Is a portfolio necessary?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lotusblossom, Jun 18, 2007.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 18, 2007

And if so, what definitely *needs* to go in it?

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 18, 2007

You'll probably get different responses from others, but I think not. I've taken my portfolios (yes, I have two!) to interviews and never used them. Today I asked if they wanted to see it and they said no.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 18, 2007

I have been on interviewing committes for three years and we never look at people's portfolios. I would say that your presence in the interview is more inportant than what is in your portfolio. With that being said, I'm sure there are principals that look at portfolios. It never hurts to have it. I would put your educational philosophy, as well as approach to discipline and classroom management.

5. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 18, 2007

thanks! :)

6. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 18, 2007

I bring my portfolio and refer to it...such as if I'm talking about a lesson I have done... I might pull out some student work of a project.

Thats about the extent...I've never actually had any principals look through my portfolio.

7. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

I have always taken my portfolio. If not to show them everything, to use as a reference. However, the principal that offered me my job took the time to look through EVERYTHING in my portfolio and was very impressed. It can't hurt. I included things like my resume, teaching phil., recommendation letters, evals., discipline plan, technology resources, sample lesson plans, tests, etc., parent communication, instructional strategies, pictures, and even some things on reading/writing (mostly because i was interviewing for 1st grade). Make sure you take a resume for them as well, and I even gave them copies of my recommendation letters.

8. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

I've never used a portfolio at all. I have a couple "mini-portfolios" that I've put together for a specific grade level and brought with me to an interview, but no one has ever looked at them. On the other hand, my mother-in-law's cousin is a principal and he told me that he likes to see portfolios. So I guess it just depends on the principal and/or school district.

9. Blackberry_Girl

Blackberry_Girl Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I think based on the responses here, it's best to have one prepared just in case. It's better to have it in case the principal wants to see it than to be empty handed.