Is any grading done in K?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacher_of_many, Jul 10, 2010.

1. teacher_of_many

teacher_of_many Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

I remember that with first and up papers were graded. Or maybe they were just stamped at first? Anyways something to show that they were looked at. But what about K? Are papers graded? Should they be graded? Or is it ok to give the kids a break their first year and enjoy doing their work instead of prematurely getting them to start being apprehensive about how 'good' they are doing? (I hope they don't have to get graded) :) Or is it up to individual teachers?

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

You need to check with your school.

At our school, and district even, Kindergartners receive percentage grades. Not sure how though lol

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 10, 2010

I do think it varies. Our report card grades are 1, 2, 3-beginning, intermediate and advanced. Now we were required to do things like spelling tests and common assessments that we would grade with a percentage-but it didn't affect their overall standing-we just liked them to get used to the system. Otherwise they get to First Grade and get all excited because they got a 50% on a spelling test. Now something like writing or projects-I don't grade at all in the beginning. Mid-year I introduce them to rubrics-but honestly, I'm not real tough with it-I want them to express themselves more than I'm concerned in correcting their work.

For many the academics just aren't there, the whole process is new to them, they are just learning about expectations. Kinder is really a grade for developing skills-a lot of what we teach we aren't teaching to mastery-it's a foundation to keep building on.

5. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

We don't do "that" many papers.... mostly hands-on activities. With that said, we do some activity papers and name tracing/writing, & journal activities, but the papers are done together so they usually get a happy face/sticker/stamp... We do quarterly benchmarks to give Kindergarteners their "grades". When we assess something... Usually, they either know it or they don't, so the answer is a yes/no or true/false kind of answer on a bubble sheet (the teacher fills in). The percentage of what goes on their benchmark grades comes from that. You'll have to check with your district to see what they want you to do.

I find it hard to assess some things (observation type objectives), so be sure ask a lead teacher how to assess at your district. Any objective that starts with "Is aware of..." is very subjective but most districts have a way they want you to assess.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 11, 2010

We just give a score to assessments. Each common assessment has a rubric, where they score 1, 2, 3, or 4, and it correlates directly with their report card grade.

We don't really do worksheets that can be graded, though. We do have a workbook that goes along with our math curriculum. With workbook pages I just circle the things they did incorrectly, and they fix them the next morning right when they arrive.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

I do a homework packet each week and I put a big sticker on the first. There is no "grading" but I want parents to know I appreciate that they were working with their child.

8. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

kindergarten gets report cards 3 times a year in my school. They get either a "P" for proficient, a "W" for working towards proficiency or an "L" for limited proficiency.

Most of the grading gets done at the end of each marking period. Each child is tested one on one on the skills that are being graded for that particular marking period (letter recognition, letter sounds, decoding, counting, sight words etc....). It takes me a very long time to test each child on the many skills that we assess. Most of this is oral testing where the kids are telling me letters, words, numbers, counting, sight words etc...

Some grading, however, is done on the paper work they do throughout the marking period. Things like fine motor skills (cutting, coloring, printing ) are skills I have to assess, so I do look at some of their papers that they turn in (particulary at the end of the marking period) and keep track in my grade book. Its not a percentage or score that I record, but rather tally marks. For example, on my cutting grades if a child had a really nice and neat paper they would get a tally mark in my "+" column. If it was not cut out neatly it would go in the "-" column. That way at the end of the marking period I have something to back up the grade that I give the child if a parent would question me. I do this for other skills as well.

Starting in the second marking period I have to grade their journal writing. They are only graded on basic writing skills, but it still needs to be done. We write in journals several times a week, so I usually take all the journals home and look through them to see if they are consistently doing the skills that are being graded. I don't mark the journals, but I do use the journals as part of the kid's writing skills grade.

Even though I do not grade every paper we do, I still check them and write comments. I believe that the kids need to think that their work and neatness matter. They don't really understand "grading" , but they do want to please me. I do not want them to think

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

we have report cards but no letter grades. We don't do hardly any worksheet type activities (almost all hands-on) to grade. We have assessments- that is the only time they are grade a "grade".

10. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

I use: M-mastered skill, P-progressing, I-improvement needed
    I keep track in my grade book some of each phonics, handwriting & math worksheets (curriculum workbooks) as well as oral evals, sight words, color & number words, spelling, etc. Takes a lot of time!

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

We have the same designations, M P and I. I don't use a grade book, but instead have a file folder box and put chapter tests and benchmark tests in there. Then when I do report cards I just pull out each child's folder and enter the marks. :cool: