Ironing: Do you do it?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by TeacherShelly, Jul 16, 2007.

?

Ironing: Do you do it?

1. Nope. Never.

18 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Nope. Well, except for Formal occasions.

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. Yep. I like to wear freshly ironed clothes to school.

20 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Yep. I iron everything. Even bed sheets!

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

I have a problem with ironing. It seems like an old-fashioned chore. In other words, unless something is truly wadded-looking and I'm going somewhere formal, I don't iron anything!

Also, I don't even think people notice that my clothes are not crisp. Do you notice when someone doesn't iron on a regular basis?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

I mist it with water and toss it in the dryer while I go do other stuff... eat breakfast, brush teeth, etc.

I used to by that Downy Wrinkle release but it was cheaper to just use water in a bottle and mist it lightly, toss and tumble! Now I have a couple of shirts that require ironing... I RARELY WEAR THEM!

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I HATE ironing, but I do it for myself and my hubby almost everyday...almost...

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I notice when peole are wrinkly...It's not terribly professional...

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I have my husband do it if it is nessessary.....it sounds horrible, but I rather send it to the cleaner than iron it!! A waste of money, I know!!

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Never. I throw everything in the dryer for a few minutes before I wear it; that usually does the trick.
    If something HAS to be ironed, that's my bf's chore. He is much better at it than I am.

My grandma irons underwear, towels, everything. It drives her crazy that I don't. She's actually the reason I don't though, she would get so annoyed trying to teach me that I never really learned.

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

I HATE IRONING!!!! I try to buy clothes that do not require a lot of ironing. I have to say that I am spoiled because my mom still irons for me when she irons her clothes. Can't complain!!

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I have several skirts that the bottom hem curls up. I used to iron those, but a friend recently told me that if you take a wet washcloth and smooth it over the hems, that works too. I recently tried it, and it really does work! I may never iron again!

10. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I hate ironing, but, in order for my husband to look presentable, I have to iron most of his work clothes. I usually just put it aside for several weeks and then waste a Sunday evening catching up. I gripe and complain the whole time:D !

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

It makes me so mad when I wear a freshly ironed shirt, get in the car, and between the seatbelt, the heat and humidity it is completely wrinkled by the time I get to school!

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I buy Wash and Wear clothes for everyone! Maybe once a month I MIGHT have to iron something.

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

we have a clothes steamer instead of an iron...we love it. dh does his own clothes and I do mine pretty much. Both of us think irons are evil.

14. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I know exactly what you mean.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

I like my clothes ironed. I don't like clothes that look like I slept in them. I know that some types of fabrics, especially linen, wrinkles easily, but you can tell what's new and what was never ironed.

DH does all the housework, which includes all the ironing. I've got one pleated skirt that he can't master, but he irons everything else.

16. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jul 16, 2007

i only iron if we have some of that "starch spray" like magic sizing in the house- cuts ironing time at least in half! if we don't i won't even attempt it.

17. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I have an older lady as my housekeeper and she loves to iron... so I let her. I do think it's an old fashion thing to do. If she wasn't so eager to do it for me I would probably do the dryer dewrinkle technique!

18. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

My dad was in the Army so growing up we always had perfectly pressed clothes, so now I have to iron or it just doesn't look right for me.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

DH and I make good money between us, but we decided a while back that we'd rather live in a smaller home and splurge on luxuries. So we eat out at least twice a week, we pay to have our yard done, we pay to have our house cleaned, and we pay to have our "work" clothes picked up, dry cleaned and delivered twice a week. I call the Men's Warehouse guy my Santa Claus. He makes me very happy. :)

20. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

I can usually get away with Downy Wrinkle Releasing most everything though. :)
    (Although, after reading SpecialPreskoo's post, I may start using just plain water to see how it turns out!)

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Oh, Lordie, I can't believe that I am the only one who chose I iron everything! Your poll wasn't fair! I have a love/hate relationship with ironing. It hurts my back and legs, and takes forever (probably partly because I do it in front of the tv). However, it never fails that natural fibers (cotton, linen, etc.) wrinkle, and I have been listening to Stacy and Clinton too long! I do try to purchase wash and wear things, but even they need occasional ironing! I wish I had a steamer or one of those flat ironing table thingies. I also hate it when I get into the car and my clothing and my hair look like I've been put through a wringer! I do iron my sheets in the winter time, though -- nothing feels or smells as nice!

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

I dont iron, my mom loves to, so she does mine! However I did iron something yesterday b/c they were messy looking and wanted to wear them out.

23. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 16, 2007

I have 4 irons. One for each time I've needed to iron something in the past 20 years. Each time it had been so long since I ironed that I couldn't even find the iron and went out and bought another one. Is that pathetic, or what?

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

LOL!

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

iron is sitting in same spot since November

My iron is sitting on floor, on mini ironing board from kids' college dorm!

Has been sitting there since November, when she moved!

