Is anyone else as sick of indoor recess as I am?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 13, 2009

It hasn't rained in almost five days. The ground is dry. All the kids have coats. It's 47 degrees outside, NO WIND and we have a HUGE playground that accomodates all the classes. So why in the world do we keep having indoor recess?! :confused:

I love my kids and I am so grateful that our schools have monitors because it keeps my kids out of MY hair, BUT it annoys me nonetheless when I'm either eating lunch or grading papers during my 45 minute break, when suddenly there's all this commotion and my room is full of students!

They have had indoor recess almost everyday since December even though our weather has been mild (most days are in the 40s with no wind)

PLUS, they need time to run around and play. grrr!!!

PS: According to our COUNTY law, the kids aer supposd to be able to go outside whenever the weather is 32 degrees and up.

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 13, 2009

I have recess duty once a week and I hate when it's inside. They need to run off some energy. We go out if it is above about 25. 40's and no wind would be heaven.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2009

:lol:--ours are outside (usually) unless it's colder than -15C with the windchill (5 degrees F). We've had a fair bit of rain and ice which kept us in before the Christmas break, but it has to be pretty cold before they aren't going out at all.

I agree, I hate indoor recess. The kids need that time to burn off some energy.

If it was in the 40s here during the winter, we'd have kids wanting to go outside in shorts and T-shirts!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 13, 2009

Sounds like you work at a normal school. My previous school was about 15 minutes away from my current school and the principal used to turn on the news about 10 minutes before the first recess shift and if the weather was 32 or above, she'd get on the intercom and announce outdoor recess and we'd all cheer.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2009

The only time we get indoor recess is if there is actual water falling from the sky. A few drops or a light drizzle doesn't count. Though it's seldom still below freezing at 9:30, it often is before school and the kids play outside.

If they can wait for the bus and/or walk to school in weather, why can't they play in it? That would be my question.

BTW, we have an opposite problem. We get days when it's 105+ in the afternoons. And we still send the kids out.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 13, 2009

Being in the speech & RSP field, I'm glad I never have to worry about this! Those are pull-out programs, so they go back to their own classes for that.

8. reverie

reverie Companion

Jan 13, 2009

Wow!! When I was teaching the rule was they'd go out unless it was below 0. If it was below 32, they'd never go out! Also, next week it's supposed to be in the 30s here and I know the kids will think it's warm enough to take their coats off outside! HAh.

9. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 13, 2009

Oh gosh, sending kids out in extremely hot weather is just as bad, if not worse. we had several snow days last year and went to school very late in the year.

It was so hot and humid that the kids played outside on the last day for all of 10 minutes, then they were extremely sweaty and begging me to let them go back inside.

I knew they were over heated because my students absolutely loved playing on the playground especially when no other kids were outside and they could have all the equipment to themselves

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 13, 2009

I live in CA, so we don't have indoor recess that often. We've been thinking about moving to Oregon...now that you mention indoor recess...I'm wondering if I'll be having a lot more of that over there?!

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 13, 2009

Yes!!! We are going nuts at school. The kids haven't been out in awhile do the low low temperatures. Supposed to be like this all week, AHHHH

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2009

I like it once in a while because I have recess duty with them most days....having it inside gives me the chance to get things done around the room (rather than watch them play outside).

However, we have not been out in over a week (too cold, we don't go out unless it is above 32). and they are getting restless!!!
    I wish we could take them out just for 10 min to run some energy off and then come back in for the rest of recess! I bet it would also kill some of the germs that are developing in our building!!

13. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Jan 13, 2009

Above 32?!? Wow, we'd never go out with those standards! :lol: We only go out if it's 0 above - and we weren't out for any recesses today and won't be for the rest of the week, I'm sure. Thursday's high is supposed to be -4!! :eek: Gotta loooove WI winters, I guess.

14. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 14, 2009

Exactly! I swear one little girl in my classroom has had a neverending cold ever since we stopped going outside. Everyday when she greets me in the morning (i stand at the classroom door) there's so much mucus running from her nose that it starts leakign into her mouth and sometimes drizzles off her chin.:eek:

I want to scream: EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! but instead I just remind her to get a tissue.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 14, 2009

Yep, I am sick of it.
    Icing on the cake? My class has some severe respect issues with other adults in the building, especially at lunch. Over half of my class must EAT in my room during my lunch because they can't behave themselves in the lunch room.
    I left the building today. Had to get out, even in below 10 degree weather.
    Is it spring yet??????