Introducing Yourself

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teacherincanada, Feb 10, 2010.

1. teacherincanada

teacherincanada Rookie

Feb 10, 2010

Hi! I'm a new sub. I've just been working a couple weeks.

I'm wondering how you guys all introduce yourselves...

I'm reading a book on subbing tips, and it says to make a personal introduction (i.e. tell the kids a little bit about yourself).

I didn't say much about myself other than my name, so far. I also look (and am, haha) young, and didn't want the kids asking questions and figuring out I'm fresh out of teacher's college and am a newbie.
    I wish I had stuff to talk about like past teaching experience (I have done student teaching placements though), or having kids (which I don't).

I was wondering what sorts of things other subs share. Do you tell them about your pets, hobbies etc?

Also - any other tips on the beginning part of the day?

What do you do to set the tone? I think I am not starting out strict enough and have to struggle to keep control throughout the day/period.

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Feb 11, 2010

I write my name on the board, tell them my name and then because it's long tell them they can call me "Miss (first initial of last name)" if they would like (for some reason they get excited about that). I then tell them how long I will be there (one day, two days, etc.) After that I tell them that my big rule is that they are respectful to each other and me. That's usually about it, since you won't be there very long I don't think you need to waste teaching time to talk about yourself.

As far as management during the day, if they start to get a lil unruly I will ask "Are you being respectful?" and that normally squashes the issue. They will also "test" you by asking to get water, etc. the best and easiest fix for that is to simply ask them "Are you aloud to get water during class?" 9 out of 10 times they will get bashful because they were "caught" and they won't ask anymore.

I hope that helped a little! Keep in mind that I only sub elementary school so the discipline at the upper grades will need to be modified.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2010

I agree with New2....you dont need to tell them background information about yourself..your time is very limited...especially when you are in for a teacher who switches class periods.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 11, 2010

Be careful about the personal information. Once you start down that road, the kids will ambush you with question after question as a stalling tactic.

6. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Feb 11, 2010

I write my name on the board and mention it while I brief them on their assignment.

If I have practical life experience related to the assignment I might bring it up obliquely. The crux for me is "does this information help them understand/enjoy the assignment?" If so, I share as much as appropriate and leverage the teachable moment while it lasts.

The issue of discussing personal experience with the students reminds me of the story about zen monks carrying the woman across the river. I tell the story that needs to be told, then let it go.

7. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Feb 11, 2010

This will NOT work with upper grades or middle/high school - you can be assured that they will spin that to their advantage. Set the rules and expectations straight from the start. It's best to get info about individual classroom rules - such as drinking, eating in classroom, going to bathroom allowed during class, etc. in advance or ask for school policies.

If you don't have that info, set your OWN policy and keep to it. You will get a lot of cries that "Mrs So-and-So [the regular teacher] allows us to do that". You will then reply, "Well, when Mrs So and So is here, that is allowed. Now is not the case, these are my rules."

8. teacherincanada

teacherincanada Rookie

Feb 11, 2010

Thanks guys!!

I didn't do much of an intro (other than my name) either. I read in a substitute teaching book that you should/could do that.
    I didn't know if other people did or not, so I felt a little impersonable until I found out most people don't say much about themselves either! Haha.

9. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Feb 11, 2010

Elementary through high school I'll put my name on the board. I'll introduce myself to the elementary school kids, but for middle and high school I don't. I dare not do that to high school sinply because they're too old for you to introduce yourself. They can read (hopefully) the name on the board.

Classroom management can be a hit or miss, depending on the class, grade level, and school. A lot of the time the students will try to act up, well some will, more so than what they normally do with their regular teacher just because they see their teacher everyday and know him/her but don't know you. This is true for middle and high school students. They might act fine for their normal teacher but not so much for the substitute. It's nothing personal, it's just that they don't really care.

10. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Feb 12, 2010

That's why I said it will have to be modified. While teaching K-5 I haven't had any trouble when using these strategies.