iphone vs. blackberry

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Proud2BATeacher, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 21, 2009

My contract with my cell phone provider is finally up and I'm switching providers. I am very indecisive as to whether I should get an iphone or a blackberry. I'm hoping that my fellow atozers could give me some pros and cons on either phone;).

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 21, 2009

I've never had a blackberry but my husband has the new touch screen one and he is on his fifth one. There are some major flaws with that model so if you get a blackberry, don't get that one!

I have an iPhone and absolutely love it.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 21, 2009

The iPhone is GREAT! I haven't tried the blackberries. The biggest difference I can see and the killer for me on the iPhone is that I'm a heavy texter/emailer so not having a physical keyboard is a deal breaker for me. I have the G1 and I love it but it does not hold candles to the media and gaming that the iPhone experience can bring.

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 21, 2009

iphone

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2009

iPhone! I love it. I have had mine since it first came out and have had no problems with it at all. If and when something happens to the one I have I will certainly upgrade to the new one. My husband might get the new one and I will be extremely jealous!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2009

Iphone!!!

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 21, 2009

iPhone!!!! I used my sisters blackberry to try and make a call once- it drove me nuts. I love my iPhone.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 21, 2009

Wow, it looks like the iphone is winning.:D I heard that most of the applications are free. What applications are worth paying for?

10. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 21, 2009

My boyfriend has an iPhone and I have a Blackberry. So, I've played with both. I have to be honest, as someone who's not a techie, I find the iPhone less user friendly. I also, like another poster said, like having an actual keyboard. I think the Blackberry has better and faster internet service. If you travel by plane a lot get the iPhone. If you're really into texting, email, internet get the Blackberry. I also find, the iPhone is easier to break. My boyfriend has been through two. I've dropped mine a lot of times and it's never broken or acted funny. IMO, Blackberrys are strudier phones.

11. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 21, 2009

I haven't bought any applications. I download the free ones. Though, I do want to get monopoly, scrabble, and maybe one other game. The iphones are able to sync up to each other somehow- so if someone close to you has one, you can play the games against them. My boyfriend and I did invest in the Navigon GPS application though. It came in handy for our trip to NC and now to DC and NY on Wednesday.

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 21, 2009

I have a blackberry, my husband has an iPhone and probably couldn't live without it.

iPhone cons: texting/emailing is a bit difficult on on the touch screen keyboard, HAVE to buy it with the data plan which is extra $30 a month (I think), need to charge battery about every day (but for what it can do, what do you expect!)

iPhone pros: tons of apps for anything and everything which is the best thing about it, anything you could ever need or want to know can be found out by an app, I like using the internet on the iPhone, the maps apps are really helpful when looking for a place/getting lost, easy access to email...so many things

-----------------------
    Blackberry cons: not a touch screen, small buttons

Blackberry pros: battery lasts longer, charges fast, easier to text with actual buttons

I don't use my blackberry for the internet so I can't compare it in that area. But the iPhone comes in handy a lot...but I can't come to terms with having to spend the extra $30 a month for the data plan. If my husband didn't have one, I'd probably buy one for myself. But since he has one, I'm content with that. :)

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 21, 2009

Oh I forgot to say, Apple is really good with helping with problems with the iPhone. Also, if they can't fix the problem, they'll give you a new phone. I know of 2 friends who have had that happen to them.

14. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 21, 2009

iPhone, all the way! I bought my husband an iPhone for Christmas, and now I have major phone envy!! We're paying less than $20 more per month for the iPhone than for his last phone (which was basically a dinosaur and had absolutely nothing going for it other than texting).

As far as the poster who said that it breaks easier-- do you have any sort of protective case? I bought a hard shell case that came with some sort of rubber outer covering. It protects the screen, protects it from the times you drop it, and also keeps out moisture. It costs about $50, but is well worth it. My husband, the first day he had his, dropped it twice-- once it was outside in the rain. :rolleyes:

Apple has GREAT customer service. Their AppleCare plan costs around $70 and you're covered for two years.

Oh, and for apps-- the only one my husband paid for was the Moron Test, but only because I asked for it. :p It's tons of fun.

The only downside I see to the iPhone is that it is hard to get the hang of the touch keyboard. Other than that, my husband loves his.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 22, 2009

Oh yeah, I forgot about the touch screen comparison. Touch screens absolutely rock! I won't go back to a phone that doesn't have one. I have both a touch screen and the physical keyboard. It suits my needs. If you aren't a heavy texter or email person then I would say go with the iPhone. The apps are much better. The screen is just pretty. The touch screen rocks.

We have the iTouch which is the same as the iPhone without the phone feature and the easy access to internet (ie, only wifi). It was free with my iMac. We started out only downloading free applications. Most of the time we still only download free applications. How do I decide what is worth buying? Many of them have a lite/demo free app and I try that first. Once in a great while I will see something that I know I would like and I read the reviews to see if other customers have been satisfied with that application and what they have to say about it.

You asked us which is the best.... but the real answer is how do you use your phone? That's going to best determine what kind to get.

16. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2009

Texting on the iPhone is so easy. I have used both the Blackberry and iPhone to text and I like the touchscreen so much better for texting then the keyboard with the buttons. I've had my iPhone since they first came out. I never have had a case on it and it is still in perfect condition.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 22, 2009

I have the iTouch and even after 2 years of having it, I still can't stand to text on it compared to a physical keyboard for LONG emails. For short stuff, it is fine. It really isn't HARD to type on at all. I just can't type while multi-tasking to do other things and it takes a little bit longer for longer emails. MANY people aren't heavy texters so it is fine. The other deal breaker for me is that the AIM wouldn't stay signed in so that I could get notifications that I have an IM. I would have to go into it each time. Again, most people don't use AIM like their phone but I'm deaf and this and email IS my phone. That part may have been fixed with a 3rd party app for me but those were deal breakers for me. You just have to know that I got used to typing without looking at my keyboard or screen. Being that this IS my substitute for a phone, a physical keyboard is necessary for me. I have heard some other power business users say the same thing. Being that the OP didn't come in with strong opinions about wants in a phone, I'm venturing to say this probably isn't the case.

Having said that, I recognize the superior beauty of the iPhone, the definite attraction of the touch screen (you probably won't go back) and the lure of the app store. It really sets the standard.

So bottom line is if you do write emails and use your keyboard on your phone but it isn't the MAIN use of your phone and you don't write books each and every time you write one... don't hesitate.. run and get the iPhone.

Some versions of blackberries now have touch screens but they don't have onboard physical keyboards either (I don't think) and I wouldn't even compare anything else to an iPhone in that situation. I can't see it beating the iPhone in several areas.

I would get a trial period. You can take back the phone within so many days. You have to pay a restocking fee but it's worth it.

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 22, 2009

I'm excited cause I'm getting an iPhone delivered in the mail this week or early next week!

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 22, 2009

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I am planning on buying a Mac in the spring in hopes that the free itouch offer will happen again. So, I was stuck between getting a Blackberry and using the itouch or just giving away the itouch and getting an iphone. I think I have decided that I am just going to be a really cool aunt by giving the itouch to my nephew:D.

If I was going to use my iphone to listen to music while I work out in the gym, would I be able to turn the ringer off and still hear the music?

20. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2009

Who has downloaded some good apps? I only download the free ones and they are fun ones like Solitare, Scramble, Bubblewrap and a few more. Any other good free ones that people have tried?

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 22, 2009

Unfortunately, I'm not a big texter...it actually stresses me out, so I was hoping that having a keyboard with each letter having it's own key will be easier to use. Hopefully, I'll be able to work the touch screen easily. I think I'll visit a "busy" (I hate being jumped on by 3 different people as soon as I enter a store;)) cell phone store to try it out.

22. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2009

Just tried it. There is a button on the side where you can turn off the ringer but you are still able to hear your music.

One thing I would recommend is the protective film for the touch screen. It is expensive, about $14 for two in a package, but they each last forever.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 22, 2009

Thanks Emma!:D

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

Proud~the texting does take some getting used to. And even with the extra $30/mnth, my phone bill is still way less than what it was when we were with Verizon.

25. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 22, 2009

Tap Tap Revenge is free and SO much fun. My husband's friend convinced him to download Pee Monkey :)rolleyes:), but I think it's pretty dumb. If you're looking for any apps-- not just games-- DH and I really find Yelp to be a great tool.

26. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Dec 22, 2009

Apps? I download lots of apps for my iphone, and pay for a lot of them too.

• tomtom GPS program ($50),
    • Wunder radio - plays tons of radio stations from around the country via internet.
    • NBA League Pass ($40?)- to watch live NBA games on my phone
    • MLB At Bat (don't remember price)- to watch live MLB games on my phone
    • Beejive ($5)- to use several IM programs at once.
    • A bunch of games that I paid for, to keep myself, and my nephews, entertained.
    • Guitar toolkit - use it at work to tune the kids' guitars. Also has a chord library and metronome, and some other stuff
    • Motion-X GPS - to track my running routes, or hiking routes, including time, distance, elevation, etc
    • a bunch of bank specific apps, such as BofA, Discover, etc, to bank with my iphone.
    • Kindle for the iphone
    • Dr. Seuss Cam ($2.99)- allows you to take pics, then turn them into the grinch, Max, etc. I have been taking pictures of the kids, then printing them out, which they have loved!
    • Baseball score keeping app, to keep score for my adult baseball team.
    • ebay, amazon, and google apps (all free).
    • Dictionary app - uhhhh, to use as a dictionary!

I know there are a bunch more that I have downloaded, then inactivated for various reasons.

As for the "toughness" of the iphone, I am on my second iphone. My first was the original, which I have to my cousin and he still uses every day. I have dropped my current iphone down the stairs of my apartment, and it still works fine. I only have a leather case on it, and it still survived. A fellow student in school has an iphone with a shattered screen. I don't know how she shattered it, but you can still see the screen, and the touchscreen still works!! The phone still works flawless.

The touchscreen takes a little getting used to when typing, but I find that so does typing with little keyboards as well. I got used to typing on the iphone after a month or so.

To me, the biggest... BIGGEST drawback has been the AT&T network. I left Verizon to get the iPhone, and I was seriously considering breaking my original contract and going back to Verizon. The AT&T network has either improved, or I have gotten used to poor reception and learned to avoid those areas. I still have problems with reception (I live in the greater LA area) but they are not as pronounced as they used to be when I first joined AT&T. If the iPhone ever is available on Verizon, I will jump ship the first chance I get.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 23, 2009

Are you all finding the applications on the Apple website?

:hijack: I love your name Sam Aye M. We have a student in preschool named Sam and we pretty well renamed him Sam I Am whenever we say hello or good bye to him.

28. glaciergirl

glaciergirl Rookie

Dec 23, 2009

iphone...every friend i know who has a blackberry has trouble with it

29. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Dec 23, 2009

All the apps are found using iTunes. Just yesterday,
    I found and downloaded an ASL dictionary to learn some basic asl now that we have a deaf client.