Inventive Spelling

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Dec 15, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Dec 15, 2012

I love encouraging inventive spelling! I really think it does wonders in terms of getting kids motivated to write. However, being a new teacher, I do have a few questions about it…While my kids are writing, and sounding out all of the sounds, I often get the question “is this spelled right?” after finishing word. The word is usually spelled wrong (obv) but includes many of the sounds in the word, which I praise them for. My problem is I never know how to answer that question…I usually find myself saying “yes, look you included the e, g, and l (for the word eagle, for example)” However, my smarties come back the next day and say “my mom said this was spelled wrong”. But I feel like if I am always correcting them or being like “oh actually there’s an e after that” then I will lose their motivation to write.

I usually underwrite on their things later in the day when they are not around. I hate doing it in front of them because I feel like I'm just saying "how you wrote this is wrong, I'm going to re-write it the correct way".

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 15, 2012

I usually say, "Write the sounds you hear, and then I'll help you fill in the rest." I always underwrite with them so I can talk to them about correct spelling, i.e. "There's a magic 'e' on the end of 'make' so 'a' says it's own name".

4. Mrs. Rubble

Mrs. Rubble Rookie

Dec 15, 2012

I love writing with little ones! From the beginning, I talk about the writing process and explain that the whole purpose of writing is being able to communicate their ideas with others. When they are writing their first drafts, I will help my students "stretch" the words to hear the sounds but at this time, I don't focus on correct spelling. The only focus is getting their thoughts on the paper. Once they have revised their ideas with me, partners, parents, etc., then we will begin editing. With each student, I will focus on one spelling, punctuation, or grammar rule to correct. By narrowing the focus during editing, I have found that it's enough to improve each child's writing without being overwhelming.
    Best of luck!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2012

We talk about kid spelling and adult spelling in my room. So they spelled the word correctly in kid spelling.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 15, 2012

I tell them if they wrote all of the sounds they heard, then it is right.