Irrational Childhood Fears

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Sep 15, 2012.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

Just for fun!

Someone posted a picture of a bird standing on one leg, and it triggered (a now funny) memory.

I have always had a fear of birds. I have no idea why, but I do to this day. I want nothing to do with them. Keep them at a safe distance.

When I was younger, we were at the beach (Lake Huron), and there were seagulls standing on 1 leg. I remember refusing to go in the water because I was scared the leg that 'fell off' was in the water and would touch me! :rofl: I was probably 5ish, and I did not get in the water the entire weekend! I was so afraid that I was going to find the other leg!! :lol:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

Mine involves birds as well, giraffe! I love looking at them, but I go into a bit of a panic if there are birds flying anywhere near my head. I'm not sure, but it may have started when I was little and had quite a fright in the chicken house on my uncle's farm when the chickens all started flapping around me when I went in.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 15, 2012

I was always terrified our car would break in half and my parents would just drive off without me!

I also had a fear of bridges. I'm still not overly fond of them!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

dgp~mine is similiar. Mine has to do with those tunnels that you drive through. I was always scared to drive under them because I was sure they would collapse on us and we would either die or we would be stuck.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

I can't have my feet uncovered when I'm in bed. I have to have my feet under the covers. I usually don't sleep with any blankets except in the winter, but my feet are under the covers all year. I also can't open the drain if I'm sitting in the bathtub.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 15, 2012

I'm sure I had one, but I can't remember what it was. My 3 year old, though, is terrified of the vaccuum!

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 15, 2012

Ima Teacher, I'm the same way. I have to have some weight on me while I sleep.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 15, 2012

that's funny, I have this, too. But it's not from childhood, I had a cat when I was about 20 something and she would always hunt at night, and would pounce on me feet. Normally I was laying on my back, so my feet were upright, the toes were prime target. If had covers on, it was just scary, but if I didn't, I really felt the claws. 15 years later, I still need my feet covered :)

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

I just thought of another one. It is not a memory, but a story my mom used to tell (and still will on occasion).

I was an only child for the first 5 years of my life with a SAHM. I went and had professional pictures done all the time. (Every month on the 26th for the first 2 years of my life, and several times a year after that.) The majority of the time they were done at Olan Mills. Think back to the early to mid 80s. Pictures had that 'fog' effect. I would cry when I had to get my picture taken because I didn't want to get my feet/shoes dirty! I was quite the girly-girl!

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 15, 2012

My biggest fear was the edges of the pillow cases and covers.
    In my country, the pillow cases actually have buttons on the opening. I COULDN'T stand the feeling of that side and the buttons on my face. So I always had to position my pillow so that the opening was on the bottom, not on the side or on the top, because if i was tossing and turning I could end up touching it. Ow, gross :)
    The same thing with the blankets. We actually had a feather casing, and then used a casing over that, with the same type of opening. The had to be on the bottom, and I would make sure that my feet were way covered, so that it couldn't touch me. So maybe the feet-covering is from my childhood (see my post above)

Now we don't have buttons on pillow cases here, and it's always on the side because the pillow are rectangle, but I have to make sure it never ever touches my face :)

so weird.

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 15, 2012

That monkey thing that walks around Casa Bonita. That thing absolutely freaked me out! She or He would try and give me those chocolate coin things. No dice, Buddy. Keep on walking. Just thinking about it gives me the creeps! :p

I *was* raised in a very strict, borderline cult, religion that always preached the end of the world was soon and that children could be separated from their parents during that time. So, needless to say I was pretty freaked out at that prospect. One of the religion's literature publications had a picture of the end of the world where the sun was ominously shining through dark clouds. There was a thunderstorm one day that had clouds with the sun shining through similar to the picture on the publication. I was so freaked out that I made myself sick!!!!

Beth

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

I take it you guys are VERY glad you didn't grow up on Long Island??

Once we cross the Throg's Neck Bridge or the Queens-Midtown tunnel, we know we're home.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2012

I was always afraid Santa would get shot down over Vietnam.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

How very awful,that particular juxtaposition. I'm happy it never occurred to me.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2012

I'm still terrified of snakes. And there's this really big racer that likes to sun itself outside of my front door. My cat likes to stalk it. YUCK.

