Is Anyone Else Starting to Feel Old?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Chef Dave, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 12, 2008

While doing some spring cleaning at school a few days ago, I heard the children of a teacher colleague talking about the movie, "Mama Mia." They were excited about the music ... but had never heard of Abba.

When I was asked if I had seen the movie, I said no. I also added that the first time I ever heard Abba was on a vinyl record. The kids gave me a blank look. They had no idea what a record was.

This made me feel ... old.

I am actually old enough to remember living in the old segregated south. While living in Georgia, we never ate out because as Asians, we were not allowed to eat at whites only restaurants. My father was a serving officer in the U.S. Public Health Service, (medical branch of the Coast Guard), but we were not allowed to dine with whites or even use water fountains or public restrooms that were designated "white only."

In 1965, my Dad bought a new three bedroom, two bathroom house in a nice suburb for $35,000. Our white neighbors were less than thrilled.

In those days, social etiquette was such that neighbors would come over to introduce themselves to families that were just moving in. They often brought gifts of pie or casseroles.

Most of our neighbors shunned us because of our ethnicity. One family referred to us as "slant eyed jungle bunnies" and the parents told their children that they couldn't play with me. :(

Gas at that time was 24 cents a gallon. First class postage was 5 cents. A loaf of bread was 21 cents.

My family's first television was an enormous clunky black and white. Colored TV didn't become popular until 1966 after NBC became the first network to begin broadcasting all programs in color. As a matter of trivia, RCA introduced color television in the early fifties but these units were not only expensive but they also required separate broadcasting frequencies. In other words, owners of black and white televisions could not watch color TV programs ... and owners of color televisions could not watch black and white programs. RCA eventually discontinued production of their first model because it wasn't practical.

There were no video games. There was no internet. Cable TV did not exist. Phones had rotary dials. The VCR had not been invented. Although eight track tapes were just starting to become popular, my father had a reel to reel 1/4th inch audio tape player.

We didn't have a microwave because they were bulky and somewhat dangerous. The first microwaves cost over $2000 and were nearly the size of a conventional oven. By '65, prices had dropped to $1295. Raytheon didn't begin producing microwaves that were smaller, safer, and more affordable until '67 and even then, these units cost nearly $500.

In '66 when my father was assigned to Bangkok, Thailand, we flew overseas on a Pan American Douglas DC-6B which had four propellers. Although Pan Am had introduced the DC-8 jet in 1960, the DC-6B was still the mainstay of the Pan Am fleet. Flying back then was an "event" and passengers always dressed up. My father and I both wore suits. We boarded the plane by walking across the tarmac as passengers couldn't board from the terminal back then.

When I graduated from college, the cost of first class postage had risen to 20 cents. Gas was 92 cents a gallon. Bread cost 53 cents a loaf. CDs had also just been invented.

In 1982, Sony introduced the CDP 101 player. The world's first commercial CD recording was Billy Joel's 52nd Street album. Since the first CD players cost $900, I couldn't afford one on my $13,000 first year teacher's salary.

I taught in Texas before the state education reform of 1984. My first elementary class had 45 students. My teaching certificate was one of the old style provisionals which are no longer issued. Under expiration date it says, "life." In other words, the certificate is valid as long as I'm kicking and breathing.

Teaching in the days before George Bush became governor of Texas was a joy. As long as I taught all of the instructional objectives listed in the district curriculum, I could sequence lessons however I liked. Thematic instruction, hands-on discovery science, process writing, and Madeline Hunter's direct teaching model were all considered innovative teaching techniques in the early eighties.

How times have changed ...

3. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

Wow, Dave! You make me feel like a baby! I know who ABBA is vaguely, but only because VH1 does the whole, I love the [fill in whatever decade here].

Let's see. There's been a Bush or a Clinton in the white house my ENTIRE life. I remember black and white TVs and Rotary phones because my grandpa had them, but I remember when Cable TV became popular and when caller ID first came out. I remember walkmans and the Circuit City commercial price matching commercial that accompanied (excuse me, mister. I bought this here, but then I saw this ad [for a lower price]), I remember the switch from walkman to cd player to mp3 player and now IPOD. I remember when it was safe to play outside until the street lights came on without adult supervision.

