Irritated and Embarrassed!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2012

Clocky! I had one of those. It was SOOOOO annoying. It sounded like R2-D2 on crack, and was VERY loud. Yes, it got me up, but more out of sheer panic and fear that there was an extremely loud shrill robot running around my bedroom.

Being waken up by fear is not nice.

2. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 24, 2012

:yeahthat: It is your responsibility to be there on time. I think that the embarrassment of being late made you more touchy. Your P is doing her job to ensure that it does not happen again. If she let it slide, you would be more likely to be late again. Now that she has opened your eyes that BIG BROTHER is watching and monitoring, you are probably more likely to never let it happen again. As much as you did not like getting that email, it was a lesson learned. And yes, EVERYBODY has days when they make mistakes. Smart people learn from them and do a better job next time which I am sure YOU will do because it bothered you to be called out.:) Have a great year and let this one go!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 24, 2012

With my alarm, I put it not next to my bed, so I have to wake up, realize the alarm is going off, stay awake long enough for my body to realize I am awake, then stand up, make sure my balance is good, and figure out how to walk to my alarm

(can you tell my coordination is horrible when I first wake up?)

4. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Aug 24, 2012

I go to work an hour before I have to be there. An hour leway prevents me from being late if I over-sleep, the alarm doesn't go off, car issues (like flat tires), or bad roads. Besides, being early allows me to leave without guilt at the end of the contract day. Maybe try going in an hour early - it helps me.

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

You were irritated with her for doing her job and not doing the job the way someone who ignored the contract hours did for you before.

Just think, calling the system helps the P keep track of the habitual offenders and gives more clout for those that choose to ignore contract hours and gets caught not calling in the future.

Maybe the P has experienced a school where teachers let those contract hours slide, and she doesn't want that to become common place. Maybe the district has sent a directive to the Ps to clamp down on late arrivals because in some areas it has become rampant and a problem.

But being irritated for her doing her job properly does make it look like she is the problem. Your further explanation of how it was ok before with someone else even moreso makes her look like the bad guy for not letting things slide.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 24, 2012

Fortunately, I don't get dinged for sleeping in, although I now have first-thing-in-the-morning meetings on Thursdays. I also have a cat who is in my face a half hour before I really need to awaken, demanding kibble and attention.

When I was in college, I slept with my alarm clock at my feet and plugs in my ears. My roommate and her boyfriend tended to throw things at me if I slept through my alarm. Hey, they both snored, so of COURSE I needed the earplugs!

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 24, 2012

I'll agree to disagree. Thanks so much for your input! :D

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 24, 2012

You are welcome to borrow my cat...

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

I think some of the "advice" to the OP is insulting.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

Those crack me up!

12. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2012

Those seem so fun now, but I can imagine how annoying they would be in the morning!!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 24, 2012

I hope I wasn't insulting to anyone. Was just trying to empathize. Especially after a long summer, it's TOUGH trying to wake up on time, even if you don't have a sleep disorder.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2012

One of the fly-away disc ones happened to be like $1 at a Black Friday sale we were at last year; it made a great gag gift for my sister. I can't imagine trying to hit a target when I was half asleep--the frustration involved would quickly lead to a broken alarm clock... ;)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

Yeah, as much as I would love to imagine getting Brian one of those, the reality is that neither one of us would get our morning off to a good start.

He's 14. So for now, we'll stick to a combination of his phone alarm and some constructive nagging by me.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

It would take me forever to hit that target! I'd end up unplugging it :lol:

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

I agree. Being late once in a blue moon will happen.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2012

The OP has requested that the thread be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.