I'm better about bridges. As a child, I'd get onto the floor board and cover my eyes every time. When I started driving, I swore I'd never drive over one... until I realized that meant I'd never go to the beach or the next town. Where I live now, I have to drive over a bridge every day. But I still have a teensy fear that some idiot will hit me and send me over the side.

And, of course, my completely irrational fear that my American Doll's eyes followed me around the room.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

I did this, too! I eventually got over the one in my hometown because I had to drive over it every day once I went to college.
    However, when I was 21 I went to Orlando with my sister. We drove over to Cocoa Beach for the day. I forgot that you have to cross the Intercoastal Waterway, and I was almost hyperventilating while driving over it. My sister was only 16 so she couldn't drive the rental car.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2012

:lol: I have to cross three bridges to get to the beach. Unless I go straight from work. Then it's four. I freak out on a daily basis!

But one of the worst is the bridge by the Disney Beach Resort. You feel like you're going straight up and down. I hated it every time my quintet was booked to play a wedding there.

19. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Sep 15, 2012

When I was little I could NOT have me feet on the floor if someone else was running the vacuum in the same room. I was perfectly fine if I was running the vacuum, or if the vacuum was somewhere else other than my house. I would either jump up on a chair or run out of the room. It wasn't the noise...I think I was afraid my toes would get sucked up into it .

And I have to admit. I have to fight the urge to scurry away every time someone runs a vacuum in my house. My dad thinks this is hilarious and will STILL chase me with the vacuum.

When I was about 6, I was terrified to look my dog in the eyes. I think someone once told me if you look a dog in the eyes for more than five seconds the dog will attack. FREAKED ME OUT. I was actually scared to be in a room alone with the dog. No problem at all with dogs now though. I love them.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

You know the scene in the Wizard of Oz with the flying monkeys?? It TERRIFIED me.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

I still never hang a foot over the edge of the bed. That's straight up scary! :)

My biggest fear as a child was in my sideroom (in older homes, the upstairs closet-like rooms in a bedroom that have angled ceilings). This was in our old farmhouse where my papaw lived as a child, so needless to say a lot of people lived in the house over the years and many interesting things were still in those siderooms. There was a musical drum in there that had very disturbing conehead people/aliens/? on the top. I would think I heard them coming to life in the sideroom and playing the drums. For whatever reason, I feared they would hurt me and take me back to their homeland. Eventually I discovered it wasn't a drum at all, but a candy container (think Valentines box), though I'm still not sure about the strage characters. Why? I was told it had belonged to my aunt who is an artist and a little different, so maybe she was just taken by the strangeness of it.

I was also terrified of those brown hard-shelled bugs that are drawn to lights at night. Harmless. But... As children we slept together in the floor in front of a box fan. I remember one of those bugs flying around the room then getting sucked into the fan, chopped up a bit, and then thrown into my very long hair. That really stuck with me.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

Now that's it's cooled down, I've got the windows open again. My bathroom window sill--between the screen and window--is FULL of those stupid bugs! My solution? I just shut the window and walked away.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2012

I also need my feet under the covers. As a kid, I felt like someone might sneak into my room or hide under my bed and grab my feet. I felt safer under the covers. But I didn't grow out of it! When my husband was deployed I would turn off the bedroom lights and then run and jump under the covers!

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 15, 2012

When I was a child, I had to have the closet light on with the door cracked a little or a nightlight. After my husband died, I slept with a lamp on or the bathroom light on for about six months.

I have to have my feet covered as well, but that has been a constant.

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2012

I can't sleep if the bedroom door is closed. I feel trapped or something, not sure. Closed spaces can cause me to panic. I'm never able to go into the mazes at fairs, etc. because I panic. Not sure where I get this from.
    I'm insanely afraid of snakes. One of you mentioned a snake sunning on your front steps? ARe you kidding me? Where do you live? I could never survive that!

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2012

All of these started with forbidden peeks into movies I wasn't supposed to see...

If I come into your home and your shower curtain is pulled all the way hiding the tub, I open them. (Then I fix it before I leave).

I have to check the toilet before I sit down and I might have to peek during just to be sure.

I definitely check under my car before approaching it, especially at night and inside my car before opening the door.

