iPods for Classroom Use

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsmo, Jul 24, 2007.

1. mrsmo

mrsmo Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I am planning to use my ipod in the classroom this year. Anyone else out there who've been using theirs?. Any tips to lend? What's on your ipod? I've been looking at all kinds of children's music and uploading my CDs. I am hoping to organize my music so that it is more accessible and ready to go!

Thanks a ton!

3. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I don't have an iPod but I do have an inexpensive mp3 player. I definitely plan on using it. I will mostly put on classical/instrumental music to use various times during the day.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2007

I don't use my iPod, but I use iTunes all the time.

I just made a mix, and played it at summer school today. It was a hit. I played it at snack time, and at the end of the day. I posted about this before, but here is what it has so far...

Beatles- Hello, Goodbye and Yellow Submarine
    R.E.M.- Stand, and Shiny, Happy People
    Bjork- It's oh so Quiet
    The Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robot
    Weezer- Island in the Sun
    Presidents of the USA- Dune Buggy (really cute song)
    Bangles- Walk Like An Egyptian
    The White Stripes- We're going to be friends (the CUTEST song for kids!!!)

I am looking for songs for each day of the week on iTunes. So far, I only have Monday, Monday and Ruby Tuesday... I need tips on this too!

I kind of hate a lot of kid music, and my students would agree. One kid in my summer class today said that her teacher last year played "preschool" music and they would have nursery rhymes in their heads all the time (this was a 2nd grader.) I would not do that to my students.. but I also won't play anything I don't like myself!

I burned the CD's, and also have made a playlist for my computer, so I can keep adding to it, and making more CD's. I had a mix on my old computer but they are all WMA files. I am going to have to get that one burned onto a CD before school starts, which means hooking up the old computer.

When they come in the morning I play classical music, and have a 15 minute down time after lunch where they can read or write and play classical then as well. Another thing I have done is download books. In the down time after lunch, and play soft music at this time, but last year also played two books. It was great. During work times, I tend not to play any music.

5. mrsmo

mrsmo Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I love REM's song...I remember seeing them on Sesame Street when my daughter was little!

I agree! Some of the children's songs are sorta dorky!

Thanks for including your favorites : )

6. nytwinbee

nytwinbee Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

books on cd

I put the books on CD in an MP3 player, and I also have them in itunes. So that is essentially my listening center. I also have put some songs that teach phonics, classical music, and some regular music the student will enjoy.

In addition, I have a little set of speakers, that I can connect to the mp3 player, and I we can all listen to the music.

If you really want to get adventurous you can have the students record themselves, then they can listen to their recording. I did not do that last year, but I plan to do that this year.

There are so many things you can do with an MP3 player/Ipod.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

I think it's a great idea! Just remember to keep an eye on the thing. They're small and easy for kids to snatch when you're not looking.

8. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 25, 2007

With mye first class (1. to 3. in one group), I used classical music. They hated it at first, but after a little while they loved it and all the students were able to recognise the pieces and name composers and title of ten of them at the end of term. (Which I put as a minimum)
    I picked out some of the most famous pieces from the most famous composers (having the Mozart effect in mind) and took it from there.

I am planning to do this again next year!

9. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 25, 2007

One of my mentor teachers used to play Jack Johnson in her 2nd grade classroom. It was the cd he made from Curious George. They LOVED it,and so did we.

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

Yes, I love my ipod in the classroom and couldn't function without it! Our district gave them to all ESL teachers. I don't know what grade you teach, but I teach ESL pre-k and it's a necessity because I use music constantly throughout the day for everything. I have a page on my website about using iPods in the classroom: vanna's iPod page
    We also received a grant for each Pre-K class to get iPod shuffles for the kids to take home each night. We will record ourselves reading stories and singing songs for language development (ESL)

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

The facilitator of a workshop I attended earlier this summer used iPods extensively in his grade 7 classroom. He uploaded novels and the students listened to them in class and were able to sign them out to take home. The students also created podcasts of review notes for tests, etc. that were uploaded to the iPods. He presented some really exciting ideas--now I just need to find out how to get the money!:confused:

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 25, 2007

13. weno88

weno88 Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I'll be using my ipod during class this year. I might have to get a cheaper one just for school use since mine is quite full and has some explicit lyrics. I intend to just put Spanish language music, audio books, and maybe podcasts on it.

14. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I think I'm going to use some of that music too. My theme is monkeys so it will work great!

15. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I keep my audio books, music, and dvds-ripped-to-ipod on mine. Then I don't need to keep track of a bunch of CDs and DVDs. I just plop mine in the cradle which is attached to my overhead speakers and projector and choose what to play. IT's PERFECT.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

So you know, vannapk: the teach42 link on your page doesn't work. You've got some interesting stuff there, though...