Is a class set necessary?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by brit2187, Jan 29, 2012.

1. brit2187

brit2187 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012

Our school has a very small and, if I may say so, dull collection of class sets of books. We have already done three novel units with some great sets of books that I have either purchased myself or borrowed from another teacher. I want to start another one this week but I do not like any of the class sets we have to choose from.

What do you all think about me reading a book to them aloud and doing a unit study on it? Do you think it is necessary for every child to have his or her own copy of the book or can I just read to them? I have been told my reading is quite engaging :) so hopefully I could keep their attention.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 29, 2012

I don't think it is sufficient for the students to just listen to stories. I think the reading component should be more academic. They should be looking at the printed text. You could vary the reading strategies: silent reading, partner reading, solo reading, choral reading, have the teacher read aloud (not the entire time), etc.

When we read any stories from the textbook, I like to have the audio cd played for them, but I do require them to be following the text with their eyes, no exception. I like this for several reasons:
    - the students hear a professional reader with perfect pronunciation, etc. (I have an accent)
    - they are still engaged in reading, but it's more enjoyable than silent reading
    - easier to monitor the students. If i was involved in looking at the text, because I'm reading, I can't have my eyes on the students to see if they follow along, etc.

I would try to make sure they have a book in front of them, worst case scenario, have 2 students share 1 book.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2012

I think they need access to a copy to look at themselves. Start stocking up through Scholastic and you'll have some nice sets built in no time.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

I agree that they should have a copy available to look at. You may want to consider guided reading, reader's workshop, or literature circles in your situation.

6. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 29, 2012

I observed a class where the teacher was the only one reading and the kids didn't have a copy of the book themselves. Let's just say it was the most boring class I have ever seen. The kids weren't listening, the teacher was asking questions to see if the kids could guess the answer she had in her head. There was no learning and it was horrible as an observer and for the kids. After seeing that, I absolutely believe the kids need a copy of the book in their hands.

The best out loud reading was in a 4th grade class. The teacher was reading the book out loud and all the kids had a copy. She would read 6-10 words then pause. When she paused the kids as a class would say the next word. The whole time she read she was wondering the room listening to make sure kids were saying the next word. She would point to the place on the page if a kid didn't say the next word without skipping a beat. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

But yes, please make sure the kids have a copy of the book.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

I think read-alouds can be useful and appropriate, given certain parameters. Certainly, the students must have access to a written copy of the story. Even if the purpose of the activity is to build listening skills, like in a foreign language class where students need to learn how to decipher accents and phrasing and whatnot, students still need to have access to the written version of the story at some point (like on a second read-through) just to be able to check themselves and verify that they're hearing what they think they're hearing.

8. teachingfran

teachingfran Rookie

Jan 30, 2012

I have the same issue of not having class sets. So, I have been getting the $1.00 books from scholastic and getting up to 10 and I am doing book clubs or literature circles with my classes. One class has 2 groups reading reading one book and 2 groups reading another book. My other section is reading the same book. This way I was able to differentiate and give the lower two groups a lower level of reading to read and discuss. We're just getting started but they seem to love, love, love it! :)

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 30, 2012

When I was in 6th grade, my teacher did a read aloud but it was just for our enjoyment. We were never assessed on it.