I remember when computers first really began to be integrated into the school system and you started taking computer classes in middle school and on Fridays you played Oregon Trail. I remember when sodas and snacks out of the machine only cost 50 cents.

When I was kid (as though it were sooo long ago :lol: ) gas was about $1.29, milk was a couple of bucks and a stamp was 23 cents.

I remember saying the pledge of allegiance every day in elementary school, but then it changed and we never said it in middle school and high school.

I remember watching the OJ Simpson trial on TV with my grandpa when I was in second grade. I remember when the Bulls were the best in basketball and the cowboys the best in football.

I remember the monica lewinsky scandal, and learning what the meaning of 'is' is. I remember the Amber Haggerman, who the Amber alert is named after. She and Opal Jennings were kidnapped about 15 minutes from where I lived as a child.

I remember watching planes fly into the world trade center because I happened to walk into the gym at the time in the tenth grade and later finding that the buildings had collapsed.

I remember the deregulation of college tuition and prices going out of control and having to use my credit cards to stay in school during my junior year.

Hopefully, by the time I'm your age, Dave, I'll have a lot more quality 'I remember"s.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

we are no longer teachers, we are brain fillers. One day, we will be like Captain Kirk, projected onto a screen for little bodies to watch. And if they get out of line, we can say, "I am beaming you up to the Principal's office!"

Well, we did get the moving sidewalk in the airport like the Jetsons!

They also gave us the cell phone!

Just pass the box of Cracker Jacks.... and admit it!

We are getting old Chef Dave!!!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 12, 2008

My childhood was mainly in the 80s. (I was ages 5 - 15 during that decade). I had a great childhood! Ah, the memories!

I had plenty of vinyl records w/ songs I'd play repeatedly until I had them all memorized.

Every summer, I took some kind of educational classes, such as science ones at a museum.

I always loved watching TV as a kid & I still do now. Back then, my favorite shows were The Electric Co, 321 Contact, those Wonderworks shows, Little House on the Prairie, Wonder Woman (starring Lynda Carter), The Cosby Show, & Family Ties. I was the same grade level as the characters from the shows 90210 & Saved by the Bell (class of '93).

I didn't have cable TV until 1988. I first got the internet in 1994-95, I think. Pretty much before that, I still had my typewriter to type up my school papers.

Once I was a teen & started shopping, my favorite store was Contempo Casuals.

It was when I turned 21 that time has been whizzing by ever since. I don't know where my 20s went! :eek: I don't really feel old just yet, but when my HS reunion was in 2003, I had to think for a couple min that it was really that long ago since I graduated.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2008

I remember the night we first watched Disney in color! What an event. The Beatles' arrival (5th grade for me) was another.

Milk for snack was 3 cents at elem school. Lunch was 25 cents. We had to scrounge through our parents' coat pockets to find the change. And sometimes couldn't.

Kids could get paddled in class. My 3rd grade teacher had a paddle on the wall that said, "Never hit a child in the face. Nature provided a better place." She used it only on boys as I recall.

Boys in my Catholic high school were coached by the deacon in applying for conscientious objector status. The news every evening was depressing.

Those warm summer evenings with all the kids playing outside and parents BBQing in the yard are idyllic suburban memories. It wasn't all Father Knows Best, we now realize, but I do think kids developed far more skills on their own than we try to hand to them today.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

I LOVED Electric Company! Did you know there is a full set of dvd's? It's on my wishlist.

I also loved Contempo Casuals. They had clothes that reflected my attitude (I had a mohawk).

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2008

We played games like garage door & murder. We rode our bikes to the library & walked a mile to school. Getting in trouble meant a spanking, not time-out or being grounded. Of course, if you did something wrong outside, it would get reported back to your parents.

T.V.? we watched it before we left for school & on Saturday mornings. I was in college for a couple of years before we had cable or MTV. In my college apartment I didn't have cable.

I remember my Dad doing taxes by hand, not TurboTax.

9. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 12, 2008

I hear you. When I bought my B&B Inn in Pennsylvania back in '03, I encountered racism. There was a business behind the inn that assembled the fiberglass bodies of firetrucks. A group of workmen were standing outside the business when I went outside to dump some trash. The entire group began making monkey noises and laughed when I looked at them.

