iPads

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissT34, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Feb 28, 2012

Our district is launching a new initiative that will implement technology in the classroom at a bigger scale than we have ever done. All students from k-12 will be receiving iPads. Since this is the first year, only a few teachers from each campus were selected for the "initial rollout" of this initiative. All of the teachers in my grade level are part of this selected technology team so our students will be getting their iPads next week. We've had ours for a few months already but the district is still working on getting more extensive trainings. So my question is, those of you who are able to use iPads or other technology in the classroom, how do you use it with the kids? Remember, ALL my students will have one and it's not just about playing apps or games. How can I integrate this in order to transform my kids into 21st century learners?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 28, 2012

This is my 6th year in a 1:1 school, and we use the computers all day, every day. My entire content is driven through the computer. Will you have a classroom delivery system (like Blackboard, Angel, Moodle?) That will make a huge difference.

That first year can be overwhelming, so I would suggest that in the beginning, you just work to digitize what you already are doing in your curriculum. Once you get that down, then you can branch out to new technologies and more Web 2.0 activities.

What grade do you teach?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 29, 2012

Definitely start with small things. Students could take notes on the iPads, students could type all their writing, students could blog.

After this gets up and running, then you can put extras for the students. Maybe if you have vocabulary words with pictures, these could go into a folder for the students to review and access. If you have math videos or how-tos, these could be in another folder.

5. Bear Knuckles

Bear Knuckles Rookie

Mar 1, 2012

I have to admit, I am jealous of your district's financial situation to be able to do something like this. Our district is having mass lay offs again for the 4th year in a row.