iPad apps and uses

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Lionteacher, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jun 2, 2012

My building just got iPads for all of the teachers to use next year. I was wondering if any of you have 1 and what you use it for? Any app suggestions would also be wonderful.

3. HDB

HDB New Member

Jun 3, 2012

I got Confer and like it so far. It's great if you use Reading/Writing workshop. I also was able to put Class Dojo on it. It's not really an app, but once you get registered you can get it on your homepage and it pretty much operates like an app.

4. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jun 18, 2012

My district is doing an IPad pilot and I was selected as one of the lucky teachers that gets one for the classroom! :)

There seems to be more educational apps geared toward the primary grades than intermediate so you have to do more searching.

On my blog I have multiple posts that list some useful apps for the fifth grade classroom if you want to check it out: http://teachingdugout.blogspot.com/

Let me know how your app search goes! I love finding new things for my IPad to use in the classroom!

5. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jun 18, 2012

I am loving educreations because my room doesn't have a smart board and it operates like one but allows me to record what I do and post it online. I figure it will be great for when students are absent.

6. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jun 18, 2012

http://www.socrative.com/

Socrative is great to use in the classroom...it is basically a student response system. I like that you can use it as an app or access through an online browser. I'm not sure the amount of computers you have in your room, but even if you don't have a class set you could still assess students by table group. Check it out!

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 29, 2012

I've done a few posts on my blog about apps for education. You can see them here: http://artofpossibilityforteachers.blogspot.com/search/label/apps

I'm so excited because I'm going to be piloting a 1:1 iPad program this year with my fifth graders. They will be able to take them home and everything. Our goal is to go to 1:1 for K-8 the following year.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2012

Someone else mentioned Dojo...I like that.