As you might imagine, I was very angry. In the old days I might have gone after them with a baseball bat but now that I'm older, I've gotten more mature.

Come the following morning, I took the foreman a platter of breakfast burros - egg, sausage, cheese, and fried potatoes rolled up in flour tortillas and sliced at an angle to display the contents. I handed the burros to the foreman and said nothing about the day's previous experience.

That afternoon while emptying trash, the same workmen were standing outside the business. When one of the men began making monkey noises, a co-worker punched him. That ended the overt racial discrimination.

Since the area I was living in was overwhelmingly white, I decided to be proactive about getting to know the community. By getting to know the community it seemed to me that the community would also get to know me. I am a firm believer in the idea that ignorance is the root source of racism. I joined the volunteer fire department and was active for two years until I hurt my knee during a fire call.

Amen sister!

I don't miss the old segregated south ... and we've certainly come a long way in race relations since the repeal of the old Jim Crow laws ... but we still have a long ways to go.

I must admit that I like having moved to Arizona. Given the strong historical Mexican influence as well as the presence of Native Americans, rural Arizona has had a lot more experience with multiculturalism that rural PA.

Since moving here I haven't had a single person ever ask me if I speak Chinese. I have also not met anyone who assumed that I'm an immigrant who just stepped off the boat even though I speak English with a Midwestern accent.

I sometimes wonder whether or not the local environment has played a factor in the development of race relations in Arizona. This is after all, a desert. Would a thirsty person even care about the ethnicity of the last person to drink out of a well? :)

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 12, 2008

I figured there were DVDs of the show.

I also loved those Pipi Longstocking movies starring Inger Nilsson, the Swedish actress.

I bought the DVD collection of Gidget starring Sally Fields. Sally Fields is a lot older than me, but I've liked the show since I was a child.

remember once in HS, I spent about $100 alone on jewelry, a purse, & belt @ Contempo C.

11. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 12, 2008

Wow! Ok, I'm not quite as old as I thought. Yes, I remember Saturdays waiting for the TV to come back on the air and Schoolhouse Rock were the commercials. I remember having the change the channel by getting up and twisting the knob and there were only 12 channels.

I remember records, 8 tracks, and cassettes and American Bandstand in black & white.

I remember reading Little Black Sambo, The Brothers Grimm, and yes, **** the name was not perverted then either!and Jane was my first reader. :whistle:

I remember bellbottoms, the first time round. Discos, roller rinks, and leisure suits for both sexes (my two favorites was a white one with dinosaurs on it and a denim one that my aunt embroidered butterflys up the bell bottom & left leg)

I remember The Electric Company, Zoom, Mr. Rogers, Cowboy Bob, and when Sesame Street first started. I remember seeing a man walk on the moon--well, I might not remember it but I know that Mama got me up to watch it.

I remember when the red M&M's were taken out and savoring my last one. I remember Big Hunk, wax lips, those silly bottles full of sugar water, candy cigarettes, mint M&M's called Royals, and Fruit Stripe Gum. There was another gum that came in ice cream flavors, but I can't recall the name. I remember Koogle brand flavored peanut butter--chocolate, cinnamon, or banana. And going to the dime store to buy candy for 2 cents.

I was a teenager when stamps were 13 cents, gas was 62 cents a gallon and my folks' mortgage was 15,000 in a good neighborhood. I didn't pay attention to prices. Still don't really.:eek:

And in the neighborhood anyone's mom would feed you, bathe you, spank you, and watch out for you. You didn't lock the doors and no one minded if you just stuck your head in the front door and yelled "yoo hoo!"

I remember being a pubescent girl and walking all over the town by myself and no one thought a thing about it and I was perfectly safe, even going to the college campus. I would go to the movies or concerts and walk the 2 miles home in the middle of the night and didn't worry about anything except whether I'd be held up by the midnight train.

Am I old? I like to say I'm an antique kid.:lol:

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 12, 2008

My parents had a ton of records we used to listen to. My grandfather worked as a writer of computer instruction manuals so we had a computer called TRS-80 and it would take forever to type in all the program commands to play a game on it. Our printer was the size of a table and used that perforated paper.

