Inviting my students to my wedding

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AMK, Jan 11, 2010.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

I am thinking about inviting my class to the ceremony (I am getting married 2/27). What do you think? Any suggestions on how to do it?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

I did this! I just sent invites to their homes, like I did to everyone else. I had maybe 6 or 7 come, and they were very well behaved. Granted, our reception was at the church and consisted of pitas, cake and sparkling apple juice. If you are having a very formal reception, it might be a bit trickier. I also invited every teacher, secretary and janitor-I thought including everyone was more important than a really glitzy reception. I think we ended up inviting 500 people-we had about 350 people actually come.

[​IMG]
    These are the students that came-the boy's mother actually did all our food/catering!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

We are having a very formal reception so no kids there. I was just thinking the church. I only invited a few close people from work: my grade partner, my class aid, another teacher and my principal (who has been great through everything the last 2 years with me).

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2010

We had an open wedding, so we just put the announcment in the newspaper and only sent invitations to out of town people.

I had one student who told me that his mother wouldn't believe him if he didn't have an invitation, so I mailed one to his house. And the let him come!

I got married during our fall break, so lots of my students were gone on vacation. I did have a few come.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

With my homeroom, I teach over 200 kids a day, so there was no way they were getting mailed.

I posted a copy of the invitation on my homeroom bulletin board, and mentioned to each of my classes that they were invited to attend the church.

A number them, and of my husband's kids (some of whom I knew from Speech and Debate, chose to attend.)

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

Jem, your wedding picture is beautiful.

But are you sure that the parents of those 7 young kids want their pictures posted online?

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

What grade AMK? I don't think I'd invite Kinders.

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

I teach kindergarten. I think only a few will show up, however I would love to invite the kids I had last year who are in 1st

10. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 11, 2010

One of my co-workers invited her students to the ceremony, not the reception and took a few pictures with them right after the ceremony. The priest also ackowledged them at the ceremony. Very cute!

11. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

In my predicament, as an art teacher to over 400 kids I personally wouldn't. In fact I honestly don't think I'd invite my students if I was a classroom teacher either. That's also because we're going to be doing a small family wedding, with no church ceremony.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

AMK- I think it's lovely that you'd invite your students to the ceremony!! Just make sure they have a 'grown up' with them!! Enjoy every moment of your day, AMK!!
    So excited for you...the days are winding down!!

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

Thanks! That picture is posted on our public classroom website, and they all have signed forms releasing it. And I'm still friends with all the parents of those kids. Not a coincidence they came to the wedding! ;)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

Friends or no friends. I would have a real problem if someone posted a picture of my children online for their own purposes.

And was it a relese to post the pictures for any purpose you choose, or on the public classroom site? Does the current principal have the rights to that site and the pictures contained on it?? The release forms I sign give permission to the school, not to its former employees.

There are simply too many predators out there.

Again, it's a lovely picture.

But as a parent, I would have your head, and would have each time you posted pictures of my kids.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

I think our photo releases at my school are expressly for school websites as well...While they say a 'picture is worth a thousand words', sometimes the words are enough...

As a parent, (I've also done some modeling and have had celebrities' children/child actors in my class) , it's important to know EXACTLY what you are signing, the uses of the photos, and the time limits on the photo usages...Even with a broad photo release, it's best to err on the side of discretion.

16. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2010

I invited all of my students to the church only(I had 40 that year, but also included a handful of ones I'd had over the years.). I teach PreK. I had about 24 show. It was very special, and the only time I teared up was when little Olivia whispered, as I walked past in a huge, floaty, white dress, "Mommy, Miss Manser is really Cinderella!"

I sent home a note invitation and directions to the church to all of the kids in my class. I didn't know who would come and who wouldn't. I have one of the most special pictures ever of me and my kids on that day - I'll always cherish it.
    Kim

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2010

Love, love, love it!!:love:Every bride should feel like Cinderella (or princess of your choice!!)

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

A friend invited her students...just to the church. But one family then invited themselves to the reception. I didn't go to the reception, but several peers did. Since alcohol was served and some people really let their hair down, there was some activities that got a little silly. The mother (who enjoyed the wine) made comments about teachers for several years. It made for some tense situations. I think it depends on your school size and how close you are to these families. My friend was not close to this family, but the mother thought that she had become Dee's new best friend because of the invite.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2010

I have actually thought about hiring students when I get married. I want a casual wedding, possibly at my parents' home. If I did that, I have thought about hiring some of the culinary students at my old school to serve the food, or possibly even have the department cater, and I have also thought about having the cosmo kids do my hair and makeup. Depending on the kids, I would probably also invite them to the ceremony. But now that I don't teach at a vo-tech anymore, I don't know. I wouldn't want any of my current students at my wedding.

20. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 12, 2010

WOW!! How awesome..If you care this much for your students how much more will you care for your own kids. You made a pretty bride!! Love It!!