Introduction/volunteer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by North Fork, Apr 6, 2023.

1. North Fork

North Fork Guest

Apr 6, 2023

Hi teachers,

I have posted here already but have not made an introduction...

I live in Southern California and am currently a caregiver. Want to transition into the teaching field eventually. I still bike near my former Middle School and decided to volunteer there. I applied and was approved last week. Will be there a few mornings per week and the school is very close by... slightly over 1 mile away! I will bike there unless it's raining or very cold (see profile for a photo of my bike... 1969 Schwinn Sting-Ray Fair Lady).

Although a volunteer at the moment I was told it can be a paying position, at the front gate and lunch supervision. Of course, that would be better, a paid position. I would eventually would like to be a teacher's aide. That will take some time, though, because I have a High School diploma and an AA degree (Associate in Arts) but not a BA degree. Incidentally, I have read that some colleges don't require tuition for those over 60 years old. Best, though, to make sure the school I will be at accepts whatever college I choose (online college preferred). My two favorite subjects are science and health. Also PE/physical education since I do bike a lot.

I have read through the Middle School threads on this site. Very interesting; a lot of useful information.

See photo for the entrance to "my" school.

[​IMG]

North Fork
    (Tony)

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 10, 2023

Good luck to you whatever you choose. You might not need to take any college classes to be a TA but some states require TA certification which involves some trainings or workshops and maybe testing.

North Fork likes this.
  4. North Fork

North Fork Guest

Apr 12, 2023

Thank you for the information. I will ask at the school I am at. And will post updates.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2023

I taught middle school for almost 30 years. I loved kids that age.

North Fork likes this.
  6. North Fork

North Fork Guest

Apr 21, 2023

I have read your posts here. Very good; enjoy reading them. Yes, kids that age are generally friendly and curious. I was at a bus stop near a Middle School; about 8 kids were there. One actually walked up to me and introduced himself. They were all fascinated with my Sony Walkman radio!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 21, 2023

I completed my student teaching at what WOULD have been my junior high if we had moved cities a few years earlier. It's a weird, wonderful feeling to get back to those roots. I miss working with 7th graders, but the older kiddos need me right now.

Also, :welcome::atoz_love:

North Fork likes this.
  8. North Fork

North Fork Guest

Apr 22, 2023

Thanks for the welcome. That's good you are where you are needed.

9. North Fork

North Fork Guest

Nov 21, 2023

Here is an update...

I did get approved to be a volunteer. I am helping out as a hall/restroom monitor. Fun to be on a school campus again after 40+ years. The kids have a lot of energy and are curious. They loaned me a table and chair. I put one of my vintage tabloid magazines on the table (see photo) to see if it would get any attention (Nov., 1984 issue) and it did. One girl asked how many of those do I have. I said hundreds and she asked if she could have one next time I am there. I agreed.

A neighbor on my street was actually the principal at that school for three years. I asked him if he would prepare a letter of recommendation and he agreed. I put it in a folder along with my resume and it is on the principal's desk. So I will see what happens; would be nice to be a paid campus aide or, even better, a teacher's aide.

[​IMG]

catnfiddle likes this.
  10. North Fork

North Fork Guest

Mar 29, 2024

Another update:

I am now in a paid position, not just volunteering.
    The principal at the school informed me of a position available... Special Education Trainee. Have only been employed there since last week (Spring Break this week).

I have already been in several classrooms. First as a volunteer in a science class as a visitor. Then last week I was in 3 different classes... one special ed and two English classes. Really interesting to be in an actual classroom again. Will be in the school again on Tuesday, April 2.

catnfiddle and miss-m like this.