As kids we played with paper dolls and fashion plates-I think we were much more creative in entertaining ourselves than the kids are today. I grew up in the country in Ohio and yes, there was no crime in our small town. I often wonder what it's like today, probably built up with more homes and businesses like everywhere else. I used to walk home from babysitting and be so scared walking past all the cornfields (too many horror movies). Our air conditioning was screen windows.

13. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 12, 2008

I'm hijacking my own thread. :)

Those of you who mentioned the Electric Company, may be interested to learn that after 31 years, PBS is REVIVING this show. The new series will air some time in 2009 and will feature hip-hop music as opposed to the old Motown beat.

PBS Revives a Show That Shines a Light on Reading
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/12/arts/television/12elec.html

14. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 12, 2008

That is totally awesome, Duuuude! :p I hope it stays educational and not all music. I learned silent e from watching Electric Company.

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

I was able to read that with a group of students last year and they got hooked on Pippi! Even the boys in the reading group were checking out Pippi books from the library and I found one of the original movies!!!

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

I always wanted to have actual word pieces come out of my mouth like one skit showed where they segmented words and they floated out of their mouths and connected. :):)

I am going to ask for the dvd set for my birthday and watch it with my son. I can't WAIT!

17. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

the only tv shows I was allowed to watch were electric co and Cosmos on PBS.

We didn't get a VCR until I was in college.
    Video games? what were those? Atari Pong was the only one we knew of.
    I wore knickers in middle school????
    I had a Dorthy Hamil(sp) haircut when I was 11.

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 13, 2008

Okay, I'll show my age here. I remember when sodas (in glass bottles) were 10 cents out of the machine, and there were things in the snack machine for 5 cents, 10 cents, and 15 cents.

Gas was 21 cents a gallon-- and the attendant had to pump it.

I remember taping nickel onto my letter, knowing the mailman would replace it with a stamp. He'd leave my penny change in the mailbox.

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

Lost between Baby Boomer and Gen X

My dad sent me this:

YOU'RE LOST BETWEEN "BABY BOOMER" AND "GENERATION X" IF...

1. You remember when Jordache jeans with a flat-handle comb in the back pocket was cool.

2. Any photograph of you shows you wearing an Izod shirt with the collar turned up.

3. You know any "Weird Al" Yankovic songs by heart.

4. You've ever rung someone's doorbell and said "Landshark!"

5. You were once bowled over by the technological excellence of such products as Atari, IntelliVision, TelStar and Coleco.

6. You remember the premier of MTV--or worse yet, you remember its predecessor, "Friday Night Videos."

7. You and your friends ever discussed having a reunion at the end of the century and playing Prince's "1999."

8. A predominant color in your childhood photos is plaid.

9. You remember when music that was labeled "alternative" really was alternative, and when "alternative comedy" was really funny.

10. You took family trips BEFORE the invention of the minivan.

11. (Related to #10) You rode in the back of the station wagon facing the cars behind you.

12. You've recently horrified yourself by using any one of the following
    phrases: "You know, back when...," "When I was your age...," or "When I was younger..."

13. Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you learned things like grammar, math and history. (A big hint here is if the only way you can recite the Preamble to the Constitution is by singing it.)

14. You ever dressed to look like someone in a Madonna, Cyndi Lauper or Duran Duran video.

15. You remember your first kiss with someone having happened while either "Leather and Lace" or "Crazy for You" was playing.

16. You remember with pain the day the Green Machine hit the streets (or the sidewalks), instantly making your Big Wheel obsolete.

17. The age-old question "Where's the beef?" still makes you laugh.

18. You remember when film critics raved that no movie could ever possibly have more advanced special effects than "TRON."

19. You had a crush on Ted the photographer on "Love Boat," Gage from "Emergency," or Ponch from "CHIPS."

20. Your hair at some point in time in the '80s could only be described by saying, "I was experimenting."

21. You've ever shopped at Benetton.

22. You're starting to believe that having the kids in school year-round wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.

