Is anyone hiring Elementary Teachers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sophie1, Feb 3, 2010.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Feb 3, 2010

Anyone hiring elementary teachers?? We are laying off people left and right in NY. It's awful!!!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2010

Same here in CA. They are laying of TENURED teachers who have been tenured for 8 YEARS!!! It's ridiculous! This is my fifth year and I have yet to get to even the first year tenured status. I keep getting laid off.

This is why I'm working towards my single subject credential in science AND working on my geology degree. We're a dime a dozen and I need to do something to stand out.

4. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Feb 3, 2010

In my area of CA, el ed teachers are most definitely a dime a dozen! It is so very sad and depressing. There were a few openings in elementary when school started but there were hundreds of applicants! I have heard this upcoming school year will be even worse. I also added on a science credential but it really didn't open up any new leads.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 4, 2010

Districts around here are!

6. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Feb 4, 2010

Florida, also, especially some areas in South Florida.

7. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Feb 4, 2010

I hear of people having luck in AZ, but that is just a generalization. Anyone in AZ see that?

8. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Feb 10, 2010

There are definitely going to be some layoffs here in WA, seeing as our state is basically out of money. I actually asked this question about a month and a half ago and got a few replies you could check. They might be outdated, though, since more budget news is trickling out. I am considering moving to another state (any state) for a job. My husband is finishing grad school to be a teacher, and I am just ending my maternity leave gig right now, so I will be subbing again. So to anyone else who might read this from other states, pretty please let us jobseekers know!

9. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

I was offer an elementary special ed job in AZ. I had to turn it down because I couldnt' handle the relocation.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2010

Where in NY are you? I always hear through friends that there are openings in their schools in queens and the city...Im just not willing to make that commute.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2010

I think probably the worst schools may have openings, but as far as I know NYC is under a hiring freeze for the forseeable future.

12. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 11, 2010

I bet that in my school in NJ in the next year we will have a ton of openings, due to teachers retiring. Probably not this year though.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2010

We hired a bunch of teachers this year b/c of retirements, but might be losing some positions due to the budget this year. UGH

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 11, 2010

Pretty clearly we have the most qualified substitute teacher force in history (so many credentialed teachers sitting on the sideline). Is there anything we can do to make OUR voice heard? As a sub (in CA) and probably everywhere, we are like 2nd class citizens. The teachers mostly treat us with respect and stuff... but the district spits in our face consistently (no benefits, low pay, no consideration).

15. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Feb 15, 2010

There are tons of openings for teachers here (Houston). The biggest district (HISD), however, is not making it easy for teachers to stay if their kids don't pass the state assessment. I've been looking for teaching positions several districts and found openings in a lot of them.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

I'm in NE NJ..depends on retirements, shifts in student population, budget...our new governor has announced some new budgetary guidelines for school distircts which may lead to RIFs in some districts with $$ issues. NJhire.com is a good place to look for openings in this state. Don't rule out private and charter schools-many don't pay as well as public but if you want to stay in education, it may get you through these tough times and build your resume.

17. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Feb 20, 2010

Does anyone know if upstate New York is hiring? My husband and I are hoping to relocate somewhere rural-ish and we are wondering what the job market is like there. Does anyone know about rural areas in other states in general? Thanks for any help!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2010

I can't speak for upstate NY in particular, but downstate it's brutal.

The fact that there are so many SUNY schools scattered around upstate, each with an elementary ed program graduating thousands of new teachers each year, doesn't make the prospects particularly hopeful.

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2010

I live in Upstate NY and just about every certification area is extremely competitive (especially elementary and secondary social studies and English). There are also some districts closing an elementary school, which will likely result in loss of jobs and even more competition.

20. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Feb 20, 2010

Originally Posted by FCLaura
    Does anyone know if upstate New York is hiring? My husband and I are hoping to relocate somewhere rural-ish and we are wondering what the job market is like there. Does anyone know about rural areas in other states in general? Thanks for any help!

I agree with Jessica26. I too live in Upstate/Central NY and there are NO openings. At my school we have already told a handful of teachers they might be laid off next year and we are talking about tenured teachers. These tenured teachers have been working for 5-8 years. The best thing I can tell you to do if interested in this are is check this website: www.olasjobs.org/ . Any schools that are hiring usually post to that website. Best of luck!!

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 20, 2010

My rather lg dist is doing the Golden Handshake this yr in which quite a few people are leaving (I started a thread on it). I also heard that they're letting 5 teachers go at each of our middle schools. Don't know about our elem schools.

22. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

It is bleak anywhere in NY right now. However, there is a new early retirement option available for experienced teaches. <The 55/25 early retirement option for NYSUT members in the state TRS and ERS during a three-month window in 2010.> From what the union says, it will be offered in late spring/ early summer. So, at that point there should be more openings (or hopefully, at least some position for displaced teachers).

23. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

NO, teachers are being laid off... It's VERY bad in upstate rural ny! Sorry... tenured teachers losing jobs, our state is out of money.

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2010

This just is not a good time to be trying to "get in"...I am sooo glad I am out of California right now....