iPad in an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher14, Jun 20, 2015.

1. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 20, 2015

Hi Teachers!

I have an interview in my dream district this week! I only got this interview because some principals were impressed by the website/online portfolio I created and put in my application.

Do you think it would be appropriate to bring an iPad to show my website? It has a lot of relevant examples that I think would be useful in an interview. I have a physical portfolio that I sometimes refer to in interviews but I feel like showing my website on the iPad would be more interesting and show that I know how to use technology. Any advice or opinions are welcome!

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 20, 2015

Yes take it....technology is. Big deal right now in the classroom. Show them that you embrace it!!

4. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 20, 2015

The one thing I wonder about is, how do you get the internet access when you are there?

5. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 20, 2015

Maybe ask the front desk if they have a guest wifi that you can connect to. our school had a guest wifi because we hosted the pd's there a lot and so people who werent on the staff wifi could access the Internet.

6. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 20, 2015

I student taught in this district so I have the wifi password luckily! Just to be on the safe side, I was planning on screenshotting each of the pages on my website also.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2015

You should be able to do a Hotspot WiFi connection from your cell phone or internet cable provider. (if you have those features)

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 20, 2015

I, personally, wouldn't access their network without their permission and using whatever guest password they would issue. Tech is big, but integrity in using tech legally and properly is even bigger. Good luck!

9. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 20, 2015

It's a guest network and they gave me the password so I think it will be fine to access it for the purpose of the interview : )

10. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Jun 21, 2015

This is what I did when I brought my iPad in for the interview. I also preloaded the pages and included a hard copy in my physical portfolio. I didn't use my iPad throughout the entire interview; I only used it as a reference. I used both my physical and digital portfolio, but mainly used the iPad to demonstrate my ability to use the district's early childhood software (since I student taught in that district, was familiar with it, and knew the retiring teacher never used it). It was a 2 hour interview and I think I used the iPad for about 10 minutes off and on.

I did ask permission to pull it out. When we got to the first question where I could use the iPad, I said something along the lines, "I brought my iPad to show you a few things I created using Mimio. May I show you?" I kept it on the table after that and referred to different things on it as the questions arose, such as an online newsletter for parent communication.

I got the job. :) Go for it! Just be mindful to not use it throughout the ENTIRE interview. Use it only if it helps you demonstrate an answer to the question.

11. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 21, 2015

@olivecoffee Great advice! Thank you! I have never heard of a 2 hour interview...the longest I've had was 30 minutes. I will definitely keep in mind to just use the iPad when it is really relevant. I don't want to rely on it for every answer.

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 24, 2015

I used an iPad to show slides of a demo lesson once. Take it!