iPod or MP3 player?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 5, 2013

I'm usually on top of the average technology, but this always tripped me up. I really don't get what the big deal is about the iPods. I had one for a few years and it just basically disappeared, can't find it. I don't want to buy another one at $200-250, because I'm seeing MP3 players for as low as $20 and they'll basically do what I need them for. But I just wants to check with ya'll :)

Basically all I need is a device that I can use while I'm at the gym or going for a jog. That's it. I want to be able to create playlists though. A few years ago first I bought an mp3 player but they didn't have playlists back then (or those were the ones I saw), so I returned it and got an iPod. But now it seems like they have them.

I don't like iPods because they can be connected to only one computer, so they're not acting as a flashdrive or external hard drive that you could use to store files and transport them. So in that sense they're completely useless. The cheapest one is still $199, so I just don't understand the value. I did see iPods for $50 (I forget the name, they're very tiny) but the problem is that they don't have playlists either. They will play the songs but you can't decide in what order. So that wouldn't work.

So someone please tell me if I'm missing something important here.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2013

iPods are mp3 players. They also do a lot of other things, including holding files just like any USB-type flash drive.

I think it's the iPod Shuffle that's the small $50 one. I have one myself. Although you can't edit the playlist while you're using it (there is no screen to see the songs), you can most definitely edit the playlist before you import it to the iPod. You can listen to the songs either in the order that they appear in your playlist or on random "shuffle" mode. You can also skip forwards and backwards between songs using the buttons.

I really enjoy my iPod, although I use it infrequently these days since I have an iPhone that does the same thing.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 5, 2013

I have both an iPod Touch and an MP3 player. The MP3 player is an RCA that was about $25. It has a radio, which I love. I also make playlists by uploading songs in particular orders and folders.

I had an iPod shuffle, but I didn't like not having a screen. I didn't keep it long.

The iPod touch is so much more than an MP3 player, which is why I love it. However, if I just want my music, the MP3 player is just fine.

My MP3 player is for when I go for walks or mow my yard. The iPod is for when I want music and will likely need something else, too.

I don't understand the one computer, though. My iPod syncs to both my desktop and my laptop with no issues.

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Rookie

Jan 5, 2013

Does your phone serve as a music player as well? That might be the answer, rather than add another appliance.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 5, 2013

Maybe the 'one computer' thing has changed, but this is what I meant by it. The ipod (at least 4-5 years ago that how it was) could only synch to one person's computer. It was really weird, I could synch it to 2 of my laptops (I got a new one, so synched it to the second one with no problem), but I had a friend who let me borrow his ipod, said there were 500 songs in it, I'd probably like them, I can transfer them to my computer. When I plugged it in my laptop, I could listen to it, every thing was fine, it looked like I saved them all, but as soon as I disconnected it, the songs disappeared. I messed with it for a week, tried different ways of saving, looked at every possibility, tried another ipod as well, and I was told that you can't have 2 different ipods connect to a laptop and share. They explained it, it made sense, but didn't sound right at the same time. So I haven't been a fan of ipods since then.

I just need music. I'm trying to go jogging every morning / night or whenever I can, and I know I will do a lot more with music. I'm much more motivated to keep going. So mainly that what I need it for, and for the gym, so I don't want to spend $200. I want to be able to pick which playlist I want to listen though, and I don't think ipod shuffle does that.

I don't want to use my phone, it's big (Blackberry Torch), and I don't even want a phone call during workout :) My workouts, walks and jogs are the only times (besides work) when I'm without my phone, and I'd like to keep that :)

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2013

Couldn't you try one of those cheap MP3 to see if you like it. I know we've gotten a few that were like $10 or under...really small and didn't hold tons of songs...but good enough to go for a walk or something...

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2013

My dad bought me a Zune a few years back and it was awesome. This year for Christmas he got me an iPod touch, which I'll be honest with you, I've used for everything except music! :lol: What an awesome piece of technology! I think I've just been living in the past, it's the first touch screen object I've owned, and the first thing that's not my computer that can connect to internet. Plus it takes pictures! I'm in love :D

But, my Zune worked great for music.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2013

Whatever you decide to pick is the one you already know MOST about, so choose wisely. The "I" thise, "I" that trip is GREAT, BUT then you finally realize that other things can do the exact same things, OR maybe even better.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1