Involuntarily Transferred

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Dec 17, 2007.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2007

Well the meeting with the union folks became a meeting with them and the HR department. I have been involuntarily transferred to a new school starting Jan 2. I have two days to clear out my classroom and my students will not be seeing me again. The principal was trying to get me fired, but first of all he didn't have reason to fire me and second he was doing the paperwork all wrong, so I am being sent to the alternative high school and I will no longer have my own classroom. I will pull students out who need extra help with social studies, work with kids and their writing skills for the state standardized test and set up and run an ACT prep course. For now I do not even have my own room to do that stuff in. The improvement plan goes away for now as best as everyone can decide because it does not match the next assignment. I get evaluated again in February instead of January, and if I am doing a good job I won't get another improvement plan. However for my contract to be renewed I have to have an all satisfactory eval at the end of the year.

I know this could work out for the best, but right now I am devestated, I do not know even what to think right now, I feel like I have been hit by a Mac Truck. :(

3. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Dec 17, 2007

I will be thinking of you. I really admire you for dealing with this. I had read about what happened. I recently was verbally abused and berated to the point that I had to leave a new job, my first teaching job that I had thought was a perfect position. I am still having occasional nightmares. They did this to me because one of their friends needed the job. There are NO teaching jobs here. I should have known something was up because I did not know anyone and that is a requirement in these parts. I am a very strong person and this really threw me for a loop. I was devastated and had panic attacks. I can still see them calling me incompetent in front of severely emotionally disturbed students. They mocked me and laughed at me and took my desk from me. It was a horror show. I can never tell you all they did....But, you know what? It was not me. Thanks to my husband and good friends and some really beautiful people on this board, I can hold my head high. Sometimes nasty things happen to us and we did nothing wrong. Please tell yourself that.

This transfer could be a blessing for you. I worked in a residential/alternative school as a TA and loved it. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget.

Take care and let us know how you are doing. I think you will be fine.

4. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Dec 17, 2007

I'm sorry you are sad.... I'm psychically sending you some good vibes...

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2007

wldy, I am so sorry that this happened to you. Thankfully, you do not have to put up with that principal anymore. I agree with sad that its not you and please know that!! I also think it could be a blessing in disguise.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2007

sounds like a fresh clean start for you. Be happy, be proactive. Reach out to others that seem helpful at the new school. Make it very clear to your new adminsitrators that you are there to do a grat job- come early, stay late, let them see you everywhere volunteering, helping kids, doing a bang up job...Give them NO REASON to doubt you. Hold your head up, go for it.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 17, 2007

Wishing you the very best.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2007

this is a second chance!

They don't come often, so stop looking for the bad and start seeing all the positives!!!!

It will be a big relief to work with smaller groups... You may end up loving it.

Would you rather have no job? Look on the bright side.

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2007

It is hard to see the positive side, especially since I am writing sub plans for all of my classes right now.....

I'm trying guys I really am trying to see the bright side. All I see though is that my dream of 20 years is a nightmare and I suck as a teacher.......

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2007

NO YOU DON'T:(

It seems to me that you were being mistreated and bullied. No one would do well under those conditions. Try to put those bad memories behind you. Start new. You can do it.

11. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 17, 2007

Don't think that for a minute! As sadundercover metioned administration sometimes has a hidden agenda. Just go into your new job with your head held high. Don't complain about the old job either. Then the new place will have nothing but good things to say about you and will be pleased with your positive attitude.
    Truly, you can't judge teaching by one place. I attended five high schools and have taught at five and I can tell you they all were so different! It is so weird how one place can think that you are the worst teacher and another can think you are the best thing since eggnog (or maybe candy canes)! There is a lot to say about finding the right fit. If your care about your students and a have a passion for teaching you will find a way!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2007

:hugs:
    It will work out for the best in the long run, I'm sure! Although, I do feel sorry for "homeless" teachers... It's such a pain not to have a place to put things!
    Good luck, and make the best of it. Sometimes having the smaller groups help you realize why you became a teacher in the first place (or at least for me, that gets fuzzy at times and small groups help clear it up).

