Introduction : First Year Teacher .. Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ctsciencenut, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ctsciencenut

ctsciencenut Guest

Apr 15, 2017

Good Morning,

I would like to introduce myself. I am a first-year special education teacher at a private school for individuals with autism. I was a substitute teacher and instructional assistant for 5 years before getting my certification. I work with high-school age students and am currently working on college transition. I know I have found my forever job!

Any advice for a first-year teacher approaching the end of their first year?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 15, 2017

At least once a week, pause to think about what you want to improve on for next year. I write a list in the back of my calendar/planner about things I want to organize, make, and learn about. During the summer, I can work on my list.

Also, find a professional development book or class that you want to tackle over the summer.

I'm 45 and am finishing up my 24th year. When I stop working on improving my teaching, it's time to stop.

mathmagic likes this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2017

And at the same time - identify the many successes of the year. Both for your own sake, but also so you can analyze what made that so successful and continue that in the future.

It sounds like you're definitely happy here at the end of the first year, which is great!

5. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

Apr 17, 2017

I'm a second year teacher, and I also made a list of things I wanted to try to improve or do differently from year one to year two. I recently looked at that list, and I was able to cross off about half of it, so I was really happy! Absolutely keep track of what things went well too, so you can duplicate them and even improve on them for next year. Also, I'd say to make sure you take a little time to decompress once the school year ends. You'll have time over the summer to start thinking about school again.