Irritated...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SarahJ, Apr 13, 2009.

1. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Apr 13, 2009

I've been teaching the 3-4yr old group since Jan (Jan - Dec school year) at one of the best pre-schools in the area. I've got several irritations & just need to vent so bear with me!

- I have a large age range of children in my class. Youngest only turns 3 later this month, eldest already turned 4 early Jan. I don't have a problem with this in general, but I've got some kids still in nappies or potty training in my class and I DON'T have an assistant. Which means I'm changing nappies or constantly going to the toilet with them. I don't have nappy changing facilities in my class and I'm not allowed to use the bathroom. I'm supposed to go to the baby area and change in their facilities - away from my classroom. This doesn't work so I now have a fold up change mat and have told my children to turn the other way and be busy whilst I change nappies - no other way.

- I don't have an assistant, which means that if I leave my classroom for whatever reason the children are unsupervised. This includes taking children to the toilet etc I then get told off coz my class is unsupervised yet told off for being lazy when I request an assistant or even to borrow an assistant when I need one.

- I have several problem children in my class. I've asked for the principals to come in and observe and take notes and see if they think there is a problem. theyve said they woud and never do even when I say it would be great if you could come in this week, any time and they never do.

- My classroom is mouldy. The walls are green. Unfortunately the health services here are not great so no-one actually cares. Unfortunately I and my students are getting sick. I went in during my holidays, with MY cleaning lady who helps me clean my house and whom I pay and together we scrubbed the classroom as best we could with bleach. The principal arrived whilst we were cleaning and made some remarks about 'oh so it really is mould' and ' well good luck with that' etc I've been told not to be stupid, mould doesn't kill anyone, that it can't be that bad, that I'm lazy etc

- Planning - we are supposed to plan & prep in advance, no problems there, its just that we get the theme for next term on the last day of the current term. The holidays are supposed to be a break for us, but we spend the whole time planning and organising. I am also getting married in Sept (YAY, so exciting!!!) during the 1 week we have off and I'm now worried that we won't have the theme before the last day which means I won't get any planning done I get married and go on honeymoon. And yes, they are aware, I spoke to them and they said no problem.

- I only work 7:00am - 13:30 each day. I have an afternoon job as a nanny from 2pm - 6pm every day because I cannot survive on one salary. I'm not the only one holding down 2 jobs. The principal plans parent evenings etc for the afternoons or functions to start at 5 or 6pm and then gets annoyed that I won't be there, will be late or ask to bring my nanny children with me. I had my nanny job before the teaching one and they were aware of the times before they hired me and said it would be no problem. Now I get nagged to leave early (can't, parents work late) or find another job (I like my job!) etc and no, they won't raise my salary :lol: :whistle:

Anyway, I don't know if I'll still be there next year. I'm always looking at other options - is that bad? But I don't know if I'll be terribly sad if my position becomes redundant next year (not too many kids in my class this year (12 in each 3-4yr class) and last year there were 24 in both 3-4yr classes and only 15 children in the 2-3yr class (last year 20).

Oh well, tx for listening to me moan!!

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Apr 13, 2009

I think you have legitimate complaints--I don't think the school you're in is going to change so put up with it has long as it takes you to find something else you like. Always keep your options open. Good luck.

4. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Apr 13, 2009

It felt good just to get it all out there! Tx for listening

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 13, 2009

SarahJ, your working conditions sound unsafe.
    1. How many children do you have? Do you have to have a license to operate in South Africa?
    2. Anyone who changes diapers should have appropriate set up in the room. In the USA, you would not be able to operate a program with out one.
    3. The mold is a real concern.
    Here, we would call in the health department, and Child Care Divison to take care of the above issues.

6. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Apr 14, 2009

The preschool is registered with the edu dept here. No nappy changing facilities in my room nor in the upper school (preschool) Only nappy changing facilities in the baby area (18 - 36 months) which is fenced off from the older area. I've broached the concerns about nappy changing and potty training and my littlies are learning (but its NOT MY JOB to potty train). I don't have a problem with potty training, not at all, its just not in my job description and doesn't work in my classroom!

Nothing I can do re mould and reporting, no-one would actually listen unfortunately and if I did I would be out of a job which I really need right now. So, I'll keep on cleaning it myself till I find another job.