23. You're currently employed doing something that has absolutely nothing to do with your college major.

24. U2 is too popular and mainstream for you now.

25. You remember trying to guess which episode of "The Brady Bunch" it was by the first scene.

26. You had a front-row seat (i.e., blew off one or more classes) for Luke and Laura's wedding on "GH."

27. Your parents wanted you to attend medical school, but you decided it was pointless since Quincy got all the babes anyway.

28. You know who shot J.R.

29. You recall when Love's Baby Soft was in every girl's Christmas stocking.

30. This rings a bell: "My name is Charlie, and they work for me."

31. You were unsure if Diet Coke would ever catch on. (Related item: you were sure that "New Coke" would NEVER catch on.)

32. You know all the words to the double-album set of the "Grease" soundtrack.

33. You've ever had a Dorothy Hamill haircut.

34. You sat with your friends on any given Friday night circa 1982 and dialed 867-5309 to see if Jenny was actually there.

35. "All skate, change directions" means something to you.

36. You've ever owned a pair of rainbow suspenders like the ones Mork used to wear.

37. You bought a pair of Vanns and wanted to order a pizza in history class so you could be just like Jeff Spicoli. (Related item: if you've ever smacked yourself in the head with a shoe and exclaimed, "I'm so wasted!")
    38. You owned a Preppy Handbook.

39. You were too young to see "Blue Lagoon," so you just had to settle for the second-hand reports.

40. You remember when movies were only PG and R.

41. You learned to swim at about the same time "Jaws" came out....and still carry the emotional scars to prove it.

42. You remember when your cable TV box had a sliding selector switch...
    and your "cable remote" was connected to the TV by CORD!

43. Your jaw would ache by the time you finished one of those brick-sized packages of Bazooka.

44. You remember Bo and Luke Duke, Daisy, Boss Hogg, or--worst of all--what Sheriff Roscoe's full name was.

45. Your parents paid $2,000 for a top-loading VCR that was almost the size of a coffee table.

46. You found nothing strange about Bert and Ernie living together.

47. You remember having a rotary phone.

48. You actually believed that Mikey--famed kid on the Life cereal commercials--died after eating Pop Rocks and drinking a Coke.

49. "Members Only" jackets...say no more.

50. And lastly, I'll make a song stick in your head for the rest of the day:...you actually remember the words to the the theme song of "The Greatest American Hero."

20. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

:2up:I think I am going to copy this and post it on my fridge! THEY WERE ALL GREAT memories! Thanks for posting that!

21. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 13, 2008

Aack! That all could've been me at one point!:eek:

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2008

Here's the Amazon site where you can buy all those original movies & even the TV series:

http://www.amazon.com/Pippi-Longstocking-Collection-Board-South/dp/B000A0GYC8

23. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

Thanks!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2008

Sure!

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

there is a cool catalog that has all reproduction 50s and 60s stuff. It is called Betty's Attic.

www.bettysattic.com

26. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

"Believe it or not, I'm walking on air. I never thought I could be so freeeeeeee, flying away on wing and a prayer. Who could it be? Believe it or not it's just me"

Thanks for the memories while we "all skate, change directions"

27. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

wow; what a great thread.

Let's see...ah yes...Mid 60s: Mom & Dad purchased our first home for only $5,000 and we were on the North side of town - the furtherst North you could get! Being on the North was the newest part of our town.

I remember having only 3 channels on TV - and when dad wanted us to change it; we had to get up or come in from another room to change the dial. haha. There was no such thing as cable (yet), or MTV (yet). We were lucky if we got to stay up and watch The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

The wonderful 70s: I was in love Keith Partridge of the PF and boy were they big as were the Bradys. I remember when they first came on the air. No reruns for us! We're first generation lovers.

I remember school lunches were only 35 cents and 10 cents for an ice cream.

Sundays were very boring! Nothing was opened! boo hoo. I hated Sundays and there weren't good cartoons either on Sundays!

Records were so cheap, so were magazines. The 45s cost about 77 cents. We used to get a $5 a week allowance (alot back then) and we'd spend our money on magazines & records.

Sonny & Cher, Donny & Marie, The Hudson Brothers, Lawrence Welk, HeeHaw were some of our very favorite shows cuz we could see movie stars actually appearing on TV as themselves! WOW!

