IPADs in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Feb 9, 2013.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 9, 2013

I went to an excellent training with a school that is using IPADs with their middle school students. I was so impressed with how the children seemed so much more organized with their assignments all in digital folders. There also seemed so much time saved without going to lockers, passing out papers, etc. I really think this could be the future of education especially in grades 5-12. What are your thoughts and experiences about IPADs in the classroom?

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Feb 10, 2013

I'm a big proponent of this and I share my personal one in the classroom with the students. I've had some good success when I've offered it as an option for getting a project done. The big picture is that it engages them which in turn makes them more self directed and independent in their on learning.

I've also had the opportunity to visit a campus in another district and observed how they use iPads and other mobile devices in their classrooms. It was very impressive.

By the way, I wrote a proposal for iPads in our school and just found out it was approved! I don't know all the details yet but it appears that it's going to be a a 1:1 initiative. We'll see.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2013

I would love to use them, but we have a lot of trouble with kids damaging the laptops we currently have. Then again, there's no keys to pop off! :lol:

I don't know - maybe I just had a bad week with other destruction in my room, but I don't think a lot of my students would handle them responsibly.

(But it would be so awesome if they did!)

5. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Feb 10, 2013

I have access to 8 ipads on mondays and tuesdays for my 32 second graders. At this point, I have used them as "extras": when you finish your jobs, you may use/share an ipad. I would love to have one for each child! I am still trying to figure out how to fairly give all kids access to them...at the moment, it is so hit and miss...

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 10, 2013

We're trying to get Chromebooks in the Classroom. Same concept. Internet connectivity and collaboration and technology, but using laptops instead.

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 10, 2013

It is the future of education, especially when price comes down even more, for all the reasons you mentioned. The thing that makes them so strong is the level of engagement/enthusiasm from students wanting to use them. I don't think it's the "new" factor (i.e. of using an "iPad"); I really think it's just that much more engaging than opening an old textbook.

I think it's a great business move by Apple. Think about e.g., if Barnes&Noble or Borders decided to push for Nook devices inside classrooms. Maybe Borders would still be in business. Because as I said, it will revolutionize education I think. Teachers can take lessons outside the classroom, and have a: book, whiteboard, camera, folders, files, and the like, all with them (without having to worry about papers flying away, etc!)

8. Rox

Rox Cohort

Feb 12, 2013

I LOVE using iPads in my classroom! I'm grateful to have received a grant so that each student can use one.

I often work with students individually, so I am constantly looking for things the other students can work on independently. There are so many activities that are fun AND educational that meets their needs.

9. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Feb 12, 2013

We are getting a teacher iPad in the room very soon. I can't wait! I'll be using it in small group.

10. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Feb 12, 2013

1:1

I was involved in the planning for our recent proposal to go 1:1 PK-12 in my district. The teacher models should be here this week and then the students will pilot them this spring and then a full roll out next fall. I cant wait.

11. Scribe

Scribe Rookie

Feb 13, 2013

I think it's amazing to see teachers and districts embracing new technology, especially in the older grades. I remember getting 20 minutes of computer time a week when I was younger and that was usually dedicated to Oregon Trail. There are so many cool techniques and ideas iPads open up.

12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Feb 14, 2013

The iPad in Elementary by TCEA is a e-book (1.99 I think) is a good staring point for ideas on using it in the classroom.