Is Anyone Else Starting to Feel Old?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Chef Dave, Jul 12, 2008.

1. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Yes! My sister and I also had a Price is Right game. It took hours to set up but we loved it. Probably would be worth some money if we still had it :p

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2008

Regarding the Price is Right...yes! My mom tried to get on the show once, maybe twice. We always wanted to get tickets to try to get on even these days.

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

It's one of my dreams to be part of the audience (at least). I used to be really good at price guessing when I was young.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Speaking of game shows, we used to say we watched Wheel of Fortune to feel smart, then Jeopardy! to feel dumb :) They were on back-to-back. Heck, maybe they still are!

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

I watched Wheel of Fortune when Chuck was the host, and Susan was the letter turner! And you had to buy things with your money, in a theme store. I always wanted one of those ceramic dalmations!!!

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

why Mable, I remember when the Price is Right was a 30 minute game show! :) And we also enjoyed Family Feud.

7. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I love this thread and it put a smile on my face when I remembered my childhood. I loved Electric Company, Zoom, The New Zoo Review, and Romper Room. My favorite gum was Juicy Fruit when my dad would buy it after eating out. I considered it a treat. My favorite outside activity to do when I was young was playing in my sandbox and digging to China. LOL My hair was a stylish Dorothy Hamill at one point and a shag at another time. I loved my rainbow shirt that started one one sleeve and expanded all the way across my shirt and down the other sleeve. Listening to Abba, Donny and Marie, Shawn Cassidy, and Leif Garrett made me want to dance across my bedroom. My favorite board game was Chutes and Ladders and it still is. I loved it when our electricity would go out from a storm and we would light the kerosene lamps and play board games and wrap up in blankets, even though my brother always cheated and it used to really make me mad. A very special treat was a homemade milkshake my mom would make from our milkshake machine. I would LOVE to find one of those now to make for my boys. I've seen them but it's rare. I thought I was IT when I was allowed to go to the mall and buy clothes at Jean Nicole. I loved that store. Oh yeah, I had a crush on Jimmy McNicoles, Scott Baio, Tommy from Eight is Enough, and Shawn Cassidy. Mrs. Beasley was my favorite doll and I hardly ever missed "Family Affair." That was a great show. My first kitchen set when I was little was made out of cardboard and I'll never forget when my dad had to burn it in the trash barrel in our backyard because it was falling apart. I cried for quite a long time.

These were great times and I miss them.

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

Me too! (they were life sized)

9. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

TeacherShelley's list pretty much said it all for me, but here's a few:
    - how exciting when paper dolls came out with PUNCH-OUT clothes
    -Dawn dolls that were like mini Barbies
    - when the first computers came to our school and only nerds were interested
    -LIVING for saturday morning cartoons. Remember the prime time preview shows they'd do before a new season?
    -listening religiously to Casey Kasem's Top 40
    - Disco, God help us
    - I did see Blue Lagoon - very racy!
    -Captain Kangaroo
    -being sent to the grocery store with a note to buy cigarettes for my dad
    -Sweet Honesty by Avon
    - typing all my college papers on a manual typewriter
    - figuring out how old we'd all be in 2000- and it seeming impossibly far away!
    - Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Sunday Night Mystery Theater, All in the Family, Maude, The Jefferson's, Barney Miller, Good Times, The Waltons, Little House on the Prarie, James at 15, Family
    -Listening to Radio Mystery Theater every night as I'd go to sleep
    -Recording favorite TV shows on a reel to reel tape player so I could listen to them later- and shushing my parents while I recorded
    -how special the holiday shows like the Charlie Brown specials, Rudolph, etc, etc seemed because their weren't usually shows for kids on in the evening
    -the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday evenings
    -Saturday afternoon scary movies hosted by Dr. Creep (local celeb)

I wanna go back!!!!!

10. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

Do you remember the glass bottles that Avon's perfume came in? They were in the shape of girls and I collected them.
    -Night Owl Theater (scared me to death!)
    -Tom Sawyer with Johnny Whitacre
    -Love's Baby Soft perfume
    -Simon electronic game
    -I LOVED the movie "Endless Love". that was the first time I saw a naked male butt on tv and oh, I wish I had tivo then!!!
    -holding my tape recorder up to the radio so I could record songs
    -prairie skirts
    -clogs with wooden heels ( I always had to take them off in the hallway at school)
    -getting soooooo excited being in the summer reading program at our local library
    reading "The Bobsey Twins" series, "Are You There, God? It's Me Margaret", the biography of Louisa May Alcott (my favorite book)
    -being jealous of my cousins because they had Atari
    -I couldn't wait to get a brand new metal lunchbox and new pencil box for school!

11. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

Hey iteachm123--I grew up in Yellow Springs!

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Gosh, I'd forgotten about that ! I used to write the songs ALL down so, and I quote my 13 year old self, "When I'm 30 I can look back and remember the top songs." To quote the 38 year old me, "Uh... who cares!?" :LOL

I also just remembered getting caught by the teacher in 7th grade with the copy of Forever by Judy Blume, with those certain pages very dog-eared.

13. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

That's awesome! We love to go to John Bryan State Park and to Peaches, the local bar and grill. We just drove through Cincinnati yesterday after vacationing in Louisville, KY.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

If a kid blew up a pop can now...the whole block would be on lock down by the FBI, and his poor family would be thrown in jail! Homeland Security would accuse of him of acts of terrorism! :unsure:

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

yeah, that was the show when you were home sick, or lucky enough to have vacation days. I was pretty good at estimating the prices!!!

But what about Let's Make A Deal...

Was that car behind Door Number 2? Those were real game shows. Nobody got hurt, or embarassed, or started a fight! And it was a real mind challenge. For them and the audience too!

