iPad 2 - Will You Use?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EdEd, Mar 11, 2011.

1. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 11, 2011

5:00pm folks - the time when you can have your very own iPad 2! Alright, free marketing for Apple aside, there's a video on Apple's website that shows "Year 1" of the iPad, with a couple of neat sections related to education: Chicago Public Schools use in elementary classrooms, and use for kids with Autism.

Has anyone ever used an iPad in their classroom? What uses - reading, assistive technology? Anyone planning on dropping $499 to give it a shot?

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2011

I'll use an Ipad 1 if I can get it for $79.99.

Or when the IPad 3 comes out, hopefully I'll get an IPad 2 for $89.99

Yes, I'm cheap.

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 11, 2011

I'll put in a call to Apple and request that price for you. I'm sure they'll go along with it.

Incidentally, the original iPad is now only $399...

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 11, 2011

I use mine mostly in small groups working on reading and math skills. I also use it to record annecdotal notes and grades taken in small groups.

6. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 11, 2011

My partner uses them everyday in math. He records his lessons and puts them on the ipads. The students watch the lessons at their own pace as he walks around the class answering questions and making sure they got the concept. He has about 18, so half the class work on this while the other half work on tech projects. (He teaches a math/tech core block.)

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Mar 11, 2011

I use my iPad 1 every day. I first use it for attendance and gradebook because I can connect to our district's software with it. Thus I can walk around the room with my gradebook digitally, and ditto for attendance. I then also have it linked to my desktop computer through our WiFi, and so I control my PowerPoint presentations with it as well. I walk around the room with the iPad and control the slides on my projector.

This has also helped with students who quickly need to write something down because they missed a slide. I simply hand them the iPad. I also will hand it to students to look up information quickly if we're in the middle of discussion. I also have a flash card application that we use, where we pass the iPad around circle-discussions and quiz each other.

I love it.... it's great, and used several hours a day, every day.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2011

I wish I had at least one, but my district isn't ready to drop that kind of cash yet. I use so much technology that it would be helpful to be able to control the computer from around the room or enter grades elsewhere in the classroom. But for now, I'm happy with my SmartBoard.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2011

I really wish I had one. I went to an educational technology expo and conference last month and many of the teachers had them. I was so jealous. A lot of the schools were buying them class sets of them.

Does anyone know how some of the other tablets compare to the iPad?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2011

I've got first generation Ipad....love love love it...got it for 'free' with bonus points from Scholastic.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 13, 2011

Woooo! One of our teachers just won an Apple award for our schools integration of the ipad. I'm amazed at what they can do.

12. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Mar 14, 2011

I've been putting off buying an ipad because I have an ipod touch.

With the Ipad2 out though, I opted to get the first gen ipad at apple.com for $399. That to me was worth the price, I wasn't all that impressed with the upgrades to this model. The only worth while upgrade is the speed, but since I won't game on it, that won't be an issue. Thinner and lighter, half a pound is not noteworthy, and really it's thin enough as it is. I already have a computer for video, so the camera app is another meh for me.

Babble off, ipad 2 motivated me to buy the first ipad!

;) It should be here Wednesday!

13. bondo

bondo Cohort

Mar 14, 2011

I would also love to buy and am hoping to purchase one over the summer. My goal is to work some extra jobs so I can buy one. I have researched it a lot and have been to the store numerous times to "play" with it. They are developing tremendous education programs and software, and they will only get better.

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 14, 2011

I really want an IPad, but I'm not sure I need an IPad, IPhone, IPod, laptop, Nook and a desktop computer. I'm trying to justify why I need one. I'm on my IPhone more than I am my computer.

15. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 14, 2011

Yeah, I was very close to doing the same thing Pete2770 - $399 makes it that much more tempting. I have a friend who uses hers everyday in her 4th grade class and has been sending me pictures of all the cool things she does trying to get me to buy one. It's certainly having an effect :).

16. marshusensei

marshusensei New Member

Jun 13, 2011

Would love to use an iPad in my classes. We are currently using iPod touches. Kids are so engaged, but will it wear off?

I've even started developing my own apps for education.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 13, 2011

:rofl:

That sounds like me! I can't even justify a Nook/Kindle at this point.

18. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jun 13, 2011

This is all great, but what exactly can be done with it? I just received one for this next school year and am having a hard time coming up with creative ideas on how to incorporate it. Aside from apps, what else do you do with it? (for those with one already) I am teaching 5th grade.

19. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jun 13, 2011

I would LOVE to have one for my special needs class. Jealous of all of you who have them provided by your school district! We don't even have SmartBoards in our classrooms yet!!! I would love to purchase one but I really wish I could just rent one for a month to make sure my kids will respond to it and that it is beneficial for them before forking over the $500!

20. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 13, 2011

I'm about to get one in August- our district is offering 120 to the first people to register for a 13 week class on how to use one effectively in the classroom. If we ever leave the district we have to turn it back in, but I don't plan on doing that any time soon :)

21. Mrs. Rubble

Mrs. Rubble Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

Czacza,
    How many points did it take to get one? Wow is all I can say:cool: