and I no longer know what I have. I already have a ton of school supplies in there so I'm not buying anything this year.

24. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I only prepare for a job when the it becomes available.

25. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

I think this is the greatest reason my husband wants me to have a job. My teaching supplies that have taken up a corner of the garage since 2004. I went through most of it this summer to purge some of it. While going through it I found tons of supplies for my son to bring to school. I was so excited not to have to spend money on something for back-to-school.

26. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Aug 10, 2009

Good for you, jw13!!!! That's great.

I concurr with all of you about the garage storage. And, I also have a lot of teacher supplies stored in our mini-barn.

27. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Hey McKenna, if we get started talking about all of our stuff, well that could be a whole other story! I too have a ton of stuff (remember I taught 12 in K). I also found a cool art easel bookcase for $10. too, and boxes and boxes and boxes of books. :lol: I love stuff! I bought more today at Goodwill, books that is.