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2007

How awful for you! I don't know your whole back story
    (not sure I read your first post), but whatever this admin. did to you, you do not deserve to be treated in an unprofessional way!

You are off to better things and in 2008- happy new year!

I must ask, why, why are you writing sub plans?? If they want you gone, gone you should be! ( I know, you don't want to burn any bridges or make things worse than they should be...but still....)
    SMILE!! :)

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 17, 2007

I agree about the sub plans. When they put a new teacher in the position, it will he his or her job to lesson plan. They will probably get some notice ahead of time anyway.

Regardless, be grateful you are no longer under the watch of the principal who put you on probation. The district must have faith in you or they would have just fired you. Teaching in an alternative program might be fun. It's a whole new crowd of kids, and you will get to work with them one on one and build some relationships. Get one of those rolling file drawers for your things.

Be thankful for a job! This will turn out okay! It's really hard but keep your thoughts positve... go into this thinking "I'm a great teacher and this job will be so much better than the other one!" The power of positive thinking can really make a difference. Say that phrase to yourself every day before you begin. It sounds super cheesy, but really, you will feel better than if you go into the job thinking this is your last chance and you suck!

15. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 17, 2007

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling this way. I guess I would be too if I were in the situation you are in.

But you are being given another chance... a fresh start... where you an prove yourself. This has been your dream for 20 years. Go for it!!! Don't give up because of one "person" (or whatever you would like to call him:p). If you are able to, use this as a lesson to your current students. Don't go into detail, but tell them to never let anyone crush their dreams and to continue on with their heads held high... just as you will be doing:):)!

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2007

I am writing plans for Tuesday and Wednesday.....that way the sub does not walk into a room that does not have the kids notebooks, their normal environment AND not have any idea what to teach. My union reps said it was a way to cya, just to be sure nothing followed me. I am not writing plans for after break.

I have all of break to get over being hurt and pissed, so far, I am not doing very well.

17. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 17, 2007

It will take time to get over feeling that way. But like sad said, this could be a blessing in disguise. You are getting away from THAT principal, and in a sense are getting a fresh start. DO NOT let this principal define who you are as a teacher. YOU know that you are a good teacher, now you have the chance to prove it in a new setting.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2007

Maybe you'll love this new structure. It can be so much more rewarding to work one on one, or in a small group, because you can really connect with the kids. I'm sorry this is happening to you, but I am happy that you are getting out of your current situation...it sounds like your administration has put you through hell.
    Kim

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 18, 2007

Like other posters have said, here's your chance to prove that you are a great teacher to a different set of administators. Your slate is wiped cleaned from the brow beating you took from someone that did not wish to help you.

My first teaching assignment was in an alt. high school, without a classroom and I loved it. I love the students - they are real and they expect you to be there for them. They really need could teachers and caring people. My situation was really very stress free mainly because the admin. staff was so incredibly supportive of the students and the staff.

Keep up posted - I will keep you in my thought and prayers as you make this transistion. You are a wonderful teacher and will now have the chance to show the greatest that is you.

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 18, 2007

I am sorry for your rough time, but make the best of the new start. Not that you would, but do not badmouth anyone or anything at your old position.I hope you have a great break.

21. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2007

Well I found out today that first off, other teachers knew yesterday what was going to happen to me. Before I did. Oh, and this isn't the first time he has done this. My union rep put aside her professional demanour today and well, told me that there was no way to give him what he wanted, and that was on purpose. I got a unfair hand and well got scre**d. And somehow knowing that helps me feel better.

