irrational fears...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Learner4Life, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2008

I just started watching this show. Love it. :D

2. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

Everyone I work with calls me Monk... Because my food can't touch :whistle:

3. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

:eek: Traffic circles
    :eek: The detector-gates you walk through as you leave a store
    :eek: Potato bugs

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

I can't do this either. When I was younger, I had a fear of a hand crawling up between my bed and the wall and tickling me to death. I think it came from watching The Addam's Family.:blush:

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

I am with you on this one. When I stayed at my grandparent's house while my grandmother was dying, I was just about asleep on the couch when I remembered
    :unsure: wait, I didn't look in the cubby hole under the staircase. So, at 12 midnight, I went downstairs into the basement, through the dark workroom, opened the cubby hole door and looked and looked in every nook and cranny. Even then I wasn't sure I checked all the spaces.:huh:

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

I don't know if it's a fear, but it borders on it because I get so bothered by it.

I can't take it when someone puts Kleenex in their mouth. STRANGE I know. I had a friend once put a sheet of Kleenex between her teeth and squeak it- since then, it's hopeless.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

Me, snakes & spiders
    I will get a chill where I visibly shake for a nano-second

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2008

traffic circles? What about them scares you?

9. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Jun 29, 2008

I don't like getting on/off escalators but I'm not really scared of them. My sister sat down on one when she was a toddler and and cut her rear, not bad, but it can happen.

I have tons of birds, 2 cockatiels inside, tons of chickens, ducks, geese, guineas. Once you know what to do with them, the fear goes away. My son's afraid of the geese. The best thing is don't back down. Stand up to them. If a goose is after you, pick it up by the neck and toss it. It will get your respect. But, if you get hit by their wings, it can leave a bruise.

My biggest fear is of dying and not being as I am today. I know where I'm going and believe in it wholeheartedly, but the not being here as I am scares me quite a bit.

10. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 30, 2008

oh my gosh! I am totally neurotic about this!! A friend actually got me a set of separated plates for my birthday because I make such a big deal out of my food touching!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 30, 2008

I won't be able to count on you to bail me out then. I am not afraid of spiders necessarily (though I don't like them) but I am afraid of snakes.

12. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Jun 30, 2008

I feel like I don't know where I'm supposed to be and don't have enough time to react... do I have time to get into the circle before somebody slams into me?... Will I be forced out of the circle onto the wrong road because I'm in the wrong lane and there's no time to switch? If that happens will I ever make it back to the circle (with my terrible sense of direction)? If I make it back to the circle will I manage to navigate correctly that time?

Don't even get me started on highway signs that tell you which town you'll go to, but not which direction... (a peeve, not a fear...)

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 30, 2008

I am irrationally afraid of bees and tornadoes. I have never seen a tornado, but I am deathly afraid of them. I also run from bees. I remember that I once locked myself in my bedroom at our apartment because a bee flew in the window and I freaked out. My husband got home from work and found me in there-and didn't that dumb bee fly in, land on the floor, and I stepped in it? One flew down the back of my shirt once and stung me. I just hate them.
    I also sleep with my feet tucked in, and I have to have my closet doors closed too!!!

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 30, 2008

I'm SO afraid of rats and mice! Even a few scenes in Ratatouille creeped me out!

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 30, 2008

I know what you mean about the traffic circles!

I am afraid of suspension bridges that seem to go straight up in the air. I also don't like being between a concrete wall and a big truck.

16. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jun 30, 2008

I am now irrationally afraid of slugs. About a month ago, there was a slug on a rug in my kitchen. I bent down to pick it up, thinking it was a piece of food or something. It didn't come up, so I tried to scrape it with my nail. I realized it was a slug and that I was digging my nail into a squishy bug at the same time it oozed something on me. Just thinking about it makes me shudder.

17. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jun 30, 2008

Monkish

I know this is a little off topic, but since it has been brought up on here before... if you haven't ever watched an episode of Monk, I highly recommend it. It airs on USA and there are always reruns playing, but the new season starts in a couple of weeks and for anyone who thinks they have too many irrational fears, Monk will make you feel like you are the bravest person in the world.

18. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 30, 2008

Ok this may seem a little strange...but...I'm afraid of ladders. Not the ladders themselves but being on them. I'm not afraid of heights just being on ladders. I know it seems weird but I was pushed off a ladder when I was little and I just can't climb on a ladder now, not even if its like two foot off the ground...it freaks me out. Also i'm extremely afraid of spiders, so much so I can't even pick up a shoe to kill them...I have to have someone else kill it. I just can't help it. haha!! i know silly...right?

19. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 30, 2008

Haha I just read the pst about food touching and I agree I'm totally neurotic about it also!!! My cousin came to eat dinner with us tonight and when I was fixing my plate she said oh my gosh you're eating with a normal plate? What happened to the seperated plates? Haha thats so funny. But my husband says its absolutely absurd to always eat with the divided plates. I just can't help it...it grosses me out!!! Yuck!!

20. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jun 30, 2008

Another strange food thing...

This isn't really a fear, but I have an odd food habit also. I don't worry about the food touching (as long as it doesn't mix together) but my sometimes bf's family harasses me nonstop because even when I have a plate with three or four things on it, I have to eat one food at a time. Thanksgiving, for example - I will eat all of the corn on my plate before I start on the turkey (or vice versa). My mom and sister do this too, so it wasn't until I got older that I realized that this wasn't normal. :)

21. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

I totally do that too. I'm so OCD its crazy!!! I eat all my vegetables first and I always rotate my plate clockwise eating my meat last. Oh my goodness...I sound like a nut case haha!! I swear I don't need therapy. LOL!

22. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 1, 2008

Spiders totally freak me out - I think it's the multiple legs.
    As far as food, I don't like to eat covered meat. Let me clarify: gravies or sauces on top of steak or chicken, etc. I have to inspect it to make sure I'm not biting into fat. One wrong bite and my appetite is a goner!
    Also, because of too many horror movies, I'm scared that while driving alone at night on a back road, someone will step out in front of me and I'll hit them and they'll stick to my windshield. Crazy - I know.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2008

I have a lot of fears...

Actually, just last night I had a pretty signigicant panic attack. My husband goes in to work at midnight and comes home at either eight the next morning or noon. I thought I would hate this schedule but it works well, and we still spend as much time together as the average couple because I don't go to sleep until really late and he wakes up when I get home from work, usually around five or six. Obviously, though, we don't get to sleep together during the week. Okay, well...

Most of the time I am fine alone. But sometimes my imagination runs wild, like it did last night. We live somewhat in the country, pretty isolated, and to be honest the house is probably a little too big because there are rooms we don't go in often and I think of all the places someone can hide...just like week I though we could have a "squater" living here, but that's a different story. Okay, so it was probably 2:00 or so in the morning and I am watching TV and decide to go to the office to get online, and once I'm in here I hear a sound in the kitchen. So, I run to the living room to get in my "safe corner" where I can see everything. I sit there a while and decide it was probably the fridge, so I go back to the office. Two minutes later I hear another loud sound and I lost it. I called my husband and just started bawling my eyes out. He asks me if I want him to come home (because I've had him do that before, just to check out the house and then go back to work) but I say no that I will stay in the office closet all night. :unsure: I just cry and cry until I can't really breathe, and after a good while he convinces me to go back to the living room with him on the line because it is just the floors adjusting to the lowering temperature outside...which, I know now he's right but in the moment I'm not rational. (He just bought me a little stuffed puppy for my birthday and remembered it was by the computer, so he told me to take that with me...isn't that cute?) So, I finally get in the living room but I sit in the corner with the cordless, my cell phone in case "they" cut the phone line, and a flashlight in case "they" turn off the electcity until I decide I can safely go to bed a couple hours later.

