Is a personal printer needed for new teacher?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by karypal, Jun 17, 2018.

1. karypal

karypal Rookie

Jun 17, 2018

I'm about to start my first year of teaching (I don't know ow the grade level yet; but it will be K-5). I'm wondering if I should buy a printer for all of the labels and classroom prep I'll need to set up my classroom or if I should just rely on the school printer... As a teacher, do you often need a persoal printer? If so, approximately how many pages do you think you go through per month?
    Thanks!

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2018

Check with your school/district to see what tech they'll have available. Most likely, you'll have a printer in your room or nearby that you can print to, thus negating a need to have your own.

Same with pages: ask your school/district about the rules around the number of pieces of paper you can use. Some will have a limit, some don't, and some have you bring all of your own.

You'll get lots of ideas here from others in classrooms, but they may not be applicable for your situation (thus I'll wait to share mine).

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 17, 2018

Our school supplies a laser printer and one cartridge per year. We get 4000 copies a month (up from 1600 a few years ago) on the copier. All of our computers print to the copier.

At the beginning of the year I print labels for my desks, and that is all I do from home. I have five different classes, and I color code their name labels for the first day of school.

Otherwise I don’t use a personal printer for school work. A few of my coworkers have personal copiers, but I don’t have a need for one.

5. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jun 17, 2018

Yes, I do feel like I need a personal printer. There are plenty of things that I print that are not school related, but I do use my personal printer a lot for school too. I have two: a laser printer I bought while in college (its running on about 5 or so years) and a hp all-in one color printer that I bought last year for the scanning capabilities (it was actually cheaper at the time to buy the printer than it was to just buy a scanner). At school, we are provided a printer to use, but it is only black and white and doesn't print double sided. When I need to print school things, I usually use it, but there have been times I find myself needing something printed while at home or I want something printed in color.

If you do decide to buy a printer, I suggest an hp that is compatible with their instant ink program; I have this for the all-in one, and I LOVE it. You pay a monthly fee depending on the number of pages you print, and hp keeps you stocked with ink. You can change the plan at anytime during the month if you need more prints; the cheapest plan is $2.99 and the highest is $9.99 a month with roll over pages. If you do a lot of printing, it ends up being cheaper than buying ink cartridges.

You can usually find a decent printer during back to school sales pretty cheap. Good luck with the new job!

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 17, 2018

Not at all in my district. We have printers in the 4 faculty rooms, as well as in the main office and the media center. No limits or passwords.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 17, 2018

I only use my personal printer when I'm planning at home and want to print off a master copy. Most things I save into my Google account and then print at school. Definitely wait until you know what is available at your school.

8. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 17, 2018

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  9. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jun 17, 2018

I don’t need a personal printer, but I enjoy having one. Each classroom is supplied with its own printer, and you can request toner as needed. However, we can only print black and white. I like decor and certain items to be printed in color, so I print that at home. I also print master copies if I’m planning at home.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 18, 2018

Many districts don't allow personal printers in the classroom, except perhaps the computer classroom. We were able to have them in our classroom in the past, with the teacher bearing the cost of all printing supplies, but they have now been banned, so they have disappeared. Honestly, I don't miss them = the school gives us access to three printers that are faster and more efficient, spread out throughout the buildings. One of those will even print color, but because it is the farthest away, I tend to forget about that, and simply print that "extra special" job at home on my color printer.

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2018

Are you looking to print labels, etc. in color at home? I would honestly advise against purchasing a printer just for school right away. Maybe you can wait a few months and see if it is something that you want to invest in. You should be able to print everything at school & I wouldn't want to spend so much $$ so early! I am lucky to have a printer but I am going to try to not use it on school!

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 18, 2018

If you are looking to print at home, go for it. I would not be allowed to bring in a personal printer for use at school. We do have a printer/copier in the hall near my room, and we are only allowed to use the network printers.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2018

You don't need one, but I got a printer in my classroom and it has been so nice! It would be hard to go back.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2018

We have two printers in the school to print to--one in the office and one in the library--one of which prints in colour. We don't have copy limits, but are asked to consider the amount of printing/copying we do. We are not allowed able to connect personal printers to our network.

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2018

If you are asking about having a printer for you to use at home, then I'd say go for it. I do occasionally print things from home - some school-related, some not. I know a lot of people who don't have an at-home printer, but I would personally hate it.

If you are asking about having a printer for your classroom, I'd wait and see what is provided for you at school. In my current school, I absolutely don't need one. I can walk about 20 feet down the hallway and get anything that I need to print in black and white. When it runs out of toner, I only need to walk an additional 20 feet. If I need color printing, I can print to the main office, which is only a 30 second walk away. All that said, my first school was a charter with only one printer/copier. It was far away, and it was definitely a problem when I needed to print something last minute or if there was a line at the copier/printer. I did get my own personal printer for my classroom back then. So, wait and see what you have. Then determine what you need.

16. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Jun 21, 2018

The best investment I made my first year teaching was my personal laminator for home. I use it constantly, especially since the school laminator only seems to function for one week of the school year. I made so many literacy and math games with it and since I have always been a Sunday lesson planner I had to print from home in order to get the games laminated for Monday. So I am very dependent on my home printer. If I planned further ahead I could have gotten by with the classroom printer, but I haven't made it there yet.