Investigations

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by teach57, Sep 23, 2007.

1. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone use the "Investigations" curriculum for Math? The school I'm working at is VERY into standard based learning. Many of the standards don't seem to be addressed in the Investigation curriculum. I feel like I'm supplimenting much of the curriculum to make sure I meet the standards. I'm just wondering what others think of this curriculum and if anyone has any suggestions on how to use it. I'm not a big fan of it and have used better curriculum in previous positions, but it's what I have now. Thanks for any feedback!

3. juc162

juc162 Companion

Sep 23, 2007

I am in the same boat with you. Although I don't use Investigations, my school uses standards based instruction. I supplement most, if not all resources right now. It's frustrating because I think what a lot of standards based instruction schools forget is that you should still have a text book. Only thing is the textbook should MATCH your standards. Hopefully out schools figure it out soon!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 24, 2007

I use the Investigations curriculum, and frankly, like it better than any other I have used (Addison Wesley and Everyday Math.)

I supplement as well. I always have, but this year I am doing guided math groups. When they are not working with me, they do "packets" which are just rote practice of skills needed and not covered enough in the curriculum, like practicing subtraction with regrouping after it's been taught. For kids in my class, it's just something that needs to be done over and over again. During that time they also do fact practice, play on the computer, work on story problems or play games from the curriculum

Before I did guided math, I would supplement in other ways. When they came to school in the morning, their morning work was always math. It often was telling time in the beginning of the year, then addition and subtraction practice (regrouping), then into multiplication practice, measurement, then geometry practice (angles, degrees, and so on). We mostly did practice of larger problems in the morning and the fact practice sheets went home as homework (mad minutes.) They did a sheet every morning, and it was maybe the first 20 minutes of the day. They took home 25 math facts a night for homework. I feel this supplemented very well, but don't know your state standards.

I do lots of other projects with the Investigations as well, often incorportating art- but that's probably not one of your standards. We play a lot of group games for mental math and story problems as well. We did a problem of the day, every day that was outside of the curriculum one year.

5. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Sep 24, 2007

We do Investigations-ours is pretty much inline with our standards. I'm having trouble keeping up with the pacing.

6. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Oct 1, 2007

I'm with you juc162. The school I am at now has standard based instruction. This year is the first year they have a real text book for anything and it is just language arts. This is my first year at this school (I don't even techinically have a classroom and have kids from other classes to lower numbers in a commons area, which is SO not an ideal learning area for students...but I won't go into that now...) and it's been tough switching to the standard based instruction. For those of you out there doing standard based instruction, any advice? How do you make it work for you?