Is any one here from University of Delaware or the Newark Area/

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by moonbeamsinajar, Mar 23, 2012.

1. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

My daughter has been accepted into the grad program at U. of D. and is considering going there. We were down to visit the campus today and it seems like a nice area. If anyone is familiar with the area, I was wondering about off campus housing. After checking the reviews online, the places she can afford seem very frightening! If anyone is familiar with Newark, I would love some input... housing areas, shopping, a good garage for car repairs... etc. All those things that mom won't be able to help with anymore.:D

3. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

City-data.com might be a useful resource for you. They have things like crime statistics and forums for asking questions about each region. I don't frequent the forums and have found that the posters can be a little um, passionate, so tread carefully. It IS still a decent resource though, and I have used it several times in the past to scope out different areas. Here's the forum for Delaware: http://www.city-data.com/forum/delaware/

4. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Mar 24, 2012

Thanks! I never heard of that site. I will definitely check it out!

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012

PMing you now.

6. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

May 2, 2012

I'm from Delaware, but much lower in the state. I didn't go to UofD, but I do know several who have. One thing I'd say stick as close to the campus as possible. Newark isn't a very nice place in some areas, but closer to the school is better. I know they have lots of people who rent houses strictly to students. The school might be able to clue you in on where to go. Otherwise check the cafe's for postings. Shopping- there are lots of little shops right in the area. Car repairs, couldn't help ya there.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 2, 2012

I have used those forums somewhat since I am relocating this summer. I agree- there is some information there, but a lot of the posters aren't very friendly! Try doing a search in the forums and you'll probably find a lot of what you're looking for. I know at least in the forum for my area they are really tired of answering the "Will I like (city)? Is (town) a bad neighborhood?

They have an education forum, but I typically just read and don't really post there. I did see our old friend marcus posting in it though!

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

May 3, 2012

Thanks for all the ideas and input. I will definitely check out some of those things. I think housing issue is solved- she put down a deposit for an off campus apartment in a student housing complex!