I wanted to go just to bring everything in my teacher bag. He would ask for the weirdest things! And if you had it, he paid you sometimes $100 on the spot!

I also liked the Dating Game, and the Newlywed Game. The new ones did not come close!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Yes, WOF is 25 years old now! (They don't do too many close ups on Vanna... ;) ) Comes on after the news out here at 6:30pm. Jeopardy comes on during the day at 3:30pm. I love watching that. Exercise for my brain!

Ding, ding, ding ding...ding, ding, ding...

Dum, dum, dum dum...dum dum

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Oprah did a special on the Osmonds, and her entire audience was their whole family. I did not believe I was the same age as Marie!!!

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

Wheel of Fortune is at 7, Jeopardy at 7:30 here. Password has just come back on the air, and Drew Carey hosts The Price is Right. I'm so old that I remember To Tell The Truth. My grandparents watched religiously.

Did anyone have white go-go boots? Even the name of them is embarrassing!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

All in The Family created more spinoff shows in TV history...

The Jeffersons
    Room 227
    Maude
    The Golden Girls
    Good Times
    Amen
    Gloria

did I get them all?

I don't even watch Channel 2 - CBS anymore... haven't 'turned' to that channel in ages...!!!!

And don't get me started on the Christmas shows. Sigh...they are just pittiful!!! They show the good ones the day after Thanksgiving now..to get them 'out of the way'!!!

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Ha, you left out... Truth or Consequences!!!

Yeah I had the American Bandstand, dancing in the cage white and black pair of go-go boots....and the window-pane and fishnet stockings too!

:woot:

with the mini skirt, of course...

and the pleather (fake leather) vest

with the bubble blouse...

and my Afro!!!

otherwise known as a 'fro
    or Natural...

:lol:

21. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

Room 227, The Golden Girls, and Amen are not spin offs of All in the Family.

The spinoffs from All in the Family are:

Archie Bunker's Place
    Gloria
    704 Hauser
    Good Times
    Checking In
    Maude
    The Jeffersons

22. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I didn't care for the show after Jean Stapleton (Edith Bunker) left. She was Archie's "dingbat" side kick throughout the entire series of All in the Family but didn't finish the first season of Archie Bunker's Place.

I understand that she left because she thought that she had reached her potential with the character, Edith Bunker.

Carroll O'Connor won an Emmy for the quality of his acting in the episode following Edith's "death."

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Yes they are....

227 Featured Marla Gibbs, who played The Jeffersons maid.. Florence
    The Golden Girls featured Beatrice Arthur, who was not seen until she appear on All in the family, and Maude
    Amen featured Sherman Hensley, who was George Jefferson on All in The Family, and The Jeffersons.

In my mind, that makes them spinoffs.

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

many actors left shows when they felt writers were going too far, and not giving them proper respect.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I never cared for the last Darrin in Betwitched. He wasn't scared of Endora... he started fights with her. That changed the whole show.

Sometimes you can change characters and play it off.. Didn't like the new Darlene on Roseanne either. And in the show, they make a joke about it themselves!

26. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

Maybe in your mind, but that is not the definition of a spinoff.

A spinoff is when a character from one show is spun-off into a show of his/her own. It is not the actor doing a different show with a different character.

27. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

Darlene never changed on Rosanne.

It was Becky who was played by two different actors.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Right on both accounts Rain!

that's why I love you guys!!

:)

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

I still have my Dawn doll and the other 2 also!! I also saw Blue Lagoon..whoa. And my sister got me a bottle of Sweet Honesty and I still wear it from time to time.
    I wanna go back too!!!!

30. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

We did the same thing!! My sister was in charge of recording The Partridge Family and we had to shush our parents and brother every time they came into the room.
    Wow; I love that book too, "Are You There, God?...

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2008

They have to stay the same character in both (or more) shows. Here's a couple of spin-offs:

Denise Huxtable from The Cosby Show went to Hillman College & they made a show about her & college life to make the spin-off, A Different World.

Beverly Hills, 90210 had the one character, Kelly Taylor who one day met Jake Hanson. They then made a show about Jake & his friends to make the spin-off, Melrose Place.

BTW, they do consider Maude & The Jeffersons spin-offs from All in the Family.

Not that we should be debating about this, but here's a site that shows a list of many shows & the shows that are spin-offs of them :):

http://crazyabouttv.com/miscpages/spinoffs.html

32. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

I don't think anyone said that Maude and the Jeffersons weren't spin-offs. They were. Maude was Edith's cousin, and Louise Jefferson was Edith and Archie's next door neighbors.

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

aahhh.... stop it you guys!!!

Like Barney said to Fred...

"The girls will think we're fighting!!!"

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

The Flinstones!

It seems like they were always fighting, and then making up again.

35. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

Judy Blume is one of my all time favorites. How about Blubber?

36. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

Next to my white patent mary janes, my white go-go boots were my favorite shoes! I still really want patent leather shoes. My grandma gave me the boots and we danced to Elvis together. :)

37. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

I loved it when they shopped with their winnings! Too bad they still don't do that.

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Whatever happened to those black and white saddle shoes? You could not ruin those shoes no matter how hard you tried!

I bought my daughter a pair!

Don't see them any more... They were some good shoes!!!

39. coffee crazy

coffee crazy Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

OMG....you are Asian?

I did not read all your post.....froze at the word asian. :p
    My hubby is Korean....I feel we are pals now..you think I'm crazy don't you??? Come on laugh at me...:lol:

Coffee Crazy

40. coffee crazy

coffee crazy Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

I had white go-go boots!!!

I loved them soooo much.:wub:

Coffee