Is Anyone a Career Switcher?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Trying to Teach, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Trying to Teach

Trying to Teach Rookie

Sep 3, 2009

Hi Everyone, I currently work in public relations with a BS in Communication and am trying to get into a career switcher program this January that could have me teaching by next school year. (I am keeping my fingers crossed, PR is just not for me)

Anyway, is anyone here a career switcher? :help: I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who is. Was the job search harder than actually getting a degree instead of just the teaching license? Do you feel the program actually taught you what you needed to know to be a great teacher?

Any feedback is welcome. Even though teaching is exactly what I want to do, getting there is the nerve-racking and hard part!

I hope you all have a great Labor Day holiday! :p

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 3, 2009

I changed careers after realizing that I was wrong to drop out of the Education program in college. I finished my teaching certificate when I was 33 and went on to sub for a couple of years. It didn't bother me because I had to create a whole new resume after a decade of finance and banking. I'm so happy in my current job!!! It was worth the effort.

4. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Sep 3, 2009

I worked in finance and accounting for 10 years, getting an MBA halfway through. Switched careers and love it, don't miss the old career a bit. But, can certainly be challenging and won't be an easy road, probably. But, if it's what you want to do then it's worth the risk, in my opinion.

Good luck!

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2009

I was a television writer back in the '80s, then spent several years as a professional PTA mom (LOL) before going back for a credential at the age of 48. I'm starting my sixth year at this school, and while I make considerably less money than I did in my writing days, I'm completely content.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2009

What are you planning to teach? That will probably have a HUGE effect on your ability to find a job.

7. Allysundrop

Allysundrop Rookie

Sep 3, 2009

I am in my 3rd week of my new career as a teacher! I was previously a bank teller with an English degree. I am in an alternative certification program. The two week crash course was good, but I don't know that any course can prepare you for what goes on in the actual classroom. There are LOTS of new teachers in my school, most are straight out of college, and they have said that their classes didn't quite prepare them for this either.

So in short...I don't know that your course will prepare you to be a great teacher. I think it's more about your drive, passion, and ability to connect with the kids.

I definitely won't tell you that it's easy though. I'm working at a really tough school though, so I'm sure it depends where you are. We had 26 kids arrested yesterday after an outbreak of fights all over the school.....So for me, it's really hard, but it has it's great moments too!

Good luck!

8. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 4, 2009

Wow, that's really rough. Glad to hear that you are hanging in there with a great attitude.

9. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

I switched over after a career in law enforcement working everything from patrol to detective. I now teach 8th grade social studies and coach football/basketball. I just finished week two in the classroom. It has been challenging, but fun at the same time. Some of my kids love me. Others do not. However, I do not let the opinions of 13 year olds bother me. :D

BLH

10. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Sep 5, 2009

I am a career switcher, worked in the state prison system for a decade, my degree is in Criminal Justice. Quit last year and went though and ACP and am now teaching middle school science. I love love love teaching, and really feel that my previous career helped me more than ANY class or college education could. I have zero discipline problems and the new teachers coming straight out of college cannot understand why!

11. elephants15

elephants15 Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

I am in the same boat! I just started at working towards my certification/masters. I will be certified in secondary math. I'm an engineer now and definitely want a job with more human interaction! Good luck with your journey!

12. Dalamar

Dalamar New Member

Sep 9, 2009

I was in police detective and officer for 8 years. My undergraduate was in political science. I am finishing up a masters in teaching science education. It has taken me a year to complete the masters. While doing that I have worked at a school as an educational assistant to get more experience with classroom/kids setting. I hope to have a job very soon teaching middle school science.

13. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

I switched after several years in litigation and I don't miss anything but the paycheck! I'd be better if I had ever had another cause to cultivate patience or ever learned to check my snarky tone at the door, but whatever. The golden moments are so awesome!

14. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Sep 17, 2009

I spent 15 years as an environmental/ civil engineer. Got sick of the business side of consulting and went to teaching high school math.

I keep several of my engineering text books in my classroom for answering "Where is this really used?"

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 17, 2009

I wouldn't technically say I'm a career switcher, but I did work part-time as a senior account rep in credit card services for Citigroup for 8 yrs while in college & subbing.

16. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Sep 20, 2009

I'm a career changer-used to be a lawyer. I had mixed results with my job search, but I ultimately found a great job teaching high school social studies. Some principals didn't want anything to do with me because they only wanted experienced teachers or teachers with an education degree. Others saw the value in my career experience and were very interested. I was hired at a career fair last summer.

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2009

Me too - at the age of 47! I was going to go the district alternative certification route, but was derailed when they canceled classes this summer due to the budget crisis (all my plans crumbled before my very eyes). I REALLY didn't want to incur a student loan at my age, but didn't want to wait to see if the alt. cert. program would start up again. So, I just started classes at a State U. and love them. Instead of jumping in with my own classroom (which I was looking forward to), I'm subbing. The money's not steady, but at least I have time to absorb the material.