Involuntary Moves

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by jenglish97, May 5, 2007.

1. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

May 5, 2007

Did anyone else get moved for next year to a new grade or a new-co-teacher? I was told on May 1st that I was being moved to a new co-teacher in the same grade.

I am an inclusion teacher. So to be honest, I was not surprised that I was moved. It seems that I have a 2-year curse though. After teaching, 1st grade for 2 years they moved to 2nd grade. Then I moved again to another teacher that I worked with in 2nd grade and now I am being moved again after only 2 years with the current teacher.

I really can't complain due to the fact that I am in the same grade and that the range of special education children are different every year.

3. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

May 5, 2007

We may be facing a teaching partner move as well this fall. I'm not sure I'm excited about it...lol. When you get comfortable with your co-teacher, you work well together and complement each other's strengths and weaknesses so moving to an entirely new person is very difficult. However, there is the possiblity of bringing a fresh perspective and new ideas to someone else (and to yourself,) but I'm more inclined to want to stay with the person I'm used to.

4. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

May 5, 2007

I'll find out on May 18th whether or not I'll be moved. Meanwhile, the rumor mill is chugging away at full speed. The latest buzz has our principal flipping the seventh and eighth grade faculty and having us loop. I will be posting for a transfer if that happens.

5. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

May 5, 2007

Last year, I was told on the last day of school that I would be moving rooms, and teaching two entirely new courses (and two preps instead of one). I was MAD!!! I looked for a new job in a new district, but in the end, I decided to try it. As I worked through it, this years has turned out fantastically! It turned out that their curse on me was a blessing in disguise!

Look at it with a positive attitude, and try something new. Make lemonade with your lemons!

Good Luck!

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 5, 2007

Why? When I was teaching, I always wished I had the ability to stay with my children for more than one year!

7. TeacherKay9

TeacherKay9 Rookie

May 5, 2007

new staff

We'll be getting 2 new teachers on my gradelevel and a new principal and haven't heard a thing yet and only 18 more days of school to go! At least I don't think I'll be moved, I hope.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 5, 2007

After teaching Kinder, my principal decided to move me to 5th due to low enrollment. I freaked out when he told me. I thought he would move me to first, since we have two new first grades. I'll take La Professora's advice and try it out. I may love 5th way more than kinder!

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 5, 2007

We lost an allotment, so I got moved to a new school, and a new grade. I'm moving from 5th to 4th and about 15 minutes closer to my house, so I'm excited about the change.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 6, 2007

I'm secondary, so things are a bit different. But, in my 21 years of teaching, I've taught just about every course our school offers, plus quite a few we no longer teach.

Getting a new prep is part of the job. It's why we're not certified for one grade or one course-- because schools need flexibility in their teachers if they are to function.

And having a varied background can only make us better teachers. We see exactly what kids know before they get to us, and exactly where the weaknesses are after they leave our current class.

As deapartment chair, my biggest complaint about my wonderful department was the number of teachers who were too comfortable in a particular course and hesitant to add in another.

So work with another teacher. You'll see a new persepective and add in a whole new range of ideas to your own.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 6, 2007

Moves between grade levels are not uncommon in my school. We are in a rapidly growing area which is also quite transient and are waiting for a new school to be opened in another year or so. As new familiies move in and out our needs change. One year we may have 2 grade 6 classes, the next we may have only 1 and a half or we may have 3. We have even had teaching assignments change mid-year as our population changes. Flexibility is the name of the game.

12. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

May 6, 2007

Yes I am being moved. Our grade levels were all cut due to new schools opening in the area. So I am going from 2nd grade to 1st grade. I would have liked to stay where i am but i am excited something different try!