Is 3rd grade a bad time to be entering into a special ed program?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, May 8, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 8, 2015

I've a student who I've been struggling with all year. She's very low in everything, often doesn't seem to know what is going on around her. Socially, she's fine and has her circle of friends, but even in that she's the "ditz" if I may say so.

The trouble is that she is ESL, so everything has been geared toward her struggle being a language barrier. But she's moved up on the ESL chart as of last assessment, can hold her own in English, etc. But the ESL interventions came first.

We've been doing other interventions with her, and nothing really works. So, here at the tail end of 2nd grade, it looks like she is going to be assessed for Special Education.

I think I'm just looking for reassurance here. I hope our school's team can find ways to get her the specific help she needs, but third grade seems a tough time to be at the "catch up" point. I've never had this experience before.

I guess I'm asking if I can reasonably expect her to be okay next year or is she "doomed"?

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 8, 2015

It's always hard to play catch up, and it of course depends on the quality of the special education program she's entering, but it's not too late! Sounds like your concern for the student is getting her the help she needs.

4. bros

bros Phenom

May 8, 2015

It is never too late for remediation (well, there is a point it could be, but 3rd grade is not that point)

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 8, 2015

Thanks. In my mind 3rd grade is this venerable next step of the education program, and I worry about those still struggling with basic reading and math skills entering that grade.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 8, 2015

Third grade is a common grade for identification and services to start. It is a transitional grade where, as the saying goes, students go from "learning to read to reading to learn" and there are increased demands and expectations for independence. Essentially, it becomes a lot clearer who needs remediation and who doesn't.

7. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 8, 2015

There's a district in my state that won't even allow any special education referrals until 3rd grade.
    I'd say she'll be fine.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 8, 2015

We commonly have students referred in Grade 3 or later. When I was working in Special Ed, every year, I tested at least one student who was in grade 6--they had been able to hold their heads barely above water until then, but suddenly hit the wall.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 8, 2015

I just did initial evaluations on 4 children in SIXTH grade.

:whistle:

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 8, 2015

We have initial evaluations on kids in 8th grade. I think people can enter special ed at any age, whether it was because they just kept on getting passed on without being noticed, or something happened developmentally or accidentally that caused a cognitive dysfunction.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 8, 2015

Third grade is probably the most common grade for students to qualify for sped in my school. In fact, we often even wait to test kids until early third grade, instead of late second grade, because it's so much more likely that they will actually qualify (using the discrepancy model). That doesn't mean that we don't intervene earlier. We do. The interventions just aren't considered special education, and the student doesn't have an IEP.

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

May 8, 2015

It is never too late. She will receive modifications and accommodations to help tailor her education to fit her unique needs.
    You can use the documentation that ESL has to show that she has had interventions, and they just didn't make a difference.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 8, 2015

It's very common for SPED services to begin in 3rd grade. No worries.