We could go to the movies and sit and watch the same movie again and again...for free! We did that alot; How do you think I learned the lines for Grease? hehe

When we wanted leftovers heated, we had to use the stovetop or the oven...no microwave ovens yet. Not too sure when they came out on the market; all I know is, my cousins got theirs first and we were all amazed to watch a potato "bake" in a few minutes! wow! Oh, and we'd pop our popcorn on the stove top; something I still do today!

Life was fun growing up. Sometimes I wish I could relive it :).

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

You could learn more by watching ants, playing 'kick-the-can', and timing when the street lights came on. That was old fashion fun. Toys were more fun when they didn't need batteries.

Kids had creativity. They could expand, explore and do a million things with the cardboard box that held a refridgerator.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

This is why so many people get upset and yet don't understand the significance of the Confederate Flag and a rope or noose being displayed anywhere.

If it meant nothing, it would not bother anyone. It means something, and the people who are dragging them back out are just trying to be funny, but they don't even realize how serious it is. A high school believes they have the right to wave the flag outside their school.

On the same page, The Univ of IL finally retired their mascot, Chief Illini.

It was insulting to the Native American people to have someone of another race parade around to perform a sacred dance.

But let's not dwell on this...and it causes our threads to take a turn for the worse...and end up in debate land... or the closed file!

I am glad that you are reminding us of how much life has changed, and bringing out those good memories. :)

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

And...did your folks save S&H Green Stamps, or Plaid Stamps from A&P or Blue Chip stamps in CA??

sigh! I remember when they closed down the store for the S&H Green Stamps. It was just like that episode of the Brady Bunch! We were all scrambling around the house, finding every last stamp, to buy whatever we could!!!

31. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

I remember, I remember!! S&H Green Stamps and Gold stamps (??)...mom would take us to the special store and look at the catalog there and choose her items; being kids, we were so bored waiting around for her!

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

another dumb show, with great theme song.

Sheesh, I know the theme song to at least 5-20 shows.

But ask me how to divide decimals!

Why didn't they have a Decimal Rock?! :(

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

There is a store in Universal Walk in L.A. (Burbank) that sells all the old time candy, and tins, and toys! Sugar Babies!!!

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

Ain't that the truth! These kids today. They just don't know what fun is. If there is no cord or USB cord for the computer, they don't know what to do with it. :unsure:

I can have fun with a deck of cards, and paper airplanes.

Any teacher can keep busy for hours with a pack of construction paper and a pair of scissors!!!

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

I can't eat this stuff. Microwave popcorn. What is in it??

Before Orville Rednebocker. Before the smelly stuff that will make me pass out. Extremely allergic to it... seriously.

Before Jiffy Pop!

We put corn kernels in a pot, with some oil. Put a top on it, and shook it across the burner. It was so exciting! Mom would shake it, and we would wait.

Pop, pop...POP POP POP. And then we could see it, coming out the sides! And we could smell it. MMMMMMmmmm.

sigh!

This IS a great thread!!!

36. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

I found the set of CD in our school's library. I kept it all year! Thats what we would watch at the end of the day. I taught kindergarten last year. The kids loved it!!!!!!!!!!! They were still learning and had fun.

37. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Ah ... but there was nothing like an old Jiffy Pop!

[​IMG]

Boy that was neat. All you had to do was put it over medium heat and it would start popping. The foil covering the disposable pan would expand until it was so round, it looked like it was going to split.

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

AHHHH... all this talk of food is making me hungry! Good night you guys! I'm going to get something to eat, and then relax and play some old dusties... that's what one radio dj called them, records so old, you had to blow the dust off of them! :D

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2008

I like watching shows, such as I Love Lucy, Gidget, & The Golden Girls because it reminds me of when life was a lot simpler.

(BTW, MPK, I replied to your reunion/bachelors situation in my thread, "Ways to Meet Someone.")

40. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

S & H green stamps. My mom let me put all the stamps in the books when I was in college, then I took the books & got things for my 1st apartment!

We scheduled our day around our soaps.

We could actually play with firecrackers. Put them in pop cans, in the drain spot, blow up the army men.

41. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

Was anyone else hooked on The Price is Right as a tween/middle schooler? My grandparents and I used to watch that and Family Feud together