I used to iron, but I admit I hated it. I ironed more when I sewed. It makes clothes look better. I think I only liked to iron when it was for my dad and ex. Wash, dry, iron. Sheesh!

Daughter ticked me off because when she came, she left the thing on all day! I hated that. claimed it wouldn't do anything. I asked her if she ever heard of the word fire! She states she left it plugged in all the time in her campus apt. Needless to say, she has her own place now!

Being in preschool, I have really let myself go..clothes-wise. I am comfortable in in khaki pants, or sweats and a t-shirt. Now that I am going back in to management, (for real this time), I will attempt to look more business like. I have my dress polyester pants, and a few blouses that I will take to cleaners. Get this, if you say it is a blouse, it cost $4, but if you say it is a shirt, it is $2!!!

that was a real issue working in pre-k. I would try to dress halfway decent, and end up getting paint and marker on my good clothes. Because I was supposed to do paperwork, and ended up in class all day. I got tons of aprons, smocks, and even a few scrub shirts. Doesn't matter, playdough gets stuck in my shoes too!

Funny, I can type all night on AtoZ, but iron two blouses, and arms started getting tired. Just in my head???

26. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2007

I once had a friend who ironed her underwear, towels (including kitchen, bedsheets, you name it. I wonder if she had children and if that habit continues:eek:

27. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

Since I don't put many things in the dryer (cotton shrinks) I have to iron them. I really don't mind because it makes you look more professional. I also iron tee shirts my sons wear. They notice!

28. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I scanned the responses and was delighted to find not one good argument in support of ironing. I was ready to argue for global warming. Does anyone now days really believe that ironing makes them look better?
    My family does not even use the drier. For the past 13 to 14 years, we have had ropes from wall to wall in various rooms, even the living room, to hang laundry to dry. We walk around under the laundry. This method also helps to keep moisture in the air, especially in the winter when the heater dries the air out so much.
    When I think what if all the people in the world used driers, hair driers, hot water heaters, cars for frivolous things, I think we will surely run out of energy or pollute or burn up the earth. I hope I am wrong and I hope using this laptop computer is not taking up to much energy. I want Rush to be right, I really do. And now that brings us to the war in Iraq…….

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

nobody notices wrinkles in preschool! too much paint, ketchup, and snot buggers, to cover them up!

life would be a whole lot different if I was still a secretary...

30. mediha

mediha Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I hate ironing.....what a big problem for me!!!
    I iron only for formal occaisons. I can't stand doing it. Boring and terrible.

31. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I agree, in this day and age I don't think ironing my clothes makes me look better, I KNOW that ironing my clothes makes me look better. It's not a big deal to me.

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

That's why I don't iron...you spend all that time to get the wrinkles out & as soon as you get in the car GONE!!! All that time for NOTHING!!! I do hang hubby's clothes out to dry, try to get to them once the washers stopped. If they are wrinkled I'll pop them in with the clothes that are just damp to get the wrinkles out, remove the shirt & hang right away. Or my grandma says she loves to iron so we have brought a few shirts to her!! I KNOW SPOILED!!!

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

Here's a good reason not to iron . . . it's dangerous.

My mom had a seizure while she was ironing . . . and home alone. She ended up with two 6 to 7 inch long, 2-3 inch wide third degree burns, four second degree burns, and about 10 first degree burns. She doesn't remember any of it. She burned herself the Saturday before Mother's Day, and the third degree burns still aren't healed.

She's under doctor's orders not to iron unless somebody is sitting with her. She does her ironing in Dad's den now.

She said that she always knew ironing could kill you. LOL

34. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 17, 2007

Ima Teacher, so sorry to hear about your mom getting burned.

as far as the skirt hems that roll up, also use a curling iron.

I'm sure my DH would love for me to iron, but he works in a machine shop...... who is he going to impress?? I try to hang up his shirts right out of the dryer.

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

Ima Teacher sorry about your mom as well... BUT now I can put it on the Shouldn't Iron while home alone list!!!

OMGosh...I was thinking that & forgot to post it!!! Remember the hems or if my hubby has on a polo shirt & the collar points won't go down I did that!!! He thought I was crazy the first time I did that to his shirt!!!

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

wow, how sad! As I told you. my kid used to leave the iron plugged, and sometimes it was still on! I know things that are plugged in too long are accidents waiting to happen.

they need gift certificates to the cleaners! :sorry:

37. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

How did I miss this thread! I finally broke down 3 years ago and bought an iron but did not feel like wasting my money on an ironing board. I rarely iron and iron on the floor.

38. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

I do not iron unless something is noticably wrinkled or "odd" looking. My brother in law, who is use to living under Navy rules, irons everything...even his underwear.

39. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

I use the floor too! I even have an ironing board, but I am too lazy to drag the thing out of the closet.:eek:

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

ooh, that is bad on your knees...sitting with your leg crossed, using this little on-the-table dorm ironing board! Or stooped over on the dining room table! bad on your back!!!

41. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

Me too.
    Oh my goodness.