Is anyone alternate route?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by MrsTC, Jul 16, 2006.

1. MrsTC

MrsTC New Member

Jul 16, 2006

Hi everyone, I am new here :) I have been working in HR for over 5 years and I am now going to school for Elem. Ed. K-5. In the process of interviewing, etc. I am in NJ. Just wondering, what everyone's luck has been getting a position via alternate route?

Thanks!

3. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Hi, I was in HR for the past 3 years and I know what you’re going through. One of the biggest reasons that I was just offered a position in a local high school was because of #1 my passion for working with teens and #2 all of the volunteer work that I have done with my youth group and another youth organization. If you have volunteer work that you have done I encourage you to use that and highlight it. Anything that you have done with kids. Also, be sincere in your quest. I have found that it will shine through your inexperience. Good luck! :)

4. mrmathematician

mrmathematician Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

I am in an alternate route program in Georgia. I had one interview and was hired on the spot. It all depends on how you present yourself. Best of luck!

5. cactusfive

cactusfive Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

I had no problem at all getting hired with an alternate route program. Mrmathematician is right, if you are knowledgeable and present yourself as an educator, you should not have a problem getting hired.

6. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I also had no problem finding a job being in an alternative program. I made sure to list the hours I had pertaining to the subject I wished to teach and displayed my knowledge of content whenever I could. I think some schools like the fact that you have yet to create any teaching habits and you are a fresh slate to mold to their needs! Good Luck!