I'm also afraid of needles and veins, and I do this [I'm doing it right now because I'm talking about it] thing with my wrists when I think about this topic where I curl my wrists in, and then I take my thumb knuckle and press down all the way around my lips. It grosses me out...I'm done with this topic!

I am afraid of the dark (as you might have guessed).

I am afraid of spiders being on me.

I'm afraid of having a car accident and I tense up when I meet someone in oncoming traffic (if I'm going say 55 mph or higher).

Someone else mentioned traffic circles, and that made me feel so much better because I have only went around the town square once, and my husband made me. I panic.

Again, someone else mentioned inspecting meat - I ALWAYS do this. I am not a big meat fan, but for example, I would NEVER eat pulled BBQ chicken out somewhere because I know they don't take care to put only the good pieces in. When I make it I would never put a piece in that has a red little squiggly.

Again, someone else mentiond eating habits... I always eat one side dish at a time and rotate my plate. It drives my husband crazy, but I like to save the best for last. So, if I'm at Cracker Barrel, for example, I would eat the grilled chicked breast strips first, then eat my mashed potatoes and gravy, then the dumplins, and finally the macaroni! I am very ritualistic when it comes to food. When I eat candy like Skittles or M&Ms and I eat one color at a time, and again save the best for last.

I am VERY afraid of knives. We do not have a knife in the house. I would never use one. When I was 15 I worked at fast food place and one of the guys was playing around with everyone (it was late...that's what we did because we had so little business), but he took this HUGE knife and put it up to my throat and asked, "Do you trust me?" NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!

I am also NOT a fan of the escalator. My husband and I were at ****'s Sporting Goods store [I just noticed it censored the store!] a couple of months ago and he wanted to go to the upper floor via escalator and said I would just stay where I was. He knew it was because of the escaltor, and he actually tried to PULL me on! Doesn't he think that will help or cure me? Geeze.

I like elevators, though. I am, however, afraid of getting stuck in one. If the door hesitates to open I start to panic...I did that just the last week of school. I was in it with a couple of my students moving chairs for a meeting and they had a good laugh when my eyes got really big and I inhaled sharply.

I also refuse to walk over one of those storm grates...it seems so reasonable to think it could snap and I would fall in, seriously! Don't you think?

I don't like bridges. When I was younger I remember going to Kentucky Kingdom (amusement park) and having to walk over a short bridge to get to the other side of the park. To make it even worse, cars are below! I took me SO long to cross it because people would walk by me so fast and I was afraid it was going to push me over into the traffic. (Although I know that really couldn't happen).

And now that it's happened a couple of times recently, I hate going under overpasses because it might collapse on me.

But, mainly I am afraid of the dark and who is lurking in it...I loved that someone else said they run to kitchen and back because I do that! In fact, this whole thread has made me feel better. Honestly, though, I am pretty darn normal...I may be a little weird but I am NOT a weirdo...promise! :)

***How could I forget! I don't like water. I don't like to get my face wet...washing it isn't a problem, but I do not face the shower head and I wouldn't get my face wet, say, by running through a sprinkler. Most importantly, I will not go under water. The last time I was under water I was in the sixth grade and that was when I was baptized.***

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  24. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

I have a fear of bats. When I was a little girl my aunt told me the story of a friend that knew a friend that knew a friend that had long beautiful hair and when she was walking one night outside a bat flew in her hair. They had to cut it out! I think everyone has heard this story and it may not be true but bats flying around me at night scares me.

25. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2008

Are we crazy or what??? No-one's even mentioned being afraid of our students; and boy, are there an awful lot of scary happenings there! :D

26. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

omg!!! I have that fear too!!!!! I truly am afraid someone/thing is going to grab me - for the same reason, I can't lay close to the edge - have to be like 8-12 inches inward.....

27. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Me too!!!! My 3 year old can't understand why when he brings me a frog I go bizerk and run........lol