Is a calculator really needed for CSET MATH Subtest II?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by zcitibank, Aug 2, 2009.

1. zcitibank

zcitibank New Member

Aug 2, 2009

Hello,

I am planning to take the CSET MATH test. I understand that only certain models of graphing calculator is allowed for subtest II. My question is if the calculator is really needed. Can I take the test without one? For those who have taken the test, did you use the calculator for things other than number crunch during your test? I am trying to see if I can get away by not spending $100 to buy a new calculator.

Thanks in advance for your help.

3. engineerteacher

engineerteacher Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

In my opinion, you can skip the calculator. I never opened mine during the test (and passed). If you are trying to pass all three tests in one sitting, the calculator might help speed your time, but if you aren't crunched for time, then I would say it is completely optional.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2009

The calculator strikes me as the classic item in the category "better to have and not need than need and not have". zcitibank, is there someone from whom you could borrow a calculator?

5. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

See here where the issue is discussed in some depth!

Short answer: it's a smashing idea for the Statistics portion of Subtest II. It is possible that one may do well without recourse to a graphing calculator, but it can vastly ameliorate one's burden!

Jay.
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

6. engineerteacher

engineerteacher Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I'll add that I bought mine used on ebay for about $30 -- I was like you and didn't want to go out and spend big bucks for a new one just for the exam.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

I didn't need to use a calculator on the geometry potion of the test.

I didn't need to use a calculator on the statistics portion of the test, either. But I am glad I had one and used it. Doing chi-square and regression problems by hand is a time consuming and error prone.

8. zcitibank

zcitibank New Member

Aug 4, 2009

Thank you all for the reply

I really appreciate all your replies. Seems it is a good idea to have a calculator in hand just in case.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

Just make sure it is on the approved list, you know how to get it into the modes you want (the proctors reset them to the factory defaults before the test), and you know how to use it do do what you want. I saw a guy wind up with no calculator because he came with one that wasn't on the list even though it was much more basic, I had to show a gal how to get her calculator back into degree mode (defaulted to radian) after the proctors reset it, and a friend of mine was asking me to help him figure out how to use his new calculator to do chi-square in the line going into the testing rooms.