ipod binder....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by buck8teacher, May 29, 2009.

1. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 29, 2009

Hi guys! Just starting to get somethings squared away for planning for next year. This year I did STAR Binders. Love the organization of it...but I'm downsizing to folders next year and having a stay at school binder to keep all their folders together.

Anyways.....someone had a cute meaning for IPOD that they posted last year. My stars mean Students Taking Academic Responsibility, but I thought it would be cute to change the theme up this year. Anyone remember what it was? Thanks!

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 29, 2009

I'm Prepared and Organized Daily. Here's the link that was posted last year. http://www.msjensenclass.com/ipod_binders/iPod_binders.htm
    I just did an AtoZ Forums Search and found one of the posts from the discussion last summer. I figured Ms. Jenson's website would be helpful to you though.

4. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 30, 2009

How exactly did your STAR binder work?

5. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

May 30, 2009

I had a BEAR binder because I had a camping theme. BEAR = Being Exceptional and Responsible. This was my first year using the binder. I loved it and the majority of my parents loved it too. In fact a co-teacher is considering it for her 3/4 combination room next year. I am encouraging one of my tutoring students to use one next year. He has ADHD and needs lot of help with responsiblity. I must say that the binder doesn't totally stop forgotten homework, etc. but it did make a huge difference in the number of days I had to listen to an excuse. I love the iPod binder title. I will be stealing it for next year. Look at the link to Ms. Jensen's binder. I did mine slightly different, but you make it fit your needs, so they will all be a little different. Try it! I'm sure you'll like it!

6. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 30, 2009

I really love this idea. Does anyone have an acronym that would fit my Hollywood theme?

7. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

May 30, 2009

Why not use STAR?

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 30, 2009

That's what I was thinking, dbcteacher. It kind of goes together because of the Walk of Fame stars.

9. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 31, 2009

Of course! My brain is fried at the moment from working on my class website all day, so STAR didn't even occur to me. Thanks. :)

10. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 31, 2009

I read through the link but I have a few questions. Does front and back pocket mean the plastic liner on the binder, or is it something you place inside? Do the subject tabs hold all the paperwork or do you clean it out per unit? Do the students use them as their only binder in class or are you supplementing it as well?

11. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 31, 2009

Heather, I ended up and modified to best fit the needs in MY classroom. The front and back pockets do mean the ones already in the binder. As for the subject tabs, I had my students keep notebooks (folders) for the subjects that we needed to keep notebooks for and then I had a tab in the binder for them to stick notes from another notebook if the needed to take them home for use with homework and such. When they returned to school, they put the notes back in the other notebook. I used the binder as a school-to-home communication book. It held any notes that needed to go home, graded papers, projects to be completed with parents, information regarding our classroom (copies of signed classroom rules sheets, classroom procedures list, etc.), and papers that needed to be signed and returned to school.

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 31, 2009

Next year I'm doing a SAS Binder (Stay at School) with all their folders (math, reading, work, science, social studies) and zipper pouch for money. My biggest problem with the STAR was parents taking all their child's work out of their folders, even though I said NOT TO. Plus back to school and home put a lot of wear and tear. Next year, I'm doing an Ipod Folder for school to home. It will be one of the plastic sturdy folders. One side return to school, one side keep at home. With plastic sleeves in the middle for our weekly reading log, spelling homework, specials schedule, and math strategies---which I loved having a space for in our STARs.

13. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 31, 2009

Really not trying to hijack...Buck, can you tell me about how you use your reading log in upper elementary, please? You can send me a PM so the thread doesn't get hijacked if you want. :)

I like the idea of having math strategies in the binder that goes home. That's very helpful for the students and even the parents.

14. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Jun 1, 2009

I teach 2nd grade. In my BEAR binder I had the zipper pouch, page protectors for daily schedule, signed discipline form, class roster, Ten Commandments (memory work), and PE 100 mile log. We also kept our agenda's in there so our spelling lists were always with us. Then I had 2 pocket portfolios for homework and papers that need to stay at home. By the end of the first week we were pretty much used to where their papers needed to go. At Parent Orientation I really emphasized that only the papers in the stay at home folder were to stay at home. My parents did a pretty good job of following the rules. I am thinking of asking for the plastic folders instead of the paper ones for the portfolios because the paper ones were already falling out before Christmas. We used the front pocket of the binder for notes. The back pocket was for science dictionaries, etc. that they might want to use at home, but this did not work, because those parents who can't stand to have anything extra lying around, took them out and threw them away. I had my parents put their notes to me in the pouch. The extra sheets of notebook paper were not staying in the notebook (accidentally being being ripped out when turning to the agenda) so I won't do that this year. With the notes in the pouch, it was the student's responsibility to give me the note. This worked well. I absolutely love this idea and I am so glad that there was a thread about it last year.

15. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

Were there anything problems that you guys ran into when using this binder? I'd like to plan ahead for those problems that might arise.

16. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 2, 2009

lost binders, not signing the sheets inside or even looking at the work sent home, and broken binders were the only issues I really had last year. I actually had a parent that wanted me to buy her child a new binder because he stepped on it and broke it. I don't think so!

17. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

I love the fact that the parent wanted YOU to buy a new binder because their child ruined theirs. It never ceases to amaze me the way parents think. Did you have any problems with parents not buying the binder, dividers, etc. at the beginning of the year?

18. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

I provided the page protectors. They are not terribly expensive. I also asked that the binder have a cover pocket so the students could insert a cover sheet identifying the binder as their BEAR binder. I had one student who had some issues bringing the binder back, but there are some extenuating circumstances in that family so... The notebook paper kept coming out, the pocket folders ripped through the holes (that's why I am hoping to go with plastic this year) and I will ask for a 1 1/2" binder not a 1". Everything fit last year, but the agenda takes a lot of space and I think that's why so many things ripped. You pretty much have to decide what you want in the way of organization that fits your style and go with it. The binders were well worn by the end of the year, but only 2 were in real need of repair. I will probably use a daily reward system of some kind at the beginning of the year this year to encourage the students to bring the binder back and then move to a weekly and monthly reward in October, after all my students are second graders and we are really just beginning to develop some major responsiblity.

19. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

Thanks for the feedback, dbcteacher!

20. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jun 14, 2009

Thanks!

21. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Jun 14, 2009

I found what I am going to use instead of the pocket folders whose holes rip before Christmas. Office Depot and Walmart (Walmart is $3 cheaper.) have plastic pocket dividers for binders. There is a pocket on each side of the divider. I purchased a package of 8 for $3.88 last night. I think they will work perfectly for papers that need to go home and stay home and homework. So... for this year I am asking that the page protectors be part of the school supply list and I am providing the pocket dividers. I did find some plastic pocket folders at Walmart for 97cents, but I like these dividers better for now.