Is anyone else NOT allowed into their building until the week before school starts?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tracykaliski, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2011

Just curious. School starts for us on the 23rd and we can't get into the building until Monday the 15th. Then, 3 days of that week are earmarked for meetings. :eek: I have a feeling I'm going to be there many late nights that week.

What about you?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

I was at school for a meeting last night.

I can get in any time.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

The school will be open the week before school starts and we have one mandatory day that week. We probably can get in earlier; we need to email the head caretaker to ask about hours and if our rooms are accessible. I try not to go in early, though, I know how much pressure they are under to get things finished and I don't want to be in the way.

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

We keep our keys year round. I love that I can go any time - even at midnight!

6. smtownEngteach

smtownEngteach Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

We can get in now. We can hang stuff up on walls, but we can's move any furniture around yet. I haven't received my school key yet, so I have to call another teacher ahead of time if I want to get in. I'm going tomorrow to do a little work.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

I'm not currently sure I have a building :lol: Okay, I know I have a building but no one answers the phone. I am assuming that they are gone until early August. We just got a new P too! We are scheduled to have a new teacher orientation on August 12th so if nothing else I'm hoping I can at least get in then to see what I have! :eek: We start the 18th!!! I don't even have textbooks or anything!

8. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Despite the cleaning that is going on, I have been to my room 3x already. The custodian is fantastic! I just had to touch bases with him to make sure that my room was accessible due to waxing, etc.

9. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

Keys

I have keys to our building and the code to the alarm (as do all the teachers) so we can go in any time. I would HATE to not be able to go in beforehand. I want to get my classroom ready before the workdays so that I can use the workdays to do planning, etc.

10. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

If we get permission from the P, we can keep our keys and go at anytime. Most people do so.... I'll likely head in around August 1 or so to start getting ready. We officially go back August 15.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

We can get in now, if we want to deal with the contractors and custodians all over the building. I've been up a few times, but I'm not really setting anything up until they are done.

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2011

We have our keys year round too. I worked a bunch in June doing little things that needed to be done. Yesterday I went in to help a teacher who has never taught our grade level before. We mainly just talked yesterday about what exactly first graders do and don't do. Today I took my 14 year old up and helped her move some furniture around between two rooms, while I worked in my room. I got some stuff done, but not as much as I had hoped I would. In fact my room looked like a hurricane had hit it when I left. I might go in tomorrow, not sure yet. I have all next week left and then I have meetings at least twice a week for two weeks before we go back on Aug 15. Kids come back Aug 22.

13. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2011

We have keys and codes to the alarm too, but we aren't allowed in until the 15th because of painting and things like that. I might go in next week to drop some stuff off, but I still can't get in until then to do any significant work. :(

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

We can get into our building anytime during the summer. We have keys to the building as well as our room keys. Since I teach in a high school, our school office is open Monday thru Thursday ~ kids need to get work permits, pick up report cards, pick up diplomas, coaches need access summer practices and camps . . . .

It would be very difficult for me to only have a few days in my room before school starts.

15. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 21, 2011

We are allowed in 24/7 365 days a year as long as we make sure that we lock the outside doors back when we enter the building. Every teacher gets a master key that opens every outer door and a master key that opens every inner door, so we are free-range teachers lol

16. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

We ALL should be permitted to work in our rooms anytime during the year, but I've always been at schools where we're not permitted to enter until a week before school starts. It's crazy!!!!

17. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

We're not allowed in the building during the summer. We can go back on the 15th, our first day is an inservice on the 22nd, and school starts on the 23rd.

Fortunately, there are no meetings during the week of the 15th, except for new teachers. I feel sorry for them. :( They'll only have a couple of days to set their rooms up, and I think we have to leave the building by 5:00 that week. We usually don't have any set-up time the first week of school, and during the school year we have to leave the building by 7:00.

Keys? I wish! Only our admin, secretaries, and custodians have keys.

18. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 21, 2011

Typically we can get into our building, HOWEVER they are painting the school. They told us at the end of the year the painters would be pushing to get the school painted in time. With that being said to us I pretty much took it I should wait until closer to school starting back before I go. I think Im going to give it another week then head to the school.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 21, 2011

I would have a heart attack if I couldn't get in until the week before! lol We have to clear our floor every year so they can strip our floors, but they painted my room this year (yay, ugly white/blue-gray is gone - now sunshine yellow!!) and so on top of all the rest, I had to get everything off the shelves, move the shelves - and I have a lot of stuff! I've been working on it a week, and will work on it all next week, too. My first official day back is August 9 and my kids come back on the 12th.

20. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

We always report back a week before the students show up. Our school is open now and I know some teachers have started going in, I don't know when I will go in, don't really want to.

21. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

I wasn't planning on going in early until I got the notice in the mail that I have jury duty starting the day teachers have to report back. :dizzy:

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 21, 2011

School begins August 15th and teachers return August 8th.

I will be going to school on Monday (July 25th) to get my keys so I can begin working in my classroom. I will be starting at a new school and will be teaching a new grade-level, so I have a TON of things to accomplish over the next few weeks!

Normally, though, I don't return to school until two weeks before the kids.

To answer the original question--we (all teachers in our district) turn in our keys on the last day of school and aren't supposed to pick them up until a week before the students return (unless we make arrangements with our principal).

23. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Jul 21, 2011

We had to turn in our keys and are not allowed back until 2 days before we have to report for SD. P switched a lot of our staff to new grade levels so most had to move rooms before school let out. I have to change grade levels, but get to remain in my classroom.

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2011

We can't keep our keys, but all I have to do is call the custodian, and he'll let me in my room. Of course, in a week our new P will take office, and who knows what her rules will be - it varies by school here - I know some people who have been in and out of their classrooms all summer.

25. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

We don't get our keys until we officially return, but the school is open.

26. Opal

Opal Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Ack!

School starts the 23rd, and we were told to plan on a loooong working weekend to get our rooms set up on the 20th and 21st.

I guess the building won't be completely ready until then....

Sigh.

It's going to be a whirlwind weekend and I will be quite thankful for my husband and his handy work.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

Same here. So, that means 1 week to get the classroom ready, while we have meetings everyday. It's worse for the teachers who are new to the school though, because they have many new-teacher orientations and meetings to attend, and consequently less time to prepare their rooms.

28. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

My first two years teaching, I worked at a school where you couldn't go in early. Of the 5 work days, 3 were taken up by meetings and professional development. On top of that, there was a HUGE turnover rate, so at about half of the staff was new, so it's not like everyone was already set up! AND, the principal moved teachers every year, so we had to get all of our stuff out of our rooms. What a nightmare that place was.

29. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 21, 2011

I go back on Aug. 10th and students start on the 15th. I'm not allowed in until the 8th. They took our classroom keys the last day of school. We have keyless entry into our school but that doesn't help us get in any earlier b/c you need a key to turn off the alarm.

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 21, 2011

Wow! I am really amazed at how many schools take up keys. I've only taught in two (both rural) and both let us keep our keys. I think I will make sure to thank my principal! :)

31. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, my aunt works in a rural school with about 15 staff members, and they can get in with their key any time during the year.

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

Me. This is new this year. They are trying to cut energy expenses, but there is no AC in my building anyway so I don't understand why it matters. I asked if I could just run upstairs and throw a bag of stuff I had bought on my desk and they said no. I was really annoyed.

33. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

The office staff will be back the beginning of August, and I'll be able to get in then if I want to, but we won't have A/C until the day before school starts on the 24th.

34. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

We have to turn in our keys at the end of the year...but we can immediately sign them out again. I can get in any time day or night.

35. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

There was a week that my room was off-limits so they could wax the floors -- but even then I snuck in to get something I needed for a conference. We keep our keys year-round, so we can get in anytime. I love going in the evenings or on weekends when no one's there - I can do whatever i want (like decorate) and not worry about any interruptions.

36. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

I wouldnt say that I cannot get into my room throughout the summer... as I havent checked to see how the P feels about letting me in. So as of right now school starts on the 4th... open house the 3rd... 1 mandatory workday and 2 days to work in my room... with a possible 3rd if I ask to get in earlier.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

We don't have keys to the building, only to our classrooms and we hand these in at the end of the school year. There is normally a summer camp in our building during the summer, but this year they are using a different location. This means that the school will be locked up tight and we need the caretakers to let us in and out.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

We hand in our keys too, though I could certainly request to get them back. And our school is always buzzing. During the summer we have work crews (kids hired on for the summer, led by adults) doing painting and electrical and gardening and all sorts of work.

39. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2011

Same boat - but we'll be lucky if the school is ready for us by Aug 15th. I guess there have been some delays this summer... and in addition to the 3 PD days, every one has to move all their stuff back in and unpack WHILE setting up!!!

40. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2011

Teachers cannot get into the building until Sept 6.
    That's the day we get class lists and schedules too.
    Meetings all day...no room time.
    Kids report Sept 7.

41. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

:eek: What do you do?