Invitation-only job fair

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by curiouslystrong, Jul 23, 2012.

1. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jul 23, 2012

Just registered for one of these (haven't received my confirmation email yet, but then it's been less than half-an-hour since I submitted my form, so I probably don't need to be paranoid about it - right?) - it'll be happening on Wednesday. Has anyone attended one before? Are they basically the same as the average job fair, just more ~exclusive~, or should I expect anything different? Just curious about what I should anticipate going in. TIA! :)

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 23, 2012

I went to one once and it was pretty pointless because it was filled with riffed teachers from the district so unless you were in a very difficult to staff subject, it was a waste of time. Hopefully yours will be different since we are in different states.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

Usually these are reserved for people with some connection to the districts involved: subbing, student teaching, RIFed teachers, etc.

5. curiouslystrong

Jul 23, 2012

I student taught in the district - from all the information I have received, it looks like it is for recent student teachers.

6. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jul 23, 2012

I attended an "invitation only" job fair over the weekend. It was pretty crazy since I'm pretty sure you only had to have an active app with the district to get invited.

There were a ton of people, and I spent a lot of time waiting in line. Bring lots of resumes and some sort of portfolio. I didn't bring one, but a lot of other people did. One lady in front of me gave away DVDs of her teaching.

I didn't receive a confirmation e-mail after I registered either, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure it is open to select parties such as student teachers and those from schools that were closed this past school year.

8. curiouslystrong

Jul 23, 2012

The only reason I'm worried about that is that the "invitation" I received said that they would send confirmation emails, and no details (time, location, etc.) have been provided yet - they're supposed to be included in the confirmation email.

Thanks for the info, everyone - I feel like I know a little more about what to expect now, which is definitely nice :)

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2012

I attended one in NC when there was a teacher shortage. If you applied and they liked your resume, you went to the fair. You were either recommended or not. Then, principals contacted you to set up individual interviews. They ended up waiting too long to call (job fair was in mid-June). They didn't start calling until the end of July, and I had already accepted a job elsewhere. My phone rang at least 20 times from that district.

Good luck!

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 24, 2012

I wonder if the stakes will be changing due to the announcement today. Good luck.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

What announcement. We all don't live in the same areas so don't watch the same news coverage. Though I haven't watched the news in a few days anyway.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

13. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 25, 2012

By me the only invitation only job fairs that I've ever seen are open only to minority candidates.

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 29, 2012

Well the OP was asking about a Chicago job fair. CPS announced it would be hiring 477 new teachers, but they had to be from the displaced teacher pool. Many that would be going to the same job fair.