I don't like snakes either.

Spiders are okay though because they are all named Fred and they are our friends. (But not the kind of friends we play with).

27. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 16, 2012

I hate snakes.

As a child, my bedroom closet had an attic hatch. I thought Laurel and Hardy lived up there and watched me sleep.

Pirates lived under my bed. I could get to the bathroom and back in the middle of the night without touching the floor (the pirates would get me). This included walking on furniture and swinging on the door.

The hatrack in our hallway looked like Darth Vader when lighted from behind. So, Darth Vader lived in my hallway. I could see it if my bedroom door was open.

No wonder I had a hard time falling asleep as a kid!

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2012

I get nervous driving across bridges, but it's never stopped me. When we go to visit Lauren, we have a choice of a bridge or a tunnel crossing the border. We usually use the tunnel because the crossing is much quicker and I never thought twice about it. During the summer, there were bomb treats that closed each one of those, on separate days, about a week apart. Every time we drive through the tunnel now, I think about it.

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 16, 2012

I just remembered another--snakes coming up through the toilet and biting me :lol:

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 16, 2012

I can't think of any irrational fears I had as a child. Snakes, spiders, & things of that nature are rational to me. People have a good reason to be afraid of them...maybe not coming up through a toilet or something, but of the animal itself.

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2012

My sister had a recurring nightmare that there was a witch who lived in the toilets at Wal-Mart and would try to suck her down. To this day she refuses to use the restroom there!

I also strongly dislike birds. They have always creeped me out; I have no idea why.

I've never liked scary movies, etc. When I was about 8, we were at my relatives' strawberry farm. Their son, who was in high school, had set up the barn as a haunted house. I think my parents figured it couldn't have been that scary if he did it himself, so they took my brother and I through it. I was terrified, and I had to sleep with my closet door open for months. Except that in the closet I had a big plastic tub with clothes laying on top. At night, it looked like a cauldron with a witch coming out the top. Every night I expected her to come to life and eat me...

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2012

That probably came from a movie. That's when I started looking. Lol.

33. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 16, 2012

I think it came from one of those alligators in the sewers movie clips.

34. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 16, 2012

As a child I was terrified of cover girl models. When I passed the magazine racks I thought those huge teeth were an indication of vampire tendencies and they lived in my closet waiting to attack. Then again, I was scared of everything. There was a street musician who had a very distinct look. To this day I love his music (own one of his cd) but as a kid I was positive that he ran this coven of vampire women.

35. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 16, 2012

When the movie Alien was showing in my country I was about 10-12. (yeaaars after it was made). I think we could see it at home, but my mom didn't let me see it. I still heard / saw bits and pieces but didn't understand how the alien ended up in the characters' stomach. My mom didn't want to tell me the truth (too gross) so she said they were eating cabbage or lettuce and there was a bug in it they swallowed.
    For years I was looking twice at my lettuce / cabbage to make sure no bugs got in it.
    I don't have this fear, but even now I remember this. It's funny how one little comment can stay with us for decades.

36. smalltowngal

Sep 16, 2012

I have never heard of this!

37. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 16, 2012

I have two friends who had snakes come up through the pipes. No biting though.

38. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 16, 2012

I was a weird kid. I must have seen a movie with pretty vampires in it or maybe just vampires of any sort and then when I saw those BIG smiles on the magazine covers I just put them together. (vampires have big teeth magazine cover girls have big teeth) The street musician was a blind man who wore a very unique hat with horns of some sort. I seem to recall he wore a cape too. I grew up in NYC in the 60s/70s. lots to activate a child's imagination!

39. smalltowngal

Sep 16, 2012

Of course now vampires are all the hype and no ones really scared of them because they sparkle and want to mainstream with humans. ;)

40. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2012

I grew up near San Francisco, where there are VERY steep streets. I grew up having nightmares of slipping down the sidewalks (my shoes losing their grip). I thought it was an irrational fear until I was around 40 years old. I went back to SF for a wedding. I was walking down a VERY streep sidewalk and, lo and behold, my shoes lost their grip and I slipped! I bet that, when I was too young to remember, I really did slip on a steep SF sidewalk, and that was the trigger for my "irrational" fear.