iPad Question (1, 2 or 3?!)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bandnerdtx, Sep 2, 2012.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

Let me preface this by saying that I'm cheap...

Okay, I really want a tablet. My home computer died a horrible and painful death earlier in the year, and since then, I've been using my school tablet PC at home. Unfortunately, that means that I'm also bound by the filtering software when I'm at home, and after months of just dealing with it, I'm ready to move on. I want to get on Twitter! ;)

So I'm really considering buying an iPad. I don't want an android tablet because I already have an iPhone and want to share the apps and music I've already purchased through iTunes. Having said that, I'm wondering if I can be happy with just a first generation iPad.

I know it doesn't have a camera, but I don't care about that because I do have my iPhone. I'm not a gamer, either, so that's not an issue. I live in a big city with TONS of free Wi-fi, and I have Wi-fi at home, so I don't need a 3g or 4g device.

Do you think I could be happy with the original? It's so much cheaper than the iPad2. I can't even consider the price of iPad3. LOL.

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

I have the original i-Pad and I really like it because it has a kindle app, so I can read all the books from my Kindle Fire on it. I don't use it like a PC since I have both a laptop and desktop and it does everything I need like take pictures, allow me to surf the net, update to facebook, make video blogs, download apps, take movies, check my horoscope, play Angry Birds, check email, update my google calendar, etc

On the rare occasion that I actually need to type a document, I have a wireless keyboard that attaches to my iPad case. it's light weight, less than 1/2 a pound I'd say and my case is really cool because the wireless keyboards folds up inside of it

I love technology and I truly love my iPad1.

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2012

Bump, joining the fray... would love to hear more on this... also comparing different generations of ipod touch if it's not too much of a diversion...

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

Great thread!! Buying an iPad has been on my mind lately as well. I want to buy one and write it off as a business expense, but I'm not quite sure how that works.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

The biggest differences between them are probably the camera and screen quality. There are some new apps, mostly games, that only run on the newest model, but I haven't run into this problem with anything I've wanted or needed. There are some speed and memory improvements also, but again, mine works just fine.

I have a 1G, so obviously I'm happy with mine. I paid $900 for it, so I will be using it for a long time! Mine is a 64GB 3G model.

Keep in mind that you probably want to budget some money for productivity apps if you are replacing a computer with it.

Do not buy a used one! People are hard on tablets, the batteries aren't too cheap to replace, and the screens don't last forever. I wouldn't even buy a refurb unless the cost difference was significant.

Apple is generally good about making software upgrades available for as many previous models as possible, so unless new software features need newer hardware, you are good there too. I'm not sure what is coming up in the new OS, so check that out to see if it changes anything. It should be released around the same time as the iPhone version.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

My IPhone is refurbished. Many people say refurbished is better because they fix the kinks and run all sorts of diagnostic tests to make sure it is re-sellable. However, I have some weird quirks with my iPhone and I really think it is because it was refurbished. So I agree with what you said. I wouldn't buy another refurbished model.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

Well I'm typing this on my iPad2 so I guess I made my choice. I think the first generation would have been fine, but all they had in the Apple store was 2 and 3. So far I like it!

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

Woo Hoo big spender!!!! Hope I can buy an iPad after the new year. Have FUN!!!!!! Might I suggest downloading Plants vs. Zombies. It is a little pricey for an app but it is the funnest game EVER!!!

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 2, 2012

I'm paying off a major loan in two months, so this may be on my list soon ;)

11. KDS

KDS Companion

Sep 2, 2012

I was given a 1 by my dad who wanted one,but didn't want to waste his $, so if I liked it, he would buy one (yeah, I don't get it either).
    He ended up getting the 2, and this past Christmas gave me a 2 so I would pass my 1 to my 10 yr old.
    I dropped it in July (almost causing heart attack) and I still had some warranty, so I took it in to Best Buy for a repair. Turns out, the warranty that I had paid for a replacement, but they didn't have a 2 in store, so I now have a 3. I did pay about $130 for an additional warranty.

I love the 2 or 3 because with the HDMI adapter, I can mirror my iPad onto a Tv screen, including streaming videos from places like PBS Kids. I have "streamed" power points using a photo ap.

The HDMI adapter does NOT work the same on the 1. If I ever am back in the classroom as a "real teacher" I am going to have to invest in some type of iPad lock. I used it ALL the time doing Education Outreach the past few years.

(and this iPad thing....the only--and i mean ONLY--thing that has gone right lately....gotta take the good from where you can find it)

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

Are you set on an iPad? My son, who works in computers at Best Buy recommends the Asus tf700.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 2, 2012

I have one and two....one is just as good as two in my opinion

14. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 3, 2012

Oooh, I just got the TF700

It is so good

I also bought the Keyboard Dock. It makes great.

But I do need to purchase a micro HDMI in to HDMI out cable and an HDMI to VGA adapter.

For a cheaper option, the Google Nexus 7 is also a good choice. That tablet is rather sleek for $250 (Although it is only 7 inches)