Introducing yourself to your new class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jde3399, Aug 4, 2009.

1. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

On the first day of school, where I feel like I talk on and on and on about rules and procedures, I usually tell information about myself. What information do you tell your new group of students? Your whole life story? Or just a 2 minute summary and move on?

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Brief. I use my Me Bag which has a post somewhere on A to Z (from recent) to intro myself, and it is my way of modeling thier first homework assignment. With it, they have to bring in info on their name, so I tell that too.

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

I tell them I must warn you I have just been released from federal prison for torturing some students who misbehaved in my class.(Only kidding,although that might give them second thoughts about misbehaving)
    Seriously,I give them a brief outline of my background at the school and give them about 2 minutes to ask me questions on things they would like to know about me.As the year progresses,I will add things about myself that might be relevant to what we are discussing at the time.

5. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I model their star student time for them with my poster (that is identical to theirs) and I go through each thing on the poster and talk about it, which is what they get to do on their week, and then they get to ask me questions (also like their star time). I have found it is a great way to introduce myself.

Oh and at the end of every year, I have that class write letters to next year's class about my classroom, and about me, and I have the students read them on the first day of school and I talk about what the letters said about me, and how that makes them feel. "Oh.. your letter said that I play games... what do you think about that?" I think they believe it more coming from previous 2nd graders too.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2009

I read them a funny speech about myself, though it's not available online at all. You'd have to be a student in my room to hear it. :)

7. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I have made a powerpoint about myself in the form of a true/false quiz. Every other slide has a statement about me and students guess whether it is true or false. The next slide gives the answer and includes pictures that go along with the statement. Students then make a quiz about themselves to share. Students seem to really enjoy the powerpoint!

I also do the Bio-Bags, so I model it by showing the students what I have placed in my own bag.

8. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

I use whatever intro activity I have the students complete. It's a way to share, plus it models the task.

This year I'm doing the Get to Know You Necklace, so I'll make one right along with the class, and will share when it's time.

9. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I also do a little powerpoint to intro myself. This is also great to run on a loop during back to school night, or open house so that the parents can just walk back to the computer and view it at their leisure.

10. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

I share a couple scrapbooks with them so they can see that I am a real person and that I do similar things as them.

11. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

I have a book I made, modified an idea from mailbox magazine. (It's about 1 sentence on each page with a picture in sleeve protectors, put together in a skinny 3 ring binder.) I use the same topics that we make our all about us class book. So it covers things like how many siblings do I have, how many pets, my favorite color, what season I like. I leave it in the classroom library after I read it. The for the first week or so, I do share to model how so they learn more about me that way too.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2009

I use a powerpoint also. The kids like seeing my pets and pictures from summer vacations.

We also write a (very) mini auto-biography at the beginning of the year and I show them mine on the first day of school. We write a longer one at the end of the year with a scrapbook page of the year in second grade.

13. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

I have a Bulletin Board about myself that I leave up for the first week (until parent night.) I use that to talk a bit. During the first week we make personal license plates and they write journal entries about themselve and about what they'd like to know about me. We also do lots of community build in the first few weeks.

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2009

Our school is so small that most of the students already know us. On the first day, I begin with a brief welcome and get them organized with lockers and books. Then we attend a welcome back assembly, have lunch, go to specials, and have an afternoon Language Arts class then dismiss. We begin departmentalized classes on day two. I always like that we begin our curriculum as soon as possible because there's never enough time at the end of the year to get it all in.

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 5, 2009

Last year I played 2 truths and a lie with the class. It was really fun, I plan to do it again. Then, I have the kids write 2 truths and a lie on an index card. For the first week I read a few cards at a time when I have a few spare minutes. The students try to guess who it is