Oh, one of his complaints was the MASSIVE number of kids failing. Well no one was turning anything in, so I put up the grades with everyone failing......and scared the poo out of them. Well it worked. I had three kids in my 7th grade classes passing, well I just redid their grades, I now have three kids FAILING. I have more failures at the 6th grade level, however of the 13 I have failing, I see 7 of them barely at all, and the others, well I would have to write for them to get work out of them. The 8th graders are not as improved, but the assignments they need to fix their grades were actually due today.....and well, how was I to get those assignments. They were also going to finish a quiz, which didn't happen. So that is their problem now huh?

I can say interactive notebooks can work really well. I just started them with my 7th graders and they went from classes where for most of the year nothing was being turned in to nearly every students turning every assignment in on time. Their problem is they were losing papers.

I am just going to have to go into the next job doing my best and well, just in case look for another job if things get worse again. And yes, Missy I won't bad mouth anyone from the old job, the only one I would want to do that about is my principal and well, he isn't worth my time is he? He is too much of a jerk.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 18, 2007

Glad you're feeling better wld... ultimately this is for the best.

23. smalltowngal

Dec 18, 2007

wldy, isn't it nice to know that improvement was made in your classes? Sometimes we get dealt a horrible principal that no matter how hard we try or if we're the best teacher in the world, you could never please them. I'm glad that you are taking a positive outlook into this new position with you. Good luck!

24. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2007

This whole situation just keeps getting odder and weirder!

First another teacher stopped by to invite me to a impromtu concert, since most of the kids in that class were in what would have been my next hour, I said no.....I did not want to cause a huge ruckus. I briefly told her why and well, she said she was not surprised, it was not the first time.

Then my union rep called and said she found out the principal has been telling people human resources made the decision, he was not in on it at all, and he was glad because he is tired of being made out to be the bad guy.....umm, well having been at the meeting with human resources, yeah, ummm, liar liar pants on fire!

Several of my students stopped by my room today while I was moving things out, and I told them briefly that I am moving to another school, they needed me more there than they needed me at my current school. I told them it wasn't my choice and I would miss them, and it would be okay to tell their friends. I also told my most trusted 1st hour student where I moved their things and that she should remember in case the sub doesn't find them.

Oh, the grades that he claimed to HR was the reason I had to go, once the kids had the time to get things in, well, I went from 114 failures to 22. I went from 2 A's to 30. The kids did that on their own, the only "grading gift" I give is the lowest grade you can get in my classes is a 50%, kids that do nothing still fail, but those that have a day or two that are really bad do not end up with a grade that is so low that it cannot be fixed. Of course I do NOT give the 50% to students who are suspended or are caught skipping my class.....I do not reward bad behavior. That policy alone is responsible for about 10 students who failed first marking period to be passing now, they knew they could turn things around and stopped giving up. However the situation will tick off quite a few parents, those that demanded their kids be in my class, those that had IEP's written specifically to put their child in my class (I have no inclusion teacher, but all my sped kids are passing.....)

Oh, I even found out from a janitor the P has done this to them too, one of the janitors only works in the building because of a court order due to the unjustified attempt at firing. But he said to bid my way back, why? The P has been planning on leaving for awhile......all I can say is the sooner the better.

One last thought, I wonder if the P thought about the statement that it was HR all on their own and he knew nothing about it, and how that statement makes him look like a buffoon that does not know what is going on in his own building.

To my surprise, I left with the support of most of the staff, to many of them, well they were not surprised and told me I will be better off out of that building. Shame everyone knows that this stuff goes on and nothing is done about it.

25. smalltowngal

Dec 20, 2007

wldy, its amazing how similar our paths are except I decided to resign. If he's on his way out, then maybe you can make your way back in next year. It's great that the other staff support you. You know that its NOT you and its the principal that can't see a good teacher right under his nose.

26. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 20, 2007

Wow, sounds alot like what I went through earlier this year too..........crazy crazy is all I can say.

27. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 20, 2007

I had a principal like that as well... she had me transfered but I got a new job before it happened. It makes me awfully mad that people like this are in control of our schools. Selfish, dishonest and small minded people should not have the authority to run places that are trying to make a better world for the next generation... Hmph!