Is anyone else just.......

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by runnerss, Aug 1, 2009.

1. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

feeling a little OVERWHELMED?!!! There is so much to do with so little time to do it all:eek: I still have to make labels, find border and put it up, make 80 student file folders, discipline folders, and the list goes on and on! How do you deal with everything that you have to do? This is my 5th year to teach. You would think I would have all of this down.

3. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

I am feeling overwhelmed also. I feel like I have so much lesson planning to do! and they just added Lang. Arts to my load.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

I went in for a full week and just worked on the room. I wanted everything fresh and new. Made a lot of standards posters and banners at home and whipped them up the next day. Made checklists the night before and stuck to each job until it was done.

(Oops. I forgot. I'm not teaching anything but Writing, so I shoved all the unfiled papers having to do with anything else in a box and put it in the closet. I guess that's cheating since I didn't refile them!)

I'm done, finally! Tuesday is our first preplanning and it's "Meet the Teacher" that afternoon from 4-6. Meeting all day Wednesday, kids come to school on Thursday. That gives me one day to plan. But then, I'm only going to plan for Thursday and Friday.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 1, 2009

I'm trying not to think about everything that is left to be done. I do it every year, though. I stress, and it still gets done. :)

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 1, 2009

Sigh.

Yes.

I thought I had two full weeks off until I went back full time. Surprise! Got a call on Friday-my family needs me to come in this next week. I have NOTHING done. No lesson plans. No pacing guide for the year. No idea where to start. The room is drab-I don't know where to start, as it's really a guest room.

It's like my brain has completely shut off. Everything is too new, too different and I have no co-workers to help me through this. I feel like I'm drowning, and I'm mad at myself because this is NOT me! I'm usually the one with energy and ideas and passion! What's WRONG with me????

7. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Stress of the known and unknown Jem. I am in a similar place right now. Going to the Lord with my fears and gathering strengths from the things that inspire me. Sometimes it helps to be a little creative. If it helps I don't have any lessons either. I started out with a year at a glance calendar and my standards, they added a subject, so I have to do this with Language Arts now too. I think I may find a place and get a mocha and plan it out in between church services tomorrow.

8. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I am completely stressed out as well. My school (the only one in the district) is putting in a new heating system so we can't get into our classrooms until the day before school starts! I prepared my first week of school before leaving for the summer, but I think it will be a very long day when we finally are allowed back......IF they finish construction on time. My husband will be glad when my classroom, which is currently located in my living room, returns to school!

9. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I am overwhelmed too! :help: I'm managing by trying not to freak out. I am moving to a new school, and I won't be able to move into my room until tomorrow. Maybe. We might have meetings all day. I agree with you, though. And here's what has me freaking out. We are departmentalized, and no one has decided whether or not we will have our homeroom all day the first day or not! So I'm not even sure how to plan for the first day! Do some people not realize that some of us like to feel a little sane on the first week of school?

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

Take a deep breath guys.

Most of the stuff you're talking about is "extras." On that first day, as long as my kids come home safe and happy, having had lunch and not cried, I'm a happy mom.

So prioritize: what NEEDS to get done for that first day?? And take it from there.

Jem: Don't sweat the room; it can be a work in progress. And don't worry about the pacing guide for the whole year. Think big picture: what topics will you be covering, and which ones will you be introducing tomorrow? Then get to work on them.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

Thanks, Alice. The parents actually want to meet on Tuesday and see which standards I'm covering each week and how I plan on preparing my student for the state test in the spring. So it's a parent thing. But I know my standards are much, much higher than theirs, so I do need to just take a deep breath and step back. It will be fine. I'll start working on it today.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2009

Why not have the kids do some of it for you? Like, if each kid needs two or three files, instead of you writing their names on them and then filing them, why not have them do it. Use it to teach procedures such as, how you pass things out, how we wait for our turn to place the files back into their correct location, etc. The more years I taught, the more I felt comfortable passing some of my workload onto the kids. I was really bad about doing that in fifth grade. But, they wanted to help. So, I ignored my guilt and let them. They were happy and I had more time to rest and prepare for a lesson/activity.

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

I'm very overwhelmed!
    This is my first time with my own classroom and I'm not even able to get into the room for another two weeks.
    It's going to be a mess (I had to pack the room up before I left because we were switching rooms). So I have to unpack, bring my stuff in, and then get organized.

Did I mention I live 100 miles from school and my lease up there doesn't start till 9/1 so I guess I'll be driving there and back while setting up the room LOL.

14. caslan

caslan Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I, too, am overwhelmed. We had to pack up our room so they could be painted and get the floors done. I know some of you do this every year, but WOW... EVERYTHING in boxes... which they put out in the hall with everyone else's stuff... Mine was all labeled, but I'm still missing things.. Chairs, stepladder, my mouse for my computer (???) I finally got it all unpacked, but planning wise, I'm not in great shape. My walls are bare and I have zero ideas, but 3 bulletin boards. Who knows what I'll do with them. I have just about decided that as long as they have paper and border on them, I can say they are ready for Open House :) I tend to hand-make all of my bulletin board stuff which makes my job harder, but I can never find anything premade that I really like, or that feels like me. I don't do the apple/school-bus theme-y stuff. Just don't like it (sorry to any of us that do like it, it's just not me....) Anyway... It's been a stressful summer (Master's classes, 4 kids, deployed hubby) so I am more than ready for it to all be over with, but not "ready" as in, everything is done.... Oh well. I will do what I can, but I assume that the world will not stop turning if I don't have everything done exactly like I want it come the first day of school.

15. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

YES so overwhelmed! So much stuff to do... but camp is over this week and then I will have 2 full weeks to plan and organize my classroom. I'm hoping that will be enough time?!

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 2, 2009

I do feel overwhelmed, but I am taking Alice's approach. Having lost my father in law last weekend, and spending most of July with visits to the hospital, I am setting my priorities a little different from now on.

17. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

Well, to make all of you feel better...I have been looking for a teaching job--not plentiful in IL this year. I've taught for 20 years, but took two off to homeschool my son and now I'm out of the loop. Have a possibility for a 5th grade, but haven't even interviewed yet! (Any prayer warriors out there??? =})

18. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I worked in a school that was housed in a church, and had to clean out every summer. It's work!! My first bulletin boards were simple, like one big one with a "Getting to Know You" type title and empty space for kids' photos (take the first day with a digital or Polaroid). Another had a map of the Oregon trail with little wagon icons I made off to one side, ready for teams. A first-grade reading board was a giant brown picnic basket with a little gingham (simulating a table cloth) "hanging" out of the top. The kids wrote the books they'd read on giant ants that walked up the side. A "What We're Doing" type of board for displaying work helps, too. You can also add some colored paper shapes or cut-outs (like for scrapbooking) to fill in spaces until you get some other things up there. Just think in terms of a few big items that fill space for now so it's not bare.

19. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 6, 2009

Life (and summer) is too short for stress. I put up some fadeless paper and border but am leaving the boards blank for charts & word walls. Clutter free feels clean and fresh ... well that's my excuse.

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

Consider this prayer warrior praying for your 5th grade job!:hugs:

21. nsenyo

nsenyo New Member

Aug 7, 2009

You are not alone. I had a rough school year last year that left me considering other careers. I have decided to stay in teaching but this year is going to be just as stressfull. We just got a new principal, so I am very worried about the changes that are going to come about for this year.

I have been working all summer at other jobs, and when I do get a day off I have no brain power left to think about the coming school year...

Just remember everyone...you are all professionals and even though you feel overwhelmed right now, once the school year gets underway